WildSurvive Forum
tsegura

Cougar Sightings

I cant help but notice how forlorn and lonely he looks in that picture. I read about how they are solitary animals but man these animals are miles and miles apart.

Yes that puzzles me also why the Fish and Game depts in states refuse to admit that Mtn Lions are there. Someone hit a lg one by where my brother lives last year. But the Environmental Conservation dept said it was somebodies pet. They use to be found in all the states as were wolves. They are just making their return.

There may be other reasons, but I would imagine a lot of DNRs and WRAs are also trying to keep a bunch of yahoos and city slickers from running all over the countryside looking for a 'trophy'. 

There may be other reasons, but I would imagine a lot of DNRs and WRAs are also trying to keep a bunch of yahoos and city slickers from running all over the countryside looking for a 'trophy'.   

~ What's a DNR?  A DNR where I work is Do Not Resuscitate....   :P

Our teacher was telling us about one that was hit south of here about 6-7 years ago and it had a tattoo in its lip like it had been found and tagged before.

He also was telling us that someone he knew had a theory that the reason the DNR won't admit cougars are in the area is because the actually released them here on purpose and if they ever hurt someone they would be responsible.

This is a really interesting news story from out of Washington about 8 cougars in one spot

That is what people say in NY also Watcher. They can't admit to it. Govt at it's finest deny anything and everything.

Looks like there are cougars in Wisconsin.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/94170074.html

No doubt about that...the wonderful D.N.R denied it for a long time until one was video taped in a tree in Northwestern Wisconsin.  I really have to wonder how ignorant the D.N.R. thinks people are???  Now they want people counting deer for them.  WHAT A JOKE!!!!

No doubt about that...the wonderful D.N.R denied it for a long time until one was video taped in a tree in Northwestern Wisconsin.  I really have to wonder how ignorant the D.N.R. thinks people are???  Now they want people counting deer for them.  WHAT A JOKE!!!!

sh*t they want deer counted i could count them on my way to work since i have to keep swerving to miss them. sometimes 3 a morning...i swear there out to get me..those sneaky bastards

sh*t they want deer counted i could count them on my way to work since i have to keep swerving to miss them. sometimes 3 a morning...i swear there out to get me..those sneaky bastards

Honestly, they are asking for help in keeping track of deer numbers!

Honestly, they are asking for help in keeping track of deer numbers!

they would be better off handing out free licences every season. at least in iowa right now they are so overpopulated they are causing problems with crops and roadways. same with turkeys. why the hell should it cost a guy around 75 bucks to bag one turkey! its outragiouse. they are destroying more crops than deer and groundhog combined. every night on my way home from a scout meeting i see dozens if not a hundred in the fields near where i live. i understand and respect where the dnr is for but its gotten to the point that they are no different than the rest of the government.

They're saying that the eastern species is extinct, but the western species may well end up taking its place in the eastern half of the U.S. sort of like coyotes have spread.

My father used to tell us about a time when he was walking to school and got stalked by a cougar.  It followed him for a 1/2 mile, he kept it in site and it just stayed at the edge of the woods from the road.  Which is not normal behavior, they are ambush predators and you wouldn't normally know it was there until it was ready to get you, but to have it see you and you see it and it still keeps following for that long, THAT is really weird.    A friend of mine for North East MO (Just a mile over the border from Iowa) got a couple of pics of one about 10 years ago.  Not the best pics, but you could sure tell it was a big cat. 

We nicknamed our kids Shark Bait (the oldest because he swims kind of like a blender), and the middle boy is nicknamed stink bait (I don't know what the hell that kid eats to have farts that smell THAT bad).  And I nicknamed my youngest when he was 4 Cougar Bait, because he was always running ahead of us on the trails LOL  (his mom didn't like it at first, but we all call him cougar bait now).  I REALLY want to have my camera on me some day and get a sighting, THAT would be awesome.

Well Well Well as I predicted a Cougar has been caught on a trail cam in Illinois Morgan county. Morgan lies west between Springfield and the Mississippi River just north of Small Game Hunter. Heres the link to Illinois Prairie States web site and the article.

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/

psocougarindexcobb.jpg.84989482d9e438f1c075e76ebfc017cc.jpg

Sounds like here. There were no mountain lions in Iowa until someone shot one and drug it out of the woods a year or so ago.

Arkansas game and fish claim there are no big cats in this state but since the evolution of the game camera there have been many sightings like this one. This is from this week from a friend on Facebook down where I grew up. It is a bit questionable but still looks like a big cat to us.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351702918.460339.jpg.826c538d49706ae1404537a5f5ed7372.jpg

My wife and I have seen one. One screamed right next to my wifes car when she stopped at a "T" road coming home from second shift nurse job. It scared her so bad she couldnt get the window closed. She was still white when she got home. I saw one cross the highway right in front of me at daylight. My lights were shining right on him.

I figure for every 100 people (or more)in the "wild" maybe 1 will catch a glimpse of something like this. They've been around for a long time and I'm sure it's bc they don't just come out to say hello. Lol

I wonder how many noisy stumbling humans have been watched buy those piercing eyes as they walked by?

My wife's grandfather reported a cougar sighting 50yr's ago, MNR said impossible and since then hundreds of sightings but unless verified by a government employee they do not exist....