WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Dip Worms

I know some of you wondered what is a dip worm. Well you came to the right place. Im going to show ewe how to make home made fish baits for catfish and any other fish that decides to eat one.

First you will need hooks and snap swivels. I use NO. 10 treble hooks and size 7 snap swivels.>

catfishing004zd3.jpg

I found this surgical tubing at a medical supply store. Perfect size and color.>

catfishing005mk1.jpg

Than buy some bait. These are my favorites but may not be available in your area. Some dip baits are distributed nation wide though. Two of these are local manufactured. They are basically blue cheese bean meal and vegetable oil. Smell pretty wild sometimes.>

catfishing008qh6.jpg

Heres all the tools you will need and some monofilament fish string. This is 20 Lb. test>

catfishing010qw5.jpg

Ill do a titorial  :P  later to show how to make your own dip worms. The bait is "dipped" into the bait usually pushed in and rolled around with a stick.

I really love the way this camera leaves a shadow from the lens sticking out.  :curse:

First cut a length of tubing about like this. One inch one way or another isn't that important.>

catfishing012re2.jpg

Unless you have a small punch of some kind use your side cutters to notch a few holes in the tube. This helps put bait inside the tube>

catfishing013qs3.jpg

Tie the hook on the monofilament string. Now your on your own with the knot. My tiny fingers will not allow for a good demonstration of a proper knot. You can find that info on the net some where. Ill look for a link.>

catfishing017sg8.jpg

Tie on the snap swivel. Ill show you why a snap swivel makes this a better bait when I show how to use this bait. A little blurry but there you have it. String length is a matter of preference. See how the treble hook fits snugly over the tubing. The soft tubing will smash down as the catfish grabs it leaving the barbs of the hook exposed>

catfishing018zf9.jpg

Unfortunately, no catfish in these parts! Plenty of trout, bass and bluegill though! Cool rig though Swede.

I recently have been playing with a new flyrod for bluegill. It's been too darn hot lately though.

If you go smaller tube it might be best to use smaller hooks. Actually some use smaller hooks. The tubing I found looks to be 3/8 outside 1/4 inside.

My hooks are no.10 eagle claw. Pretty pricey with five packs. If I was going to make a bunch it would be cheaper to by bulk from Memphis Net and Twine. You can get by with cheaper hooks then eagle claw.

http://www.memphisnet.net/

I finally got the fishing fever. Were going up north a ways to Rock River to try for some catfish as soon as I can get my boat ready. Ill take some pictures of the dip worms in action unless we dont catch any thing. If that happens Ill pretend we never went.  :P

This bait is primarily a cat fish bait and then only channel catfish. Seldom does this combination catch any thing else. There are times when gar fish will pick them up and you will think a whale grabbed it but you wont catch him because they pick them up by the side. Bluegills have been known to grab them.

When the bite occurs the rod tip will begin pumping. Thats when they pick up the bait from the end and start swallowing it. There is no need to set the hook as the catfish will just start to swim away so all you need do is start reeling. Wait till your rod starts going over board or in the water to start reeling.

Ill try to make a video as soon as it cools off a bit.

This bait is primarily a cat fish bait and then only channel catfish. Seldom does this combination catch any thing else.

You mean dip worms AREN'T for catching the mighty chip fish?

LOL It's late here in Arkansas and I'm bored......

Your in cat fish central now Ant. Find a river and catch some. Good eaten.  :thumbup:

Alright, I've been waiting to hit the big one before I posted my catfish pics, but with my luck, it doesn't look like that'll happen so here's me using Dip bait technology and my mighty catch. 

They're planning a discovery channel show around this one. 'Worlds tiniest catch'.

Now, for any northern boys, the thing, our good friend Swede doesn't mention is the stink level of the bait that accompanies this particular method of fishing. LOL!

Anyway, I've caught 4 of these 1-2lb'ers.  Let's see if you can identify the breed.

catfish.jpg

Is it channel cat? What ever the breed, these pansize fish are the best to eat. Catfish to my taste buds are better on the bone, then flayed(sp).