WildSurvive Forum
tsegura

Cougar Sightings

Young males will travel farther on their own (assuming without the assistance of a DNR trailer) to find a new territory.

Young females will normally establish a territory next to their mother's territory, so finding a female would imply that if they did move into the area on their own, there would be territories established along the way all the way in from where they came from.  In this case, finding a female in this area would imply that females have established territories all the way back from where they moved in from, all they way across Iowa from South Dakota.

I have also heard unsubstantiated rumors that the males released were neutered, which might explain some of difficulty determining the gender of this one.  I have not heard of any wild mountain lion neutering clinics in the area, but I hear they might be funded by the new health care bill working through congress...

There was a big thing in the paper about 2 or 3 years ago where a mountain lion had been spotted about 12 miles from our house, also had a teacher who swore she saw one out on her property. 

What is the whole reason behind covering it up?  Does it cost the state more money if they are present or what?

:woot:  I dont think its in the health care bill.  happy097.gif

My brother from Bloomington saw a bunch of government vehicles with" Illinois Dept. of Home Land Security Wildlife Management" on them. He said they had a satellite up link set up. He kept driving by trying to get some pictures with his cell phone. Whats that all about?

If the DNR is bringing them back in, the public is completely unaware of this.  Anytime a government agency does something sneaky, it will cause an uproar.

In this case, people have the perception that mountain lions are lurking about day care centers waiting to snatch children.  Read through some of the comments on the KCRG web site along with the article.  People don't understand that these animals, although large predators, prefer to eat deer and will stay away from people if at all possible.

Guest smallgamehunter

:woot:  I dont think its in the health care bill.   happy097.gif

My brother from Bloomington saw a bunch of government vehicles with" Illinois Dept. of Home Land Security Wildlife Management" on them. He said they had a satellite up link set up. He kept driving by trying to get some pictures with his cell phone. Whats that all about?

maybe they are training the cougars to take down terrorist cells

Last year that list included cougar and gray wolf. Its not on there now.I saw it and checked it out again later now its gone.

Guest smallgamehunter

#1 on the list Canis lupus (gray wolf )1

I missed the wolf but still do we really need gray wolves?  I think what ever they let loose had tracking tags and thats what the red tags in the ears is all about.

Guest smallgamehunter

theres alot of stuff the DNR has let loose that we dont need.

although grey wolf and bobcat would thin the deer out and cure the supposed urban deer population problem

have you read the friggin posts after this acticle on the news site.....holy crap!

its kinda hard to take anything of this lightly being a nature lover and a hunter.......you cant have one without the other....and respect for both is a manditory thing.

some people posting after the article itself were going off the friggin deep end, its insane

he would have used the gun.....he would have knifed the friggin thing!

talked to him last week, he is doing well

North Carolina just had a sighting too.......and she just had a birthday!!!

ha!!

This just in>

A friend of mine who lives five miles west of my out in the country in southern Knox county and some what removed and near a large timbered area has a disturbing story to tell. I just talked to him on the phone. Yesterday his wife came home and went out about 200 feet from the house to feed a young beagle. The dog was gone and the standard dog chain was broken. She discovered the dog down over the hill dead. Their was blood coming out of his nose and neck with part of the chain still hooked to the collar. Her husband Kieth Brown and her went out to see the dog when he returned home later that day. Now the dog had been moved farther down the hill.

Kieth (Brownie) said the links in the chain were stretched and he said he uses the same type chain to hold his lab and the lad cant break it.The area the beagle was chained was grass so no tracks were left.

I have to ask "what animal would have the power to kill the dog and break that chain"? There are no other dogs any where near his place.  Coyotes will kill beagles that are running loose but it was daylight when it happened and a coyote couldnt break the chain either.

Last fall Jenifer Schisler saw a cougar cross the highway in front of her car just a mile from Brownies house.

Coyotes will kill a beagle but the question remains "can a coyote break the chain"? Brownie said several links were pulled out straight.

Coyotes will kill a beagle but the question remains "can a coyote break the chain"? Brownie said several links were pulled out straight.

Was it a welded chain or twisted? Healthy feral animals have a lot of strength and if the chain gave before the rivets on the colar I'm thinking the chain wasn't all that strong. The tooth pattern would be a good clue but you'd probably have had to skin the dog to see it clearly.

They need to take a sample of the actual chain and pull hard enough with a come along and strain gage to see how much strength it takes to duplicate the chain deformation.  This will give better information as to what COULD have done it.  I'd be afraid to guess how much force a 'dug-in' cougar could exert.  I read somewhere that they are so powerful they can jump onto the back of a deer and break the neck with a single-pawed slap.  If so, that's some real power.

~ If the Beagle was a victim of predation, I would think that some of his remains would've been eaten. Nothing eludes to that sort of scene...

He says that "his wife came home and went out about 200 feet from the house to feed a young beagle." 

My question is Why do they have a "young beagle" chained 200 feet from their house, all alone?  :mad:

A Beagle is a Pack Hunter...  and removed from a natural "pack" and obviously removed from his Human "Pack" he is NOT going to be very happy.    :nono:

Anybody who has ever been around a Beagle knows that they are VERY Active, HIGH energy dogs, that are quite intelligent, and who have a strong hunting drive. A Strong, excited dog with a high energy level  can exert SEVERAL TIMES its body weight in force to break free from any chan.  And to keep a young energetic dog chained without companionship, excercise, discipline or challenge, or stimulation is nothing short of prison.  :thumbdown:

Shame on your friend!  :nop:

A young Beagle either needs to be with his pack....  or it needs to be a part of a human pack INSIDE the house.  How often did they walk the dog? Or Work the dog?  Dogs need to MOVE..... OUT of the YARD.... they need to MIGRATE Every single day to be happy. ESPECIALLY Hunting dogs!  :ranting:  A hunting dog is a formidable threat to any wild animal, and even mountain lions tend to steer clear of them.

A Beagle is a Tracker! A SCENT HOUND........  I think one could EASILY break a chain, given the right scent (and enough boredom to drive him insane)...    He could probably lunge hard enough, and repeatedly enough to hurt his neck, EVEN hard enough to cause shearing brain injury and hemorrhage.

Once he got free...  his brain was too swollen to continue, so he died. Any movement of the body afterwards... was probably via post mortem predation.

(that's my crime scene investigative report...)  as I see it.  :smoke:

If a wild animal stalked and killed this Beagle for food.... they would've eaten it. Coyotes/Mountain lions/bears don't kill just "because"...  they kill to eat. Every act of predation comes with risk. The risk of being kicked/injuered/etc. And to be injured is NOT to eat...

therefore...  no "Wild" animal takes the act of killing lightly.

Was it a welded chain or twisted? Healthy feral animals have a lot of strength and if the chain gave before the rivets on the colar I'm thinking the chain wasn't all that strong. The tooth pattern would be a good clue but you'd probably have had to skin the dog to see it clearly.

I told Brownie he should skin his beagle but that didnt go over very well.

What ever killed his dog, and the list if short, had him by the neck with the dogs collar in his mouth. The killer had enough power to flat pull the chain into. The chain is a standard dog chain and I dont think I would have enough strength to pull the chain into. There were a few other links that were pulled nearly straight. Its basically the same chain used on steel leg traps.