WildSurvive Forum
tsegura

Cougar Sightings

The bluish parishes are where the sightings were first in the north then the south , the grey is the parish i live in, i hope it doesn't decide to go east !

lastatemapzo0.gif

w421.png

tsegura, with all the construction going on, we're going to see more and more wildlife as it gets pushed out of its habitats. :yes:

Ive been tracking one for four years around here. I actually have a picture of a track taken two miles from my house. Ive seen him once my wife has seen him twice coming home after midnight ( dont get any ideas she works second shift as a nurse). My buddies girlfriend that lives about five miles from here has seen him twice once last year and again this spring. My neighbors wife has seen him clearly for a long period of time laying on a downed tree trunk about four miles from here. The cat was totally aware of her and showed no fear. He slowly walked off and began to circle her until her husband showed up with his Jack Russel terriers. The dogs smelled the log and would have nothing to do with it.

One day sitting on the porch of my cabin a few miles north west of here I clearly heard him yowling coming through the timber and called my buddy while I was listening to him. He must have heard me talking and shut up. I have a record on my google earth program. Ill get him on film sooner or later.

No body believes me.  :cry:  Except my wife and my buddies girl friend. They KNOW what they saw.

They're a nuisance here in NorCal. They're everywhere. I was out on a job once standing in the middle of a small country road talking to a guy who wanted to subdivide a piece of his land. As we're talking 3 deer, a doe and 2 fawn come walking towards us in the ditch side of the road. When they were about 50 feet away out screams this cougar, grabs one of the fawns by the neck in his mouth, and up the oak tree he goes. That whole scene took about 2 seconds. The property owner went and got his rifle but we couldn't find it afterwards. That was one of those moments you just wish you had a "hat-cam" running.

bobcat001jx0.jpg

This cougar or bobcat,(whichever u want to call it) was at my friends home in Golconda, Il, waiting to catch one of her rabbits.....When he went outside, the cat ran off.....

Hummm hard to tell. It does look big for a bobcat but its most likely a bobcat. Good picture. You dont get many chances like that.

Hummm hard to tell. It does look big for a bobcat but its most likely a bobcat. Good picture. You dont get many chances like that.

Too bad it was foggy that day,or may have shown up better

I know a fellow that has a picture of a cougar taken with his game camera and you can ID it as a cougar with no doubt and Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife still say it is not a cougar. There has been several sightings though not confirmed, here in our area and they will not even intertain the idea that we could have them here. I am not sure if they are that sure of themselves or are afraid they might acutally find some.

LATEST COUGAR SIGHTING IN LOS ANGELES

akdmdq8.png

Ashton Kutcher 30, Demi Moore 46  :thumbsup:

Ive been tracking one for four years around here. I actually have a picture of a track taken two miles from my house. Ive seen him once my wife has seen him twice coming home after midnight ( dont get any ideas she works second shift as a nurse). My buddies girlfriend that lives about five miles from here has seen him twice once last year and again this spring. My neighbors wife has seen him clearly for a long period of time laying on a downed tree trunk about four miles from here. The cat was totally aware of her and showed no fear. He slowly walked off and began to circle her until her husband showed up with his Jack Russel terriers. The dogs smelled the log and would have nothing to do with it.

One day sitting on the porch of my cabin a few miles north west of here I clearly heard him yowling coming through the timber and called my buddy while I was listening to him. He must have heard me talking and shut up. I have a record on my google earth program. Ill get him on film sooner or later.

No body believes me.   :cry:  Except my wife and my buddies girl friend. They KNOW what they saw.

I just got off the phone with a man who lives approx 40 miles north of me who reported to the Galesburg paper that him and his wife and neighbor saw two cougars near their house. He is the same victim as my wife and I who have seen one ourselves. No one believes you. The cougars were mousing in a field near their home. They were there long enough for them to call their neighbor so they could see them. The conservation police stated to the paper that there was a problem because cougars dont travel in pairs which is totally false.

A so called expert from a local zoo said cougars are no threat to humans.  doh.gif    That the only time you need to worry is if you come face to face with one. Thats the dumbest thing I ever herd some one say. They ALWAYS attack from the back.

The man is going to send me some information he received from the police and stuff. Im going to send him what I have gathered plus the picture I have of a track taken one mile from my house.

Cougars in Illinois

All my life I have heard stories from people that they saw a cougar and I always dismissed them until I saw one. Going to work early one morning I saw one cross 116 State highway just east of London Mills while driving up Spoon River hill.

Later that year I obtained a photo taken by Bridget Gray who lives on her farm two miles south east from London Mills of a cougar track. I still have a copy of that track. I will gladly show it to any one and let them decide.

There has been many sightings around this area to date between London Mills, Ellisville and Avon so Im not alone. Until you see one for your self you will be skeptical.

The article that recently appeared in the Galesburg Register mail of a sighting north of Galesburg by four people doesn't surprise me in the least. I contacted Perry McFarland, the eye witness of the sighting,and he concurred the disbelief you suffer from the public.

I found this disclaimer in the Illinois Dept of Natural Resources on the internet>

IDNR Addresses Recent Internet Rumors of Cougars in Illinois

Photos being circulated claiming to be taken in Illinois are actually from Wyoming

SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) is addressing recent internet rumors claiming photographic evidence of cougars in Illinois. These photos are being falsely identified as being taken in Illinois – in many cases claiming to be taken near Findlay in Shelby County. The photos are real, but appear to have been taken in 2001 or 2002 in Lander, Wyoming where cougars are common. The internet rumors have been circulating throughout Illinois via email and usually misidentify the location of the photos.

“While it is not completely impossible for a cougar to be found in Illinois, sighting of a wild one is highly unlikely,” said Acting IDNR Director Sam Flood. “Wild cougars have been found in neighboring states but again, very, very rarely.”

Flood also addressed rumors sometimes mentioned in these hoax emails that the IDNR is releasing these animals into the Illinois ecosystem.

“It is absolutely not true that the Illinois Department of Natural Resources is releasing cougars anywhere in the state for any reason,” Flood said.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

My problem with Mr Floods statement about internet rumors could have started from another report I found a couple of years ago on the IDNR web site that addressed "endangered species" and the reintroduction of them in Illinois. On that large list was the reintroduction of Gray Wolves, Bobcats and Cougars in Illinois.

Try as I might I couldn't find that list again on their web site.

Since there have been many accounts from local people in my area in the past two years of Conservation vehicles sitting along the road ways with tracking antennas sticking out of their windows it makes me wonder if indeed they have reintroduced some thing into this area. I doubt that they have attached a tracking collar to a wild turkey.

Here's my problem with the statements appearing in the Register mail. Conservation Officer Darin Pitchford said "Some of the things don't add up"?

Since the four eye witnesses said they saw two cougars Pitchford stated "cougars do not live in pairs". WRONG litter mates do indeed travel together for quite sometime.

Than Sara Mackey, a naturist from Prairie Wildlife State Park, stated that cougars are NOT a threat to humans". Thats an amazing statement considering the number of deaths that are growing from cougar attacks. Dont take my word for it just look it up on the internet.

She goes on to state "Only if someone is face to face with a cougar would they be in danger". WRONG again. Unless you "come face to face" with a female guarding her cubs most cougars will usually shy away from a face to face encounter. In fact most attacks from cougars are from the rear or your back where the go for the back of your neck. They attack from the rear. Could it be possible that Wild Prairie Park lost one and doesn't want to admit it?

Since my sighting of a cougar Ive been collecting information around this area of Illinois of other sightings. There are many that are unquestioned. My concern is the quick  attempt to discredit the sightings by the Conservation Police. Do they know something we don't? My wife Sharen, a second shift nurse, while driving home at one in the morning spotted one crossing the black top just past the south Knoxville city limits. It bounded across the road in two jumps right in front of her car. Her accounts of the long tail and size of the animal were quite clear and visible in her lights. She has no reason to lie and its difficult to compare her description to any other animal.

This kind of information leads me to understand why sightings are down played by athorities if in fact thats whats happening. It could be just denial by those who have not yet seen one but I wonder what the people of Knoxville think about a cougar in their back yard?

The Register Mail article continues>

"Illinois' last verified wild cougar was shot in Roscoe Village, a north-side Chicago neighborhood. The 122 pound male cougar traveled 950 miles from South Dakota."

Amazing information. The cat must have had a South Dakota license plate pinned to his butt. Another shot by a hunter in Mercer County in 2004.  The truth is they are showing up in Illinois whether rarely or not. Lets graduate from denial to reality.

There is no doubt in my memory that I saw a list posted on the Illinois Dept of Natural Resources of the planned reintroduction of gray wolves bobcats and cougars. I could not find that list again any where but this must be why. Click on this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page where it has the list Species in Greatest Need of Conservation and click on it. The page has been removed.

http://dnr.state.il.us/ORC/WildlifeResources/theplan/species.htm

Guest smallgamehunter

they said the one shot in chicago had a radio tracking collar linking it to south dakota

SK - This one was near my parents farm. Did you see how this mountian lion magically changed from a female to a male overnight?

Thats coorrect. The DNR is down playing the threat of a cougar attack in both states to keep the public from being alarmed. The question is are they covering up the fact that they have released some to thin the deer populations because of mounting highway crashes.