WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Watcherofthewoods

What Gauge?

Hi  SK!

Good question.  Larger game would require something heavier than that used for rabbits (from what I've read).  In my Altoids tin survival kit I have some necklace beading wire (from Wally World or most craft stores) that I've wound around a sewing bobbin.  This wire is strong (.30) and the bobbin holds lots (40ft) of it, so you can combine a few strands of wire together if you needed something stronger.

The other nice thing about using craft store beading wire, is that you can also purchase the crimping beads to fasten the loops as well.

Just my 2.5 cents. :)

I bought some 19 gauge stainless steel wire (30 feet) at Menard's for about 4 bucks.  I think it would make nice snare wire.  It'd also be good for a whole host of other tasks.

Guitar 'D' string.  They're strong and thin enough to be inconspicious, come with a brass loop built in, and are self locking when pulled tight.

ant, I never gave a guitar stiing a thought.  The only time I made up a snare with wire, it cut the throat of the rabbit as it struggled.  That combined with the noises the rabbit made, brought a couple of hybrid wolf dogs over from my friends neighbors place (this was in Idaho) and they ended up fighting over the rabbit.  Interesting to watch the chain of events as they occured.

Guest smallgamehunter

#2 picture hanging wire or trip wire from ur local army surplus store