WildSurvive Forum

Well  I finally got my jungle hammock in from Amazon. I took some pics and made some notes upon setting it up.

Picture007.jpg

It roles up into a small package and could be rolled even smaller if need be. The weight is about 1lbs.

Picture002-1.jpg

Unrolled it is about the size of an average sleeping bag. You will need to watch the ropes because they will try to tangle.

Picture004.jpg

One thing I figured out fast was that the ends need to be tied high on the supports (5.5 to 6.0feet). 

Picture006.jpg

Upon trying it out I was impressed with the level of comfort. The only thing I feel would have helped would have been some type support bars on the ends to keep the hammock a little more open and not give you the feeling that you are in a cocoon. The mesh cover or top works great and no way limits your movement. There is plenty of room to move. You will have to provide your own cord for supporting the cover  though.  One of my concerns would be the zipper it just does not appear to be military quality.

What size person would these be good for?  I have a small hammock and the only time I tried to stay in it I realized it was WAY TOO SMALL! 

I have not stayed the night in it yet, but what time I tried it out I was more than comfortable and I am 5'10" and weigh  210 lbs. Now I may not be near as happy after a long night  trying to sleep. Hopefully I will be able to let you know before long. 

That's alot like the one I had.  You're going to want to keep a blanket under your butt as the material isn't thick enough to prevent skitters biting through, plus it'll help flatten it out making it somewhat more comfortable, if that's possible.  Maybe I wasn't accustomed to it, but I got a total of 3 hours sleep in the 2 nights I used it, and my back ached for a week.

At least it has a zipper, the last one I saw had velcro and was only rated for 200 lb gear and all. A poncho liner works well for hammocks, it is padded, is also warm and is very light weight..., it's also quick drying. I think the level of discomfort and the length of time you will be able to deal with it is relative to how taught you have the strings, and realizing they are made for sleeping  mainly on your back in. They do also take a little getting used to, I used to have a regular hammock near the fire pit at fish camp and slept in it a lot, but only five or six hours at a time. You have to remember..., the guys who created the design for the military issue jungle hammock spent hard days running, ducking, dodging and often fighting. As a general rule they didn't sleep till exhaustion and fatigue set in, they would only get a few hours sleep at a time, and they wanted to be held like a cacoon, sometimes they were on the sides of steep ridges and high up.

How do you figure Speers is better than Hennessy? Is there a comparison review somewhere? I couldn't find anything and they both offer great options.

People I have talked to who own them and they say both have their pros and cons. But they say speers are the better of the two. To me either one would be a good choice.