WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Holly

Rock Identification

You guys are simply amazing. :yes:  I can't believe how well you know your rocks, guys.  It's wonderful, and I appreciate your help so much. 

I googled "rock identification" and found that the first sample is "Galena".  Isn't that a pretty name?  I'm still trying to find the second one... 

Wow!  I found a great website!  www.bestcrystals.com

I think the second sample is "CHRYSOCOLLA"

This is interesting...its composition is Basic Copper Silicate

LOL!  Here are its "Metaphysical Properties": Communication, inner strength, promotes harmony. Helps one attune to the earth.

Corresponding Astrological Signs: Gemini, Virgo, Taurus

Chakra: Throat

Oh, dear...I think I'm sliding into a metaphysical state...hahahaha!

Yes, the last sample IS fluorite!  Here is a picture from the www.bestcrystals.com website.

fl87bue0.jpg

Here are the stats on this one...uh oh...I have to keep it out of sunlight!

FLUORITE

Composition: Calcium Fluoride, with small amounts of yttrium and cerium

Hardness: 4

Occurrence: Usually found as isometric cubic crystals, or massive formation.  Our fluorite specimens are from China and Mexico.  Specimens may also be found in Ontario/Canada, England, Colorado, Illinois, and Kentucky.  The name fluorite is from the Latin "fluere," which means "to flow," because it melts easily and is used as a flux in the smelting of metallic ores.  Fluorite is used in the manufacture of steel and hydrofluoric acid.  It is a staple in one's stones used for determining hardness of other stones in the field, because of its rating of 4.  Be mindful that fluorite is relatively soft stone, and can scratch or chip easily.  Fluorite occurrs in a variety of colors, including colorless, green, blue, purple, magenta, pink, yellow, or a combination of several colors.

Metaphysical Properties: Offers a stabilizing energy, facilitating order, balance, and healing.  Excellent for clarity of mind, objectivity, concentration, and meditation.  Aids in grasping higher, more abstract concepts, and to be discerning as to the truth or reality of a given situation.  Balances and cleanses intellectual and physical bodies.  Strengthens bones and teeth, and is used for dispelling illness in its early stages.

Corresponding Astrological Signs: Pisces and Capricorn

* Do not leave Fluorite in direct sunlight for long periods. The color will fade!

From left to right out of my collection>

Fluorite crystal polished

Zinc ore

Mahogany obsidian

Florite

Ruby in a matrex

rocks001gt1.jpg

Oo oo... I wanna guess...I wanna guess...  :hugegrin:  I'm thinking you have a lovely chunk of Lazurite there (aka Lapis)  is there any pyrite in that big, beautiful chuck o' rock?  that is the best way o tell if its lapis rather than sodalite; lazurite almost always has some pyrite as an accessory mineral.

Oo oo... I wanna guess...I wanna guess...   :hugegrin:  I'm thinking you have a lovely chunk of Lazurite there (aka Lapis)  is there any pyrite in that big, beautiful chuck o' rock?  that is the best way o tell if its lapis rather than sodalite; lazurite almost always has some pyrite as an accessory mineral.

I am impressed... I was thinking sodalite, because of the lighter shades of blue mixed in, but the pyrite has it, that's lapis.  I've got a nice chunk on my mantle at home.

Interesting tidbit, I grind up a piece of lapis every now and then grind it with some quicklime and chalk and make 'mummy beads' for my wife, who's a bead fanatic.  Another one of my many un-interesting hobbies.

I was thinking sodalite first too!  Oh how I envy you folks who have rocks growing "wild and free" around them, LOL!  :hugegrin: I have been gradually moving the parking lot at work onto my desk because I keep finding nice crystals of hornblende! I guess thats my tradeoff for having a beach.

Mummy beads, huh.. That sound pretty cool!  :thumbup:

I am impressed... I was thinking sodalite, because of the lighter shades of blue mixed in, but the pyrite has it, that's lapis.  I've got a nice chunk on my mantle at home.

Interesting tidbit, I grind up a piece of lapis every now and then grind it with some quicklime and chalk and make 'mummy beads' for my wife, who's a bead fanatic.  Another one of my many un-interesting hobbies.

I want to hear more about these mummy beads too!  :woot:

I want to hear more about these mummy beads too!  :woot:

I ended up buying a couple of 5000 year old ushabti, which are little funerary statues, a few years ago, at an auction and needed to display some of the smaller neck worn ones.  So, I looked up the formula for making mummy beads.

More accurately they're called faience.  In ancient egypt they'd often grind up colored stones to make much of they're artwork, including beads and fettishes (little stone animal carvings, not bedroom toys), and more often than not, the stone they would use is Lapis Lazuli. Hence the reason most of their 'art' is blue.

It's pretty easy to make.  3 parts powdered lapis lazuli, 1 part quicklime, 1 part chalk...OR you can cheat and use 3 parts lapis, and 2 parts durabond 90.  It's a bit more synthetic, but the finished product is 99% identical.  Saved me alot of hard work, needless to say.

A piece of tourmaline that size would cost a fortune.

On the blue one have you considered azurite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azurite

Not really. Amethyst is worth a good bit of change, but raw, they're dirt cheap.

here's a resource I found a while back. They've got a great database and  you can narrow down searches by adding details about the stone.

http://www.mindat.org/advanced_search.php

Heres two pieces of tourmaline I bartered for at a rock shop. The guy wanted arrowheads I knapped and I wanted gem stones. These are watermelon tourmaline. The finished piece is a marquee cut and was chipped when he tried to set it in a ring. It was till 90 bucks chipped. I traded some nice points for both pieces.

rocks011ip0.jpg

Heres a piece of lapis with the pyrite on it. The blue piece is azurite pictured before. Azurite is mostly clusters of crystals however the piece has few crystals therefore a cheaper specimen but it is azurite.

rocks017vg9.jpg

Lapis is a lighter color of blue while azurite is a darker blue.

This is a piece of petrified dinosaur poop. What is it called?>

rocks024sf1.jpg

The front has been cut and polished>

rocks026ih5.jpg

Heres a piece of lapis with the pyrite on it. The blue piece is azurite pictured before. Azurite is mostly clusters of crystals however the piece has few crystals therefore a cheaper specimen but it is azurite.

Lapis is a lighter color of blue while azurite is a darker blue.

not to question your rock big guy, but azurite, as I know it is really crystaline and often shows as round nodules, kinda like the pic below.  At least in every rock shop I've been in... but I could be wrong.

800px-Azurite_from_China.jpg

not to question your rock big guy, but azurite, as I know it is really crystaline and often shows as round nodules, kinda like the pic below.  At least in every rock shop I've been in... but I could be wrong.

800px-Azurite_from_China.jpg

Now thats a purty rock!

rocks024sf1.jpg

rocks026ih5.jpg

rocks024sf1.jpg

rocks026ih5.jpg

"crap"olite?