WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Holly

Rock Identification

Lets put the two together.>

rocks017vg9.jpg

rocks005cz8.jpg

Well that doesnt help much because of the lighting in the photos. Actually the blue in the lapis is lighter than the azurite. You can see in your post how dark blue azurite is while lapis is a lighter blue.

The picture posted is a top of the line specimen of azurite. My piece is a cheaper specimen. If you had the rock in your hand you can see the crystals like on the left of your example only smaller. 

You can see in the jewelry the different shades of blue in lapis. In any specimen the deeper color sells better or is of higher quality.

http://www.reliosjewelry.com/category/color+stone+jewelry/shop+by+stone/lapis+jewelry.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=all

Another hint is the back side picture of the azurite. The colors closely resemble malachite and azurite is an example of malachite.

Another hint is the back side picture of the azurite. The colors closely resemble malachite and azurite is an example of malachite.

That's why I thought lapis, since malachite is almost exclusively green, and the background looks turquoise to me.  Some of the pieces of lapis I have at home are really light in color, almost verging turquoise.

My monitor colors, on this laptop may be a bit sketchy so I'll take your word for it.  It is your rock after all. LOL

Ok, Ok... I'm gonna be a real butt- munch here and toss in my .02    Color is the least diagnostic property for rocks and minerals and should be used as a referance only. (I'm sorry, but this is what I've been studying in school for what feels like a MILLION years!!)

Lazurite and Azurite are in two entirely different mineral classes. Lazaurite (aka Lapis) is a silicate, sodium calcite aluminum silicate sulfur sulfate. The blue color of lapis is derived from the sulfer.  Where azurite is a carbonate, copper carbonate hydroxide and its blue color is derived from the copper. If that isn't enough, you have a lazulite, which is also that beautiful bright blue, but is a phosphate, magnesium iron aluminum phosphate hydroxide.

Whew...that hurt my head...Its been a few years since I've taken minerology and, well... no rocks in southern DE. My professor in that class made a point of using hand samples that were NOT the expected colors, so we mostly had to rely on streak, hardness, accessory minerials and crystal habit (eg. cubic, dipyramidal, dodecahedral and a bunch of other junk I'd just as soon forget,  :woot:) The best way to tell if you have an azurite rather than lazurite is the pyrite or to use hydrochloric acid, as a carbonate, azurite should fizz.

Jumps down off her geo-soap box!  Sorry...I just couldn't help myself..... :blush:

Swede, that sure is a lovely rock!  :thumbup:  Mom the kids and I drove to Washington this summer, and I have a whole pile of rocks I've been classifiying as I get a chance, but nothing like that! My  new treasure is a chuck of Mt St. Helens pumice (got before it was a Nat Park) that my friend out there gave too me and a chuck of shale with a perfect braciopod impression. Found that one on a field trip to VA in the spring.  If i can ever figure out how to post pics....

Sometimes you just get lucky when I found these pieces in Southern Illinois put together by an old fluorite miner who was in his 80s. He glued the many pieces of fluorite together with a hot glue gun. We tried to remember what I payed for them and we agreed it was 20 dollars or less. I would have given much more for them. He had them for sale in his daughters restaurant in a tiny town on the Ohio River.

Getting them home in one piece was a challange they are so fragile. This is the first time they have been out of the display case.>

deer002qz0.jpg

Nuker lime quarts was ground and fired for years to make the green fruit jars and tinted window glass. Some early windshields were made from lime quarts.

Yeah, didn't mean that green quartz doesn't exist...I have just never seen any.  I'm not fond of green that much, so I'm more of a lapis lazuli, crazy lace agate, blue star sapphire kinda guy.  I have probably 2000 pounds of semiprecious raw sitting around that I haven't even looked at, let alone categorizing.  I inherited the stuff from my grandpap, and I have been a pretty rock collector for 40 years.

Ok, Ok... I'm gonna be a real butt- munch here and toss in my .02    Color is the least diagnostic property for rocks and minerals and should be used as a referance only. (I'm sorry, but this is what I've been studying in school for what feels like a MILLION years!!)

Lazurite and Azurite are in two entirely different mineral classes. Lazaurite (aka Lapis) is a silicate, sodium calcite aluminum silicate sulfur sulfate. The blue color of lapis is derived from the sulfer.  Where azurite is a carbonate, copper carbonate hydroxide and its blue color is derived from the copper. If that isn't enough, you have a lazulite, which is also that beautiful bright blue, but is a phosphate, magnesium iron aluminum phosphate hydroxide.

Whew...that hurt my head...Its been a few years since I've taken minerology and, well... no rocks in southern DE. My professor in that class made a point of using hand samples that were NOT the expected colors, so we mostly had to rely on streak, hardness, accessory minerials and crystal habit (eg. cubic, dipyramidal, dodecahedral and a bunch of other junk I'd just as soon forget,  :woot:) The best way to tell if you have an azurite rather than lazurite is the pyrite or to use hydrochloric acid, as a carbonate, azurite should fizz.

Jumps down off her geo-soap box!  Sorry...I just couldn't help myself..... :blush:

WOW! That kinda turned me on, I'm going to need a cold shower now!

I'm starting to see a trend here...survival...arts and creativity...rock hunting...  Seems to me that it all goes hand in hand, and we're pretty passionate about it.

Thats right Ant. Thats exactly what I told Les Stroud. In effect any outdoor activity has its connection. Hiking golf somewhat the same. Hunting survival along the same lines. I told him were all part of a community and were all part of it from the guys like you (Les) to our forum to the people who sell and manufacture outdoor products are all just links in the chain all part of that community. No part anymore important than the other.

I am trying to include other outdoor activities into our site.

I am going to post some pics of our rock collection tonight, I had some on photo bucket but can't find them.., some we went out and bought, others we've found on our hikes.

I am trying to include other outdoor activities into our site.

Co-ed nude vollyball???    :naughty:

Wow, I've been talking to Swede way to long.  :S

Here are some of my stones I've collected over time.

The three speres are; Top and the darkest one Hematite, The brown is a geode, and the green one is...., um well. I've forgotten for the moment, The piece to the far left is a slab of petrified wood, the are also Amethyst, Cytrine, Obsidian, Jaspar I believe, blue and painted agate, and some round stones I found in a creek, sorry about the quality, lol,  I have learned a little about this camera since then and I'll take some better pics when I take pics of the other ones

stones-1.jpg

Co-ed nude vollyball???    :naughty:

Wow, I've been talking to Swede way to long.  :S

I thought you were actually channeling Swede for a moment there!  :rofl:

Now no one wants to see nakid men playing volley ball.  :puke:  I was thinking womans beach volley ball maybe.

Nice collection there Misty, it'd be nice if you can get some more up close shots when you have time.

I will some time this week, maybe tonight, lol, now I know how to set the focus on this camera better.

My guess  :unsure:

Green> Quartz

Black> looks like Zebra Obsidian

Red> Amathist

Yellow> Citrine

Blue> Onyx

Pink> African Malachite

stone2mm3.jpg

My guess   :unsure:

Green> Quartz

Black> looks like Zebra Obsidian

Red> Amathist

Yellow> Citrine

Blue> Onyx

Pink> African Malachite

stone2mm3.jpg

As I said the picture quality sucks...,though you can barely see any grain lines the green is the slab of petrified wood..., I'll try to get some better shots tomorrow in natural light but it may be wed. when I don't have to go after :isa before I go to work

Nice collection mistwalker :thumbup:

Thank you, I am really partial to the hematite sphere..., lol, it is a present Lisa bought me...., on her birthday when we were first getting together.