WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Winterizing

We Winterize our vehicles...we Winterize our homes...some of us even Winterize our lawns....so tonight after my trip out for pictures yesterday decided to Winterize my pack that stays in the truck, and was curious if anyone else out there does this

While a lot of this stuff is just standard pack gear, I have added a few extra things and will add more

PICT1141.jpg

Along with my usual stuff I have added a good deal more fatwood, a larger candle (smaller one in the ruck), a full box of trioxane, a new magnesium stick along with the old one (the ferro rod is wearing down now), a poncho liner for a blanket, and some more food (will add more tomorrow), and because there are more hours of darkness in the Winter I also added a petzl lamp.

PICT1142.jpg

PICT1141.jpg

I love these poncho liners, they are very warm, very light, and don't hold moisture..it just passes through (they are a little more fire sensitive than wool however) this picture should give a little perspective t their size

PICT1143.jpg

I've also made sure I have plenty of water for a day or two, a two quart canteen, a one quart canteen, plus a one liter bottle inside the truck

PICT1149.jpg

and my canteen cup stove

PICT1146.jpg

PICT1148.jpg

Though I don't yet have the hatchet I want for this pack, I have put a fresh edge on my e-tool

PICT1133.jpg

I also bought another firesteel, and I'm still sometimes hauling around that heatsheet I am torturing.

PICT1152.jpg

Some people think this is a bit much stuff to keep in a vehicle on a regular basis but for me it is a good idea to have it around this time of year. Some of you know by now one of my hobbies is going out and taking nature photos. This last trip out I was on a dirt road called the "Big Fork" road, which is a pass between two sections of Walden's Ridge.

MytruckatBigFork-2.jpg

TruckatBigFork.jpg

It had rained for two days prior to my going out there and while it was a little slippery in places the main road was for the most part ok but there were some swelled creeks and large pools of water here and there.

PICT1062.jpg

BluffatBigFork.jpg

PICT1127.jpg

Backing back out of a tight side trail (was trying to get closer to the bluff for pics) I got off in a good sized mud hole I had managed to quickly go through hitting the shallow side on the way in. I know this looks like an insignificant amount of mud, and actualy it is because as soon as the tires started spinning I switched into four-wheel-drive and backed on through the mud hole spinning very little. However had I been in a two-wheel-drive truck I would have been stuck there. There is no cellular service in that area and it was more than a dozen miles to the nearest phone no matter which way I went. Had it been one of those days when I was shooting sunsets out there, as that bluff faces Northwest, I may have been stuck anyway, had I gone further to the middle than I did my suspension would have been down into more solid mud..., who knows..., maybe ...maybe not. All went fine this time and I got some pretty good pictures, however I am very aware that things do not always go well and I would like to at least be able to spend the night in relative comfort and deal with things in the daylight.

Do any of you change your gear from season to season? If so what do you add or change?

I'm still in the process of putting my packs together. I'm  a little slow. :disgust:

I must say though, this is a very good post. :thumbsup:

My Zr2 is a cab and a half so the back seat area is usually full of winter clothes for the cold season. I keep the same tool box full of survival gear year round. I carry two gallons of drinking water plus a couple of bottles of water but they sometimes freeze in winter. I cover them up with the winter clothes but sometimes they freeze any way. I also carry my marlin .22 papoose survival rifle my Henry lever action .22 mag with scope and my 7600 pump 243 with leopold scope year round. Two boxes of 243 rounds a brick of .22 for the survival rifle and a canister of I would guess 500 rounds of .22 mag. One fleece blanket.Gloves, ski mask.

I buy cheese and cracker by the box at dollar general and some beef jerky and sticks to keep in my truck also.I have two tool boxes in the bed of my truck full of tools,axe,buck saw, machete (2)  wire rope jumper cables etc. Xtra engine oil a 5 gallon can of gas and a 5 gallon can of diesel fuel (for my tractor) extra gallon of antifreeze.

Damn Swede...,I could throw a case of assorted vegetable seeds, a pressure cooker, some mason jars and lids, and my pack into the back of your truck and drive into the woods never to return.

Guest blacksmith

yeah that sounds like fun back in the woods I mist that we put a gun in the car some sleeping bags a hand saw fire starter some tarps some food and we have a pack that goes every time we go with some snares led lights axe but not much as Swede

My gear changes easonally. Right now I am, in fact, preparing for winter. I'm charring new charcloth. I'm getting out all my winter clothing. I'm getting ready for our council's part of the biggest winter campout in the country (Klondike). I have a small winter kitbag that is full of little scraps of birchbark and pieces of flint, but also has a knife, compass, matches, all that, I will be re organizing/packing that bag soon. I'm re-waterproofing my boots for this season. A lot of my things change by season.

I have been adding small peices of gear to my kits for winter.  But I am mostly relying on me already having on my cold gear.  (Carheart, sweatshirt, undershirt, wicking layer) and (Snowpants, jeans, long underwear) plus gloves and a stocking hat.

I need to get a new bag for my day kit, the one I have now is an extremely cheap childs school backpack,  trying to figure out what pack to get now.

That's why I tend to go modular...., so it is more flexible. I'll be storing some sweaters and thermals in that other pack soon.

I only have one season: Tropical.  Now that we will start to see some cold fronts coming through, I will add a warm jacket, hat, and gloves to the trunk.

well I winterize for this area. But now with me moving I have to readjust my kit as a whole. And will be wearing most of my outer clothing when outside for sure. Wind chill where I am headed today was -20 deg, temp -4.  :sad:  And my vehicle will not be traveling with me till next summer.

Guest blacksmith

happy097.gif happy097.gif yeah he will not get far with a teen poodles

I use poodles for muskie bait. Or up there for the bears.  happy097.gif

My jeep will be staying here till next year.

Guest blacksmith

there was one musher that had poodles he did not make it  I think the cops had a talk with him  :scared:

No dog team this year. But I will be volunteering for the Kusko 300  :woot:

And I have to winterize my jeep first. It needs a engine block heater, oil pan heater put in before I can take it up there.

Guest blacksmith

Kusko 300  you will have a lot of fun

What do you guys and gals who live in the north do with the water you keep in your vehicle's, to keep it from freezing ? do you take it in every day and reload everyday ?

Guest blacksmith

yeah that is the only way sometimes

As usual, a good thread MW.  I've started to put together the winter kits for our vehicles.  Need to add a few items to the PU and the wifes vehicle and I'm finished. 

Well...with the cold months upon me I decided to add few more things to my kit...mainly my shoulder bag but they are easily transferable. Since there are more hours of dark than daylight I added some light sticks, I added a pack of mixed nuts to serve the dual purpose of food and improvised firestarter  :grin: , and for extra energy a high calorie energy bar and some osmotic cranberries that were in the MRE I ripped open to get the heater I used to thaw my frozen water line.

PICT0879.jpg

I got bored at the laundry the other night and decided to try something....I wanted to see if Brazil nut shavings would light from the spark of a firesteel. I couldn't believe it...I bought the only package of mixed nuts I've ever seen in my life that had no Brazil nuts in it, any other time I would have been delighted that there was an over abundance of Pecans and no Brazils but this time I was pretty peaved. I did learn that while Cashews will light with the flame of a lighter and will reluctantly burn if you hold them right...Cashew shaving probably won't light with a firesteel as I wore away a good bit of a scout model trying. Lesson learned...now there are three packs of mixed nuts in the bag  :hugegrin:

By the way...anyone here have any idea what exactly "osmotic" cranberries means  :unsure:

Looks good Mist, how much does a box of that Trioxane stuff cost and where do you get it?  I'm going to have to look at the army surplus store for some, I would like some for my kits.  I'm also thinking about adding a small alchohol stove to my kits too.

"osmotic" is just a fancy way of saying that the cranberries are dehydrated.

Ah, ok thankyou....reckon that just took three less letters to say it lol.