WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bowhunterbob

do we have any bowhunters in the house

I see alot of people enjoy hunting but most posts are about firearms. are there any members that enjoy bow hunting and if so what do you hunt ? i myself hunt elk and deer along with a variaty of small game with the bow anyone else?

Well, I don't hunt with my bow, not that I wouldn't, but I couldn't... I'm pretty darn short and the bow I currently have is a youth model.  Max 30 lbs...so if I ever want to hunt I need to upgrade that.  Would love to, other stuff just always seems to get in the way! :)

In the mean time, I just love to shoot it!  My hubbie set up a target range in the back yard for me, marked to 60 yards, so my goal this fall is to get accurate w/o any pins.  I already shoot with only one, so it should not be too difficult to just ditch that one, too! Simplicity is marvelous... :thumbsup:

I had to sell my bow this last year... after a ten pointer walked right under me, and my shot-through shoulder just would not answer... could not get the bow pulled back.  LORDY, that was a BAD DAY.

So I got my sooperdooper 150-pound pull crossbow.

Safer than a regular bow, I have discovered.  And bloody well DEADLY ACCURATE.

I love it.

I have shot it twice in earnest.  Got one hog, and one big buck.  Can't find fault with 100% success rate...

Unca Walt

Yeah, even with the Xbow or compound, practice is important, but with the longbow and recurve, daily practice to retain muscle memory and keep the eye sharp is extremely important.  Don't want to wound the animal, which is entirely possible if practice isn't a priority with the weapon.

Bravo:  Do I train with the crossbow?

ABSOLUTELY!!

I had to get a special target thingy.  A "regular" bow (say, a modern compound) will pull generally -- as a maximun -- about seventy pounds.  Most are set in the sixties or lower.

My crossbow pulls one hundred fifty pounds!!  YIKES!!!

That means my crossbow arrow will go right through a standard bow target without even hardly noticing it.  So I practice on a solid target, not a foam or hay or mat target.  But practice I do.

A glorious difference... a truly GLORIOUS difference between a bow (even a compound) and a crossbow... is that with a crossbow, you can be completely relaxed while you are shooting.  You simply cannot be with a bow, because you must hold the arrow back yourself with arm strength. 

This means you will start to tremble sooner or later as you STAND there, waiting for your prey to walk into range.  I highlighted the word "STAND" because... WOW!  With a crossbow, you can SIT there comfortably and wait...

This, I have discovered, is simply wonderful if you are an old, shot-up fart like Unca!

I realize that I have digressed into why I really, really prefer a crossbow to a compound or recurve or standard bow, but I can't help it.  SOme of the advantages are obvious only after somebody points them out.

For instance, a bowhunter has to be aware of where the arms of his bow are going to go when he releases... if they bonk into his stand, or the ground (if he is foolish enough to try a kneeling shot), the arrow will go galley-west.

That don't happen with a crossbow:  the crossbow is held horizontally, and the bow arms don't hardly move.  And you can leave the crossbow LOADED as you sit and wait.  That means:  NO MOVEMENT to be detected by the deer.

The guy with the bow hasta stand up, nock an arrow, pull the bow back, wait (trembling), and hope the deer did not see alla that movement.

OK... alla the above was not the question.

Yup.  I target practice.  :)

Unca Walt

Yes, crossbow has many advantages. But so does a rifle over a crossbow :)

I like shooting with a bow, I don't know why.

Yabbut... we ain't talkin' firearms...

That's a whole different concept. 

There is, surprisingly, an advantage to using a bow relative to a firearm:  If you MISS with the gun, the deer is gone in a flash.  But I got lucky year before last with my bow...

I released the arrow just as the deer decided to move quickly.  The arrow went harmlessly over the deer.  It jumped a little (wondering what that was that went "clunk" in the jungle floor) then went back to browsing...

I did NOT miss with my second shot.  Caint do that with a gun.  <sincker>

But apples to apples:  having used both, I can tell you truly:  a crossbow is FIELDS ahead of a standard bow in all aspects you can name:  range, ease of use, safety, kill-ability...  everything.

Unca Walt

With my crooked arm from a broke elbo I had to give up on my recurve. Ive killed a nice buck with the recurve and several other animals includeing a red fox one time but now I also have a crossbow. I havent hunted with it for three years though. Like Walt says the deer I shot with it the arrow went clean through and stuck in the ground on the other side. She didnt go far.

One thing I learned the hard way about cross bows is watch where the limb is before you pull the trigger. I didnt think about the limb hitting the trunk of the tree I was sitting in when I shot at a deer one time. The end of the limb hit the tree when it straighten out and almost knocked me out when the bow hit me in the side of the head.I saw stars. 8| :blushing: