WildSurvive Forum
survivordan

Backpacking Stove Choices

I'm looking for a relatively (Under $100?) cheap backpacking stove. Heres what I think it should include:

-Easy to use

-Meant for a beginner

-Pref. under 1 lb.

-Flame control dial (like on a latge camp stove or a home range)

-Uses an easy-to-find fuel

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it....

MSR Dragonfly. These days you should be able to find one for under $100.00. This doesn't have a "dial" flame adjustment, but it does work very easily.

MSR Pocket Rocket.  Was under $40.00 when I bought it and it does everything I need it to do (boil water fast) and it weighs just 4oz, plus 7oz for the fuel canister.

I found a Pocket Rocket at Gander Mtn. For 49.99. I'm gonna try to get it. Nice and light. Fuel is light and compact, too. I may be able to find one cheaper.

I'm thinknig of getting an Esbit stove for simple meals. Any advice, experience, etc?

Esbit stoves are very light and compact but I find they take a long time to get water to boil.  One good thing about and Esbit is that if you run out of tablets you can still use a small wood fire with the stove.

Guest smallgamehunter

i would say the pocket rocket from msr is my top choice i cooked for 4 days on one canstier and u can get it from cabelas for 39.99

I think you'll be happy with the Pocket Rocket.  Great little stove. 

Have you picked up any cookware yet?  I went cheap and picked up a SnowPeak SS set.  I think it cost me under $15.00 and it does a good job for single meals.

Guest smallgamehunter

pocket rocket also works extremely well with a military surplus canteen cup and those small cast iron fryin pans from cabelas that have the candle in them

I think you'll be happy with the Pocket Rocket.  Great little stove. 

Have you picked up any cookware yet?  I went cheap and picked up a SnowPeak SS set.  I think it cost me under $15.00 and it does a good job for single meals.

Yeah. I have all the gear (pots, pans, lighters/matches, food etc.) Except for the stove itself, and the fuel.

I ordered an esbit stove with 15 boxes of Trioxane fuel bars  off ebay last week. I have been wanting one to carry in my survival pack for a while and finally broke down and bought one. I got the stove and trioxane bars for $6.99 which seems like a pretty good deal after doing some ebay surfing.

I used a German army Esbit stove with esbit fuel for many years and they work great.  The trick with getting maximum efficiency out of the Esbit, is using a wind screen and a rock.  A piece of HD aluminum foil, paper clipped to form a circle around the stove and made high enough to cover part of the pot, blocking most of the wind.  The rock, really a flat pebble, will get the fuel closer to the pot, which also helps to heat water faster.  I still carry an esbit with me on hikes, because I usually am just going to heat water for a hot drink. 

I ordered an esbit stove with 15 boxes of Trioxane fuel bars  off ebay last week. I have been wanting one to carry in my survival pack for a while and finally broke down and bought one. I got the stove and trioxane bars for $6.99 which seems like a pretty good deal after doing some ebay surfing.

Careful with the trioxane fuel bars.  Some sellers include stuff that is fairly old and it isn't nearly as efficient as the new stuff.  Also, Trioxane fuel needs to be used in open air, because it is highly toxic.  I still have several boxes of the stuff and use it to start fires in wet weather.  That is, when I remember to take a pack or two with me, lol.  The Esbit fuel stinks, but is a lot more efficient, being able to separate each tablet into 4 pieces and it isn't nearly as toxic as the trioxane fuel, so it can be used inside of a makeshift shelter that is adequately vented.