WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Defensive Driving

An employee where my wife works was involved in an automobile accident where she was hospitalized for two months to recover. Last night she was involved in another accident and this time perished.

Without affixing blame and not really knowing who was at fault but somebody was. In the light of the moment Ive decided to post one of my pet peeves defensive driving and survival on our highways.

Automobile safety is the avoidance of automobile accidents or the minimization of harmful effects of accidents, in particular as pertaining to human life and health. Numerous safety features have been built into cars for years, some for the safety of car's occupants only, some for the safety of others.

As a result of improvements in highway and automobile design, the incidence of injuries and fatalities per mile driven has decreased significantly, but road traffic injuries still represent about 25% of worldwide injury-related deaths (the leading cause) with an estimated 1.2 million deaths (2004) each year - World Health Organization [1]).

Major factors in accidents include driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs; inattentive driving; crash compatibility between vehicles; driving while fatigued or unconscious; encounters with road hazards such as snow, potholes, and crossing animals; or reckless driving.

Road traffic safety aims to reduce the harm (deaths, injuries, and property damage) resulting from crashes of road vehicles. Harm from road traffic crashes is greater than that from all other transportation modes (air, sea, space, off-terrain, etc.) combined.

Road traffic safety deals exclusively with road traffic crashes – how to reduce their number and their consequences. A road traffic crash is an event involving a road vehicle that results in harm. For reasons of clear data collection, only harm involving a road vehicle is included. A person tripping with fatal consequences on a public road is not included as a road-traffic fatality. To be counted a pedestrian fatality, the victim must be struck by a road vehicle.

The IAM has a local, group-based structure across the UK, with groups for both motorcyclists and car drivers. Groups take in prospective new members, known as "associate members", and offer training and advice on using the system to help the associate member pass the IAM's advanced test and become a full member.

Training is conducted by regular (usually weekly, hour-long) sessions with observers, who are volunteers for the local group that have passed the advanced test and undergone further training to become an observer.

The test lasts for approximately 90 minutes and is conducted by a serving or retired police officer who holds a Police Advanced Driving Certificate, (several examiners hold the UK Home Office Police Driving Instructor Certificate, widely regarded as the highest level of driving excellence obtainable in the UK). It covers about 30–40 miles (50–65 km) and including town/city, rural areas, and motorways and/or dual carriageways (as available), to test the candidate in a wide range of conditions each with different hazards. The test is significantly more difficult that the standard DSA driving test, but is within the reach of most motorists and motorcyclists with the right guidance.

Independent research from Brunel University recently concluded that advanced drivers who had been through the IAM system of car control were nearly 70% better in all aspects of their driving – from steering to judging distances and speed. Several major insurance companies offer discounts to those who have passed an IAM test, in recognition of earlier research by the TRL that concluded drivers are less likely to crash if they have reached a measurable higher driving standard.

My observations of bad drivers have been driving too fast and over the maximum speed limit, distracted drivers like cell phones and now text messaging, concentrating on the end of the destination instead of the trip its self, the belief that the driver has to be at the destination as soon as possible and has little time or patients for the trip itself, and the lack of understanding for the laws of physics pertaining to an object in motion and the speed of travel. 

My job requires everyone to take a in house road safety course which is a class on defensive driving, about 8 hours long ,  and a few computer based classes per year. Also all of our ambulance units are  "bugged" everything is recorded from speed, turns ,g forces , engine data, siren and emergency lights on or off and alot more . Everyone has a magnetic key with all there personal info on it so they know who is driving . The medics get scored on this and below a certain score they are sent home and after so many offenses fired ! Every time you exceed a pre determined speed or g force turn it buzzes and sets in the controller all the info and daily it is sent to our main office and any offenses get sent to a supervisor for review. Needless to say we have few accidents and no speeding tickets !

I probably had the same course called defensive driving put on the the State Police. Emergency vehicles need to get there and not get stopped by an accident on the way.

Two tings that stuck in my mind was the "amber light" . This is a stop light that is green a long time as your driving towards it. Many times people speed up in order to make it. When they get stopped they usually say it turned suddenly. Of course it changes suddenly the dont slowly turn from green to yellow to red or in effect turn amber.

The second is my pet peeve.

Lets say two towns are 10 miles apart. If you average 60 miles per hour or one mile a minute. (60 miles=60 minutes in an hour) it will take you 10 minutes to drive between the towns.

Some dont want to take that long. Their in a hurry.

In order to spend 5 minutes driving between the towns you would have to drive twice as fast or 120 miles per hour. Well thats too fast so lets spend 7.5 minutes.

Well thats 90 miles per hour. Thats to save 2.5 minutes from the trip.So how much time are you saving driving 65 or 70? 

I agree, defensive driving, along with expert level training on E&E driving are important for surviving.  Not only on our freeways, but on city streets and rural/mtn. roads.  When I lived in the Northbay area near San Francisco, I was enrolled in such courses by my employer and I took them at Sears Point raceway.  Never had so much fun in my life, that didn't involve a woman.

Here's an old Brooklyn tip:  When in traffic or at a light, leave enough distance in front of you to be able to evade an attacker by pulling to the right or left and driving away.

In 2006 the U.S. reached a record of one highway death every hour around the clock.

This morning we have quite a bit of ice due to "freezing drizzle" from overnight.  Now, you would think that folks would realize that it's a good time to slow down.  However, since the ice isn't solidly covering the roads some folks feel confident enough to still go 60mph in a 55mph zone.  Sometimes I think to myself, "Now you just go ahead hoss.  If you wipe out on down the road, don't expect me to stop to help your sorry @ss!"  Of course, I would probably stop at least long enough to say "Well, that should just about cover speeding in the snow and ice, huh?  Looks like you really screwed up!"  :devil:

Well, let me help resurrect an old thread.  First, glad you posted this and started it back when you did.  Automobile accidents seems to be a forgotten prep.  I rarely see it discussed, blogged or posted, so I'm glad I came across this.  If surviving is about avoiding death or injury, then why don't people spend most of their time preparing for what is most likely to threaten their life?  Since car accidents is one of the most likely causes, why isn't this near the top of most survivalists' list?  When I read people's summation of their preps I don't see much about, no texting and driving, slowing down 5mph, always looking 3 cars ahead, using turn signals (a lost art) keeping good quality tires on your car, making sure your vehicle is in good working and safe condition, avoiding multi- tasking while driving, no applying makeup or lighting a cigarette while driving, etc.  Seatbelts seem to finally be a given, but nothing else about vehicle safety has become as compulsory as seatbelts.  Anyway, good post, thanks again.

I'll admit, I'm really bad to drive faster than I should, except in rain or snow.  However, I expect other people to do really stupid things, and I have avoided several bad accidents just by being alert. 

(I don't think taken by the wind will ever let me drive her anywhere ever again. :rofl:)