WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Our Fishing Trip To Canada

The last week in August I will be in Saskatchewan Canada fishing. My self and two buddies will take my possum van with a 16 foot jon boat with two small outboards. A 9.9 and 15 horse. I NEVER go out with one motor for obvious reasons.

The entire road trip from here will be approx. 2500 miles round trip.We drive straight through with one driver sleeping. One of the guys works a third shift so guess who drives through the night.  We usually leave on a Friday evening traveling north and than west into Iowa and than north to Minneapolis St Paul north west to Pambina a Canadian U.S. border crossing. North into Winnipeg and take route 6 up through Manitoba. Cross west to The Pa and on to Flin Flon Manitoba. This is our final travel north. We cross over into Saskatchewan to Amisk Lake and to the end of the road here>

http://www.tdamisk.com/

The lake>

http://www.ilec.or.jp/database/nam/nam-44.html

I NEVER go out with one motor for obvious reasons.

Dad and a buddy spent 6 hours one day rowing (without oarlocks) a 16 foot tri-hull fiberglass bassboat back across 3 miles of water against the wind.  The big motor died and the trolling motor battery only ran for a short time before dying.

Edit:  Dad was pretty tough in those days before his heart attack, and he came home that day and went straight to bed.  I'd never seen him that tired before.

If we leave at 6 Friday night we expect to arrive around 6 to 8 o-clock Saturday night.Amazing if you think about it. We can be on the lake fishing Sunday.

Those long trips can be pretty disorientating.  I remember Tess and I driving to Texas from Indiana, 20 hour trip.  I think I drove like 4 or 5 hours in the middle.  Once we got there, Tess went to bed, but I only had to crash after about 40 hours awake.  I'd stayed awake after my stint of driving.  First time for me in TX, I figured there was a tarantula, scorpion, or fatal snake hiding behind every bush.

Who's gonna be in charge :D

They pretty much look to me because Ive done this trip many times but if things are going good no body needs to make any decisions. I run my GPS on the north end of the lake where there are so many islands you can get turned around. This is a place where your pretty much on your own. You tell the lodge owner where your going and when you will be back and if you dont show up (and that happens quite a bit to customers) he will come looking. This lake is huge and goes over the horizon and there is many many miles of shore line. The water temps are so cold that being in the water is usually death even with a life jacket.

A high wind coming up can make the lake an ocean fast. Ive lost a few years off my life battling the waves trying to get in somewhere to lay over.