WildSurvive Forum
Askdamice

My Bushbag (recent pics)

Here is the most recent list of the items I keep in my “Bushbag”. Bag items are in constant flux as climate, terrain and occasion all dictate what I bring with me. I am sharing with you the most often used items.

Rick

BushbagContents1.jpg

I divided the pic into sections to make it easier to identify items

BushbagContentsA.jpg

Area A (clockwise from upper left)

compass and whistle

safety glasses (UV rated, clear lens)

ferro rod, striker, magnesium block

safety light

GPS

BushbagContentsB.jpg

Area B (from top)

various lengths of paracord

brass wire

spiderwire 50lb test

poly-cord 300ft

duct tape (missing from pic)

large garbage bag

bandana

BushbagContentsC.jpg

Area C (clockwise from upper left)

canteen

metal canteen cup

purification tabs (chlorine based)

canteen cover

BushbagContentsD.jpg

Area D This is my basic tool/repair kit that remains in the bag ALWAYS (clockwise from upper left)

home made pine tar soap

elastoplast bandages (missing from pic)

leather thong

bic lighter

jute twine

sewing kit (contains: 2 needles, waxed linen thread and 3 coin buttons)

oak sharpening block

automotive sandpaper (assorted grits up to 2000)

dual grit sharpening stone

fishing kit (Contains: 4 flies, 8 hooks, split shot and spiderwire 50lb test)

7hr tea candle

beeswax

zinc oxide cream

BushbagContentsE.jpg

Area E (from top)

elastoplast bandages

small gauze pads

alcohol preps

hand sanitizer

steristrips

antihistamine tabs

toothbrush

toothpaste

deodorant stone

antibacterial wipes

large pressure dressing

BushbagContentsF.jpg

Area F

Army ALICE butt pack... courtesy of Mistwalker. (modified with leather shoulder straps and reinforced stress points)

BushbagContents2.jpg

All packed in individual cases for easy identification in low light.

BushbagContents3.jpg

Bushbag is packed with room to spare for additional items. Canteen cover mounts to bag with a bianca clip.

If you are questioning how the bag's strap is attached... here's a pic and an explanation...

The strap is sewn to the pack and backed with leather on the inside for strength. Then I riveted a length of webbing from the leather strap to the pack cover so the wieght is distributed through the cinch straps and into the shoulder strap.

BushbagContents4.jpg

Nice kit Rick. Is the light a PAL light?

Yup.... its a PAL Safe Light. Runs on a 9volt battery. 20hrs on highest setting.... 1yr on lowest!!! (and you can read at night on the lowest setting)

I've gotten some questions about this kit (and the lack of knives) recently, so I feel the need to add this...

I keep two blades on me along with my hawk under my belt or in my hand. And although it didn't make the list... I have been known to keep a multitool on the strap of the Bushbag.

I'll explain my kit set up a little more in depth. I probably should have done a thread on my ENTIRE gear config to answer questions about the apparent gaps in this one.... lol.... maybe I will, soon.

But for starters...........

My kit is layed out in a simple, 3 level system... let me give a brief explaination...

The first level is my "Primary Gear" which includes my Knife, a Firepouch and my Neckpouch... this is kinda the "bare bones" kit that gives me the ability to make fire and a tool with which to make what I need.

The next level is my "Secondary Gear" which consists of important items for repair, hygiene, navigation, food procurement, first aid, etc.... This kit provides me with many items that are difficult to come by in nature.

The last level or "Tertiary Gear" is the icing on the cake. Modern conveniences such as a tarp, sleeping bag, shovel, saw, stove, extra food, clothing, etc...

I wanted to have these levels separate from eachother and carried in such a way to allow me the ability of shedding these "layers" of comfort. Thats why I carry my Primary on my belt and in my pockets.... my Secondary in a shoulder bag and my Tertiary in a backpack. That way, none of them interfere with eachother and I can just "drop and go" without the hassle of digging through my pack for essential gear to bring on a day hike.

The shoulder bag is comfortable, light and strong. It fits snugly under my arm and doesn't swing forward when I bend down. I have instant access to essential gear. This really works well for me.

Rick

I am glad you put the butt pack and pouches to use, the kit looks good bro.I know you well enough by now to know you're a lot like me as far as the blades go..., you don't include them in every conversation as their presence is just a given. However..., I feel mine is missing one thing..., at least, I'd like to know if you or anyone else knows where to find a stainless steel version of an exacto knife blade or utility razor blade...., some sort of very small, light weight but extremely sharp blade...., maybe a scalpel , (can you buy those? I used to get them from the E.R.'s  :whistle:) to help with those in the field surgeries and contengencies.

Oh..., and kids make good pack carriers when they get older..., lol, just ask Sarah  :P

How do you make the pine sap soap? Is it just pine tar and ash?

To me, soap making wasn't "just" anything.... lol. Its a pain in the neck. I couldn't find any recipes for pine tar soap so I had to experiment. Basically... make vegetable soap and add the pine tar to the oil mix before combining it with the lye solution (wood ash and water). I made all the mistakes like pouring too soon (before the trace), pouring too late, substituting ingredients and not allowing it to cure (min 2weeks) I wound up getting it right.... ONCE... and swore never to do it again unless absolutely necessary.

Wow Rick, you are way more prepared than I could ever be dude.  I love the kit.  

BTW what do you use the brass wire for?

Mainly for repair and campcraft.... I use the spiderwire for snares mostly

I think either yarrow or doc.., can't remember which right now, makes a decent soap just crusing the stalks and adding some water.

I know a few cool 'recipes' for natural hygenic stuff. I'd just never heard of pine soap.