WildSurvive Forum

~ I think it's cute that everyone is trying to find some sort of use for the curiously strong Altoid's mint metal box!   like.... What all can we fit into this tiny box?  8|  Since it's made so well, we don't just want to toss it.  :nono:

;)

Roving, how do you fit all that in an altoids tin???LOL  

Rick, I was actually researching some of the waterborn diseases to post.  Here's a link to what I found on wikipedia which everyone may find interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

I find it funny that survival errata usually devotes multiple chapters on catching food. I mean, pow's have been known to survive up 30-40 days without food, and that's under the most negative conditions.

More often than not you read a survival journal, and it'll devote 1-2 pages on the subject of clean water, that's it. You drink E. coli laiden water, and you're emptying your bowels within 7 days to the point that your intestines are bleeding out.

Yeah, I have to say you were right when you initially questioned the kit.  I'm going to have to try the zinc oxide.  I've used anti fungals, but you're the second person to suggest it, so I figure it's worth looking into.

Taken, as King says, they're perfect for charr.

~ for battling fungus, nothing is better than Caldesene medicated powder (with Zinc Oxide). You can put it on your hand, and dip your hand in water, and your hand comes out dry. If you're gonna use Zinc Oxide, to protect against fungus, use it in the power form because it not only kills the fungus, it protects your skin against moisture to begin with. It's awsome stuff. :thumbup:

Use it on babies, and they will NEVER have diaper rash.....   ever. (never... ever.)

~ I think it's cute that everyone is trying to find some sort of use for the curiously strong Altoid's mint metal box!   like.... What all can we fit into this tiny box?  8|  Since it's made so well, we don't just want to toss it.   :nono:

;)

The round sours tins are excellent for charring cloth and carrying small tinder bundles.  I have several in my pack and they house my sewing kit, tinder, pocket FAK and sage.

I'd cache one close to the school within walking distance.

SK..., I gotta say I'm with Nurk here....., I know you don't want to think of such things but there are some dark scenarios that don't include the family car showing up...., I have little kits stashed all over the southeast in three states lol because I moved without getting out there to remove them. And as for the cheap knife....,would you really want to have to depend on it?

Took out the ranger bands-Wasn't long enough, took up too much space, and I couldn't get them to burn well. 

Added-4 water purification tablets and 1 motrin (All I could fit in the straw lol) oh, also a aleergy tablet.

Now, fishing with a line and hook is almost pointless.  How many times have you gone out for a day with your tackle box and come home with nothing?  You need something that guarantees fish.  That means cheating and using 'non-traditional' (and non legal) methods.  I don't mean you should carry dynamite in your kit, but a few cherry bombs work fine and they're legal.  As a kid we would often use them to stun frogs so we could catch them. It wouldn't hurt them, but they would be out for a few minutes.   Other things like nets, fishing pots, etc. These things are slightly less effective, but will GUARANTEE a meal and are more re-usable than the cherry bombs.  Point is, if you rely on a hook, what happens when you get a snag and lose it?

Sorry, I meant to post this last night but I was really tired and I wanted to get up early today and hit the woods for a while as it is my first Saturday off in a while. Now..., while I do agree that being completely dependant on fishing line and hooks for catching fish is a big mistake, having a fish hook or five and some line in an aquatic environment is far from pointless. Around here if I were to run across a "survivalist" here in my part of the country that had no hooks or line in his "bug-out" kit I'd think him not particularly studious, and missing out on an easy way of gaining sustenance that takes little room and weighs practically nothing, and can be used using very little of your energy by tying the line to limbs which hang over the water or jugs tied to limbs. If needs be both floats and weights can be made in the bush from natural materials. The little room used up by the hooks and line can provide you with calories while you construct more long terms measures like traps, nets, or tidal pools and in most cases you can even be working on other projects while the limb lines work for you. Some of the time fish just swallow the bait hook and all, the limb gives so it's hard to snatch the hook loose and if you have a swivel or two they can't even twist the line until it rips the hook out. I've even had times where I've caught a small fish which accidentally became the bait for a larger one. Anyway..., that's my two cents. All I had with me today as far as fishing gear goes was some line, a few hooks, some weights, and a few flies (which I need to learn more about using). I actually ended up using natural bait and I used a downed tree limb for a pole and I caught four bluegill today in less than forty five minutes. 

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,3087.0.html

I "sacrificed" some of my bait chumming the fish and once they got all excited I started using a hook and could have had a nice dinner of flame roasted fish and blackberries if I hadn't already had my heart set on fried porkchops, mashed potatoes and gravy, and carrots...., I haven't cooked all week and I miss my cooking...., don't tell Lisa I said that, her cooking is very good...., just not mine...., mine's more fattening lol.