WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Watcherofthewoods

Winter Projects

I just brought up a pine board from the basement to try my first spoon carving. I bought a set of wood carving tools. Im trying to decide on which knife to use out of my collection.

Ive got some hickory nuts to crack and some pears to put up. I think Ill pick up some walnuts today to start drying.  Im still debating on firing up the wood burner in the basement. Its a big furnace add on. Theres no comparison to wood heat over propane for warmth however its a pain going up and down the steps to put wood in the burner. Plus you always manage to get smoke dust all over the house and the Mrs dont like that.

OK so I started on my first spoon. The whittling kit I bought is going back its totally useless.  :curse: Im using pine not sure what kind. I dont think its yellow pine.  :unsure:

I drew around a spoon.

spoon001ii7.jpg

I took a big short cut by using my dewalt jig saw to cut it out. (is that legal?)  :huh:

spoon005ul4.jpg

I decided to use my Mora Carbon Steel for whittling. Its razor sharpness is holding up very well so far and the thin blade works excellent.

spoon007zc1.jpg

My thumb is getten sore so Ill work on it later.  :thumbup:

When we made wooden bowls in wood shop...., a couple of centuries ago...., we sealed them by rubbing in vegetable oil several times. Gave them a hand rubbed..., sort of satin finish, there may be other options now.

Guest blacksmith

wow that is grate well have to get some pics of the one I justed did

Guest blacksmith

hope this works here is the pic of a scoop I made out of cotton wood bark

picture1083dl4.jpg

picture1084qj4.jpg

What do you put on the wood? I dont think Id want polyurethane. Linseed oil?

A 50/50 mixture of beeswax(melted) and mineral oil.

That spoon looks great Swede. And, Blacksmith, that's a useful  lookin' scoop you carved there.

Winter projects eh?

A long list have I...

~First and foremost.... finish a certain knife.  :blush:

~I also have several blades that I'd love to work on as well.

~I have three paddle orders to fill and I'd love to carve two new ones for my wife and myself, as well as a teenie one for the teenie one.

~I need to have Rockhounder fly out here so he can do a bunch of home reno projects for me while I watch, relax, and sip on a cold one.

~I just bought a new, custom-made canoe trailor and I need to uber-customize it a bit.

~Work on improving my beer belly.

~Sell a couple of really fine road bikes (any takers here?).

~Make a shadow box display case for a pair of Alaskan elk rawhide masks we were given last Christmas.

~Spend time with my wife and daughter.

~Sleep.

~Sleep some more.

~Learn how to pound hot steel.

I'm sure there's more to this list but I'm thirsty and tired so I'm gonna' work on two of my winter projects. I'll add more when my wife informs me of them.

Nice job on that scoop Blacksmith.

Just talking about Blues projects exhausted him so he took a Holly nap.  :D

I picked up a few dozen walnuts today and just washed them. Now Ill set them in the oven (with just the pilot light) and start the drying process.

Sonny brought me down a small bucket of hickory nuts to go along with the ones I already have. I wont be cracking them till later this winter to let them dry.

Guest blacksmith

thanks I like that it looks good Swede so what is next

Swede nice looking spoon. :thumbup:

Blacksmith nice looking scoop.  :thumbup:

I am going to have to think of some winter projects for sure. :hmm: