WildSurvive Forum
Swede

How Do You Use Trioxane

I have never used trioxane.

Can you light it with a mag stick?

Can you use small pieces for tinder starter?

Can you light a small piece with an ember on char cloth?

Will they let me take it across the border in my Van or boat?

Under relatively warm conditions (above freezing) I have ignited it with matches, a lighter, a strike force, a mag stick, and a fire steel as in the thread on the canteen cup stove

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,2465.0.html

however in the thread I did right after I first joined (have no idea why I put it in the image galleries)

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,2296.0.html 

where the temp was like twenty below I had issues with trying to get it to light with a strikeforce (like the firesteel much better) and just lit it with a lighter. However it may have been from an older batch...., I have quite a few packs around..., some older than others

Yes you can use small pieces as it doesn't usually take a whole bar to light a fire even under wet conditions..., but it doesn't store well for long periods of time once the package is opened.

You could probably light it with an ember (not sure about char cloth) by blowing..., be carefull though and don't inhale any fumes.

As for the border I have no idea at all other than I sort of doubt it from what Woods said..., that's more a question for one of those crazy Canadians...., you'll have to ask Mice, Ant, or B.B.

I see theres formaldehyde in it.

How about scraping and make a small pile than a mag stick?

Like MW states, trioxane works well with several ignition sources.  I don't carry the stuff.  It's toxic when used in enclosed areas like a shelter, so I carry other firestarter tinder and use the Esbit fuel for stove and emergency firestarter.  Smells bad, but won't dry clean my lungs any more than they already are.

I like triox and have used it for several years.

True, it doesn't store well once opened, but for a weekend to warm a cup of tea or soup, about 1/3 stick will do the trick.

It lights easy, burns hot, leaves very little ash.

I use a couple rocks to build a stove, light it with whatever means you have, and boil your water or warm lunch. I never use any of the pre-made heat sticks in an enclosed area as most let off a lot of carbon monoxide when burning.

A small piece will burn hot enough to start very damp tinder, and it burns in wet conditions. I have never had any problem starting it in the cold either. I usually use a zippo lighter to start it, but the flint on a mag stick works fine.

I haven't looked to travel to Canada since they enacted the draconian firearms laws so I don't know what the rules are there for triox.

Overall, it is one of my favorite survival products.  :thumbsup:

Well Ok than I guess that answers that. Im sneaking one bar in the bottom of my tackle box. I dont think they would think that was a threat to Canada but Im not sure. It may set off their bomb sniffer. So if you dont hear from me for a month or so you will know where I am.  :scared:

My two buddies will be wearing our wildsurvive T shirts and some ones is going to ask and one thing leads to another and I might end up doing some fire starting stuff. I would like to get at least one started.  :P  :blush:

Trioxane is the most versital stuff out there! Good question on the charcloth sparking! If the big bar is too big, they sell smaller half bars that are easy to rubberband to a kit or knife sheath.

For a quick trip, a couple packs of this stuff is the way to go. Its my go to firestarter. I put some in a hobo stove to get it going quickly.

It has differences to Esbit, which is my favorite, but Esbit needs a flame to start. I've never had trouble with Trioxane taking a spark. Perhaps wind would blow away the fumes that actually take a spark, on older bars, not sure. A friend carrys powdered Trioxane in drugstore pill capsules. Shelf life of this method is unknown, but may be good if you rotate the stuff. He hasn't reported any problems.

Like  sh4d0wm4573ri7  said. Rough it up a bit by scraping it, and it lights easily with a flame or sparks. Lights with a flame scraped or not, but to light with sparks its better to expose some of the inner surface.       

I have a bar of the stuff I have not yet even opened.  I was wondering about cutting it into smaller pieces that would fit into a pill bottle to transport and store.  If it is sealed up, would that allow it to be stored for longer periods of time after it was open?

I have a bar of the stuff I have not yet even opened.  I was wondering about cutting it into smaller pieces that would fit into a pill bottle to transport and store.  If it is sealed up, would that allow it to be stored for longer periods of time after it was open?

Much better to just leave it in the foil pack it comes in. Even in a bottle it would be exposed to the air around it and lose its effectiveness.

I bought some of this after Mistwalker recommended it to me a year or two ago and have used a couple of bars to light fires , my question is what is the shelf life if it is left in it's original package ?  I have 3 bars left that are almost 2 years old , so are they o k ? I'd hate to be in a situation where i really need it and it's no good .

I have some that is older than that. I will have to try one out and see. But I would think as long as it is in its original package it will stay goo. I have glow sticks that are old that still work well. And they have passed their expiration date

Well i tried it today this one was over 2 years old in the original wraper , it was a bit broken but it lit with the first spark !

s7301378.jpg

s7301380.jpg

s7301381u.jpg

s7301382.jpg

s7301383g.jpg

I've got some that's well over ten years old, and as long as it's stored in it's original container it should last much longer than that.  I got a huge package of it from Sportsman's Guide back in the late 90's for dirt cheap. I have a couple of bars in each of my survival kits/BOB's.  Sometimes you may open an old bar that has some crystalline particles that have formed on the outside of the bar but inside the foil package.  It will still light easily, I just knock the crystals off on a rock first.

I like when old threads surface.  I missed this one.  I was given some triox and haven't done anything with it.  Thanks for sharing this info....I didn't know much about the stuff.

Guest smallgamehunter

it does make a good tinder and it takes a spark from a firesteel extremely easy

I like when old threads surface.  I missed this one.  I was given some triox and haven't done anything with it.  Thanks for sharing this info....I didn't know much about the stuff.

Don't inhale the fumes, and try not to get it on your hands...or try to rinse your hands if possible afterward. How I did it in this video is the best way to open it.

i5SMmRDZbCg

It will work well past the expiration date. Even if it becomes all powder in the pack it will light. But as Mist has said don't get it on your hands or inhale the fumes.