WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RovingArcher

Got a new pack for my walks - PICS

And so far, it's a real dandy.  I got it at our local REI and it's called their Flash UL (ultralite) pack.  It's hydration compatible, so I removed the bladder from a small camelbak that I won on another site and put it in the Flash pack.  Then I added a bit of gear.

Here's the pack.

P1040446.jpg

With hydration bladder (70oz.)

P1040448.jpg

Burlap sack approx. 1' sq., 1 gallon ziploc freezer bag, TP in quart sized bag.

P1040449.jpg

A single heatsheet, double heatsheet, USGI Poncho, paracordage.

P1040450.jpg

A lightstik, Mora 760 knife, SS cup, 4x E'mergen-C, tissue, dressing.

P1040451.jpg

Pair of cotton gloves & wool hiking socks.

P1040453.jpg

Maxpedition M2 pouch, couple coffee singles, esbit stove, esbit fuel, Katadyn MP-1 purification tabs

P1040454.jpg

Still have some items, like fatwood, that I want to include, but will finish it out when I have more time.

Specification Description

Frame type ....... Frameless 

Approximate volume ....... 1,037 cubic inches

Approximate volume ....... metric 17 liters

Average weight ....... 9 ounces

Average weight ....... metric 0.26 kilograms

Adjustable torso ....... No 

Material ....... Nylon ripstop 

Number of pockets ....... 1 main compartment, 1 hydration pocket, 2 mesh pockets. 

Access / Loading Top 

that is a nice set up. :thumbsup:

Are the wool socks good for hiking? I thought about getting some myself for hunting, I never did think about hiking though. :)

that is a nice set up. :thumbsup:

Are the wool socks good for hiking? I thought about getting some myself for hunting, I never did think about hiking though. :)

Yeah, wool is great for hiking.  Usually if it's going to be a longer hike (several miles), I also wear a pair of smartwool sock liners.  Wearting liners puts the friction between the socks, instead of between boot and foot, so fewer blisters or hotspots.  Wool is great because they are usually a thicker sock, it helps to insulate the foot, keeping it warmer in winter and cooler in summer.  Wool also wicks sweat away from the foot, helping to keep them dry, which also aids in overall foot health.  You will like merino wool on your feet!

Very nice, RA!  I love the women's backpack I got from REI.  It fits me perfectly.  You've chosen well.  :yes: 

Nice pack,

Mr. Roving Archer you're kinda famous in my neck of the bush, my cousin talked about you all the time.

I'll try to read more of your post.

When I take it out and actually use it for hikes and day trips, I'll take the camera and try to put something together that makes sense.:D  I carried it with full bladder and the gear you see here and it was comfortable for the few miles that I walked.  I'd like to set up a temporary camp, heat up some water and have a hot cup of coffee, along with a snack.  Do some brush busting and collect some interesting looking materials for tinder, etc.  I've read reviews on the bag at REI that said it makes a dandy stuff sack.  Turn it inside out, so straps are inside and you've got a stuff sack and I'll test that portion of it when I hit the trail with my backpack.  If I break it, I'll post that too, with photos.  Then I'll take it back and depending on how long I actually used it before killing it, I might get another one.

Nice pack! Let us know how it holds up for sure.  I have been trying to figure out what i need/want for a day pack and this looks really nice, and has a great price.  Thanks for posting

RA, the best thing about REI is that you can take it back FOR ANY REASON if you aren't satisfied.  REI is committed to making sure that people are happy with their gear and they will take it back with no problem if you decide you don't like it or if it doesn't fulfill your expectations.

Thanks Holly, but I've already taken advantage of their very liberal return policy.  I returned a pair of Vasque boots that I couldn't get to break in.  They didn't hesitate to take them back.  I ordered the Danners online, along with a pair of mocs for less money and they are excellent boots.  The mocs are nice and cozy.

Thats a good looking pack. I used to get REI catalogs all the time, but never ordered anything so I guess they stopped sending them.  Looks like a may need to get back on the list though.

It appears to be  about the perfect size for a day trip or even a one nighter.

OK.......... the pack went back to REI.  Took it out for a short hike this morning and the chest strap broke.  It was probably a random thing, but when the brush snagged the bag while busting a little brush, it gave way and I figured I'd better get a tougher pack, because I can get rough with my gear.

I'm looking for a new, cheap (price) daypack, any advice?

You could always go to Wal-Mart....they always have some cheap stuff  :P

You hit the nail on the head, you will get what you pay for.  Cheap to me means military surplus gear.  A lot of it can be had in unissued condition and some of it is very cheap to buy.  Browse Cheaper than dirt and Sportsmans guide and see what they have to offer.  Or, if you are looking for a school type of sack with a couple pockets, like a Jansport that I have here (if I can find it).  It hauls a fair amount of gear and they don't carry too bad, if you keep the weight down.

Myself, I would check out REI.com and see what type of daypacks they sell and what features they have.  I know for a fact that they have a pack that sells for under $50.00 that is hydration compatible, has lots of pockets and will haul a good amount of gear.  Not overly big, or heavy and comes in a few colors.

RA you should also think about carrying an extra wool watch cap in your pack, You lose most of your body heat from your head and neck. I just bought three of them new at a discount store for less than five dollars. I carry one in each of my packs and and in the pocket of my goretex jacket along with a pair of Polypropylene glove liners

RA you should also think about carrying an extra wool watch cap in your pack, You lose most of your body heat from your head and neck. I just bought three of them new at a discount store for less than five dollars. I carry one in each of my packs and and in the pocket of my goretex jacket along with a pair of Polypropylene glove liners

SARdoc, Thanks for your response and I couldn't agree with your statement more.  I also keep a watch cap in each of my bags, but I had used one out of the bag that I retrieved this gear from and forgot where I put it.  Found it a couple days ago behind the seat of my PU, so if and when I replace the pack, it'll have a watch cap included.