WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Traits of the Survivor

Copied from>  http://www.survivaltopics.com/links/wild-survive-forum/

Traits of the Survivor

More Articles Related to Psychology

There is more to survival than survival gear and skills. A survival topic not often touched upon is how personality traits of individuals effect their ability to survive in adverse conditions.

In nature’s great wisdom she has created a wide variety of people, no two of which share the same exact physical and personality traits. This is good and insures the survival of the species come what may. Even sluggards have their place in the world, but true survivors are typically people of action and skill.

Traits of the survivor include:

Commitment to Survive

When the going gets tough the most important survival skill is contained within your mind. You need to want to survive, no matter the situation and prospect of outcome. Survivors never give up.

Curiosity and Inquisitiveness

The desire to learn and discover how things work will hone your skills in a wide variety of subjects. Play is natures way of having you learn and develop skills in preparation for the real thing when your playful experience suddenly becomes the deciding factor in whether you make it or not.

Sense of Humor

What is known as Gallows humor has lightened the perceived load of many a survivor. Your sense of humor works as a pressure release mechanism. And if you can make light of your difficulties you are placing yourself above them, a good position from which to take the action you need to survive.

Dealing with Uncertainty

The ability to continue on through adversity even when there is conflicting information and uncertainty. The survivor takes action when action is required, trusting that as events unfold he can fine tune his approach and successfully achieve the desired outcome.

Getting Over It

The survivor mentality does not waste any time over past mistakes or losses. Dwelling in regrets and disappointments changes nothing and is counterproductive. The best way to survive is to do all you can for the situation you are in, and plan future action toward your best advantage.

Adaptive Capacity

Successful wilderness survivors have the ability to take charge and control the environment using their knowledge and materials at hand. They can improvise on the spot, quickly finding new workable ways where none existed before. Whatever happens, the best survivors tackle problems and find solutions.

Those who practice the survival arts become a special breed of person. The personality traits of the wilderness survivor spill over into successful everyday life. Survivors meet life’s challenges with confidence; they improvise, adapt, and overcome.

I've also heard that they often times have rugged, manly facial hair and a permanent grimmace of disapproval. :whistle:

I've also heard that they often times have rugged, manly facial hair and a permanent grimmace of disapproval. :whistle:

You know you might be joking but I think you may be closer to the truth than you let on. A grim determination and sense of humor are very important. With your skills, intelligence, training, and personality you and your family will be well served if the need arises.

You know you might be joking but I think you may be closer to the truth than you let on. A grim determination and sense of humor are very important. With your skills, intelligence, training, and personality you and your family will be well served if the need arises.

Why, Mr Robinson.... are you trying to seduce me?........  :love: cool14.gif 

People that are willing to break rules are more likely to do better in a survival situation than those that are follows rules and regulations.

Finding beauty in your surroundings is very uplifting even when everything is stacked against you.

Humor will get you through even the worst experience, whether your laughing at yourself or your mistakes or at the actions of others or circumstances that but you in the situation.

People that are willing to break rules are more likely to do better in a survival situation than those that are follows rules and regulations.

Finding beauty in your surroundings is very uplifting even when everything is stacked against you.

Humor will get you through even the worst experience, whether your laughing at yourself or your mistakes or at the actions of others or circumstances that but you in the situation.

Agreed, being able to laugh off any mistakes made by yourself or others and move on to possitive measures is much better than wasting the energy any anger or rage would use up. Most of the time in such situations severe anger or rage is a good sign the person has lost control and currently has no idea how to recover it.....,this is not good in a survival situation, such people will endanger an entire group. It is good to know pretty well the personalities of all people with you on a long trek. In survival situations during wars that type personality often begets "friendly"-fire

I have heard this also.

~ I think a survivor, has to be somewhat of a rebel. Like Adi said, if you're hung up on rules and the "law", you may be in for a personal struggle. During Hurricane Katrina, I saw a bunch of folks hauling color T.V.'s out of Walmart...  wading through waste deep water wth their survival "gear".   :whistle:

I'm sure the true survivors had already raided the outdoor camping/hunting section of Walmart while their counterparts headed for electronics...   happy061.gif

Also, I think (Just from watching Les on his show) that a true survivor is creative. They have the ability to use ordinary objects in extraordinary ways. They can look at something, and see how it can be broken down, and re-made into something useful. If  they don't have what they need, they find a way to make something else work.  :thumbup: 

A true survivor gets inspired by his/her situation...  they are resourceful,

like the saying goes ... "when the going gets tough, the tough get going."  It's the same thing.

Surviving is like any other game in life... it requires the right attitude:    :cheers: :no1:

"You carry on no matter what are the obstacles. You simply refuse to give up - and, when the going gets tough, you get tougher. And, you win."

"If you'll not settle for anything less than your best, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives."

"It's not whether you get knocked down: it's whether you get up."

"Regardless of what you do put in, every game boils down to doing the things you do best and doing them over and over again."

"Once you agree upon the price you and your family must pay for success it enables you to ignore the minor hurts, the opponent's pressure, the temporary failures."

"Success demands singleness of purpose."

Vince Lombardi

You guys are exactly right. A survivor uses everything he has to stay alive, including his sense of humor.

One of the best books I have ever read about real survivor situations is "BAT 21".

It's the story of a pilot shot down behind enemy lines in Viet Nam. Not only did he survive 9 days in extremely hostile circumstances, he was also able to report enemy movements, and call in strikes during a major offensive.

One thing that stood out to me was that he caught a caterpillar and made a small cage for it.

By caring for the caterpillar, he was able to focus on something besides his own situation and by moving outside his own pain, hunger and thirst, he could keep his mind working and ultimately escape.

Another story that covers some of the same kind of tricks to stay sane was a movie from the 1990s.

I can't remember his name, but the actor was the guy from APOLLO 13. Any way he was supposed to be stranded on an island.

The point is, his device to combat loneliness was a soccer ball he drew a face on. Called it Wilson. Same kind of thing.

The novel is a very easy read, a short novel, but really insightful into survival in the most hostile conditions.  :thumbsup:

I am afraid I am not much of a movie fan, at least the modern ones. Too insipid and self agrandizing.

The last Tom Hanks movie I saw was Bachelor Party. Maybe not a great movie, but minimally entertaining.                                               

I do run across information about topics like the ball Wilson in wierd places. While I have never seen the movie, the ball, like the caterpiller in Bat 21 both serve as examples of a very serious survival trick.

Humans are herd animals by instinct, and it is the rare individual that can put up with themselves in a serious situation on their own. With no one to bounce ideas off of, joke with, argue with, most people can not handle the strain and will sometimes loose their minds if not their lives.

Something to talk to can help stabilize the individual, and give them something to care for and thereby increase their chances for survival.

Just another trick to improve the odds.

Humans are herd animals by instinct, and it is the rare individual that can put up with themselves in a serious situation on their own. With no one to bounce ideas off of, joke with, argue with, most people can not handle the strain and will sometimes loose their minds if not their lives.

"Humans have two modes, Graze and Stampeed."  Can't remember who said it, but they are words to live by.

I'm pretty sure i would act out a survival show talking to the camera that is not there

i don't talk to my self just the camera

I'm pretty sure i would act out a survival show talking to the camera that is not there

i don't talk to my self just the camera

As long as you don't answer yourself, you're still in a good place. ;)

Good idea Tank. That would keep your mind focused and your frame of mind is utmost to your survival. Maybe the most important thing of all.

Thinking out of the box and I also firmly believe in visualization.  If you picture yourself doing something over and over you can often accomplish it.

Found this on http://equip2endure.com/

Understanding the Eight Enemies of Survival

When putting together survival kits, there are 8 enemies to your survival, that you need to overcome.

It doesn’t matter whether the kit is for someone going into the bush, or if the kit is being made for a teotwawki situation.

Taking care of these eight issues by stocking up your kit well will go a long way to ensure your survival in just about any survival situation.

Fear is the first enemy of survival…

Fear:

Fear often leads to panic and panic does no one any good…in fact it often kills. The best way to temper fear is by preparing with proper survival skills and survival gear.

Survival skills help reduce fear because you know that you can take care of yourself in a survival situation. Without those survival skills people who are lost are often so scared they don’t know what to do. They’re scared of the animals, scared of the dark, scared of being without all of the comforts of civilization.

Survival gear helps combat fear because it gives you the tools that makes surviving easier.

Complacency:

Complacency is a bane of modern life. Complacency is dangerous because it lulls you into believing everything is alright and causes you to ignore clear signs of danger. A good way to combat complacency is by practicing the art of relaxed awareness.

Relaxed awareness is similar to the art of meditation….it is achieved by being fully immersed and aware of your surroundings. A good example of relaxed awareness is when you are practicing defensive driving. After you practice defensive driving, you remember the entire drive because your mind was fully engaged and active the entire trip. Unfortunately relaxed awareness isn’t something you can pack in a bag, but you can practice it constantly to help ensure your survival.

Hunger:

Hunger can nag at you, slow you down, and eventually kill you. Combat hunger by learning primitive hunting and fishing skills.

Make sure that you have snare wire, survival knives, paracord, a fishing kit and anything else you can think of that will help you find and secure game and fish. Also, learn what wild plant in the area are edible.

Thirst:

You will die in only a few days without water.

There is no question about that.

Depending on your activity level and the environment, you will need at least a gallon of water a day. Knowing how to locate, store and decontaminate water is essential.

Always carry a way to store and decontaminate water.

98.6 degrees Fahrenheit:

If you can’t keep the core temperature of your body at 98.6 degrees, you are in a world of hurt.

Cody Lundin of “Dual Survival” fame covers this reality very well in his book “98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive“.

You need to be able to protect your body from both heat and the cold. Always have a way to make a quick emergency shelter in your survival kit.

Bivy sacks are lightweight and take up very little room. You also need several ways to start a fire in your kit. Also, always have clothing in your survival kit that is rugged and made for the weather of the season that you are in.

Pain:

Avoid pain at all costs.It can cripple, immobilize, or at the very least slow you down to the point that you are in imminent danger of losing your life.

If possible, carry medications to deal with it. Injuries are more likely when one panics or becomes fatigued.

Fatigue can be deadly in a survival situation and is the next enemy.

Fatigue:

Getting overly tired or fatigued makes the chances of injury greater and increases the dangers of exposure. One important thing to understand is that fatigue affects your mind just as much as it does your body. Arctic explorers discovered that if you sleep when you need to rather then pushing on, you will wake up when you become cold. If you push on till you collapse from exhaustion you’ll freeze to death instead of waking up.

Boredom:

Boredom is like a cancer that slowly eats away at morale. It is always a good idea to keep a way to entertain you in your survival kit. Something as simple as a deck of cards can do wonders for fighting boredom. To this one you can add loneliness…if the survivor is alone. Loneliness can be devastating.

As you can see, these 8 enemies of survival can all make surviving an emergency much more difficult…if not impossible.

By understanding them you will have a much better chance of getting out of your next survival situation/emergency alive.

The first step is understanding them, but the real key to your survival is learning how to deal with them.

How will you deal with these 8 enemies to your survival?

Source: http://www.survivalgearguru.com/survival-skills/the-eight-deadly-enemies-of-survival/