WildSurvive Forum
SARdoc

Tolnaftate (tenacten) used for insect and spider bites including brown recluse

Anyone on here been bitten by a brown recluse spider, what type of treatment was done.

I have been bit three times that I know of, first time I was using a weed eater around my Father-in-law house and moved some old wood finding myself surrounded by about a hundred baby brown recluse spiders and apparently one of them managed to get up my pant leg and bit me. The bite started like a small mosquito bite and over about four or five days grew to a large open sore about two inches in diameter.

I tried everything I could think of to put on the bite and nothing worked. Finally I decided to treat it like a fungus because that is what it looked like to me. The only thing I had at that time was some Absorbine Jr.so I put some of that on the wound and covered it with some burn cream and a bandage for three days thinking that would help cut off the oxygen to the wound. When I did this all I was hoping for was that it would stop the wound from getting any bigger.  Upon taking the bandage off I noticed that the wound had scabbed over and the infection was gone, over the next few days it healed completely with no scarring, I still have a hard time finding the bite area.

The other two bite were on the back of my left hand and on my right arm, both of these times I actually saw the spiders bite me. The bite on my hand got to the size of a dime before I was able to treat it, in this case i used some liquid Tolnaftate solution I got from the Army for athletes foot and it started healing immediately. The next time I got bit on the arm the wound got the size of a pencil eraser and I used some Tenacten 1% Tolnaftate cream and it also started healling immediately.

I have used this on other bites including some that looked like spider bites (not sure because I did not see what bit me) with very good results. It also works great on Athletes Foot.

Any comments or additional info would be appreciated. any one used Tolnaftate for anything other than Athletes foot.

~ You sure have had a lot of Brown Recluse bites SARdoc!  8|

Your post was interesting to me, so I decided to research antifungal creams for treatment of Brown Recluse bites.

Interestingly, they ARE used (Along with wide spectrum antibiotic therapy). The severity of the bite depends on how much venem is injected during the bite.

The brown recluse spider bite does what any spider bite does, just on a grander scale. It slowly kills living tissue, and turns it to jelly.  :scared: scared011.gif  This helps the spider slurp down it's meal without chewing.

The problem is, when the bite starts breaking down your skin (Literally killing it) other dangerous organisms can enter as well. There are tons of bacteria on your skin, as well as fungus. Fungus lives on all of us all the time. When you get an open wound, the bacteria usually out-compete the fungus. With a Brown Recluse bite, the wound is not like a normal wound. Normal bacteria don't do as well there, but fungus does. Your body's response, is to just let whatever area that is going to die, go ahead and die, and then it will slowly heal the wound from the inside out.

You probably did have a secondary fungal infection inside that bite SARdoc. Any antifungal creme would probably be very beneficial to apply (as well as antibacterial creme) I'd hit it with everything I had! Anybody with a Brown Recluse bite should seek medical help. Especially if you are not sure a spider bit you. MRSA infection on skin also presents just like a Brown Recluse bite.

So lesson learned....   Anti Fungal Cremes (Tinactin, Monostat, Lotramin, Tolfinate, etc.) can be VERY beneficial to put on a Brown Recluse Bite, and any spider bite when you are dressing the wound.

Reason why?  Fungus LOVES dead tissue...   Fungus LOVES warm oozing wet places to grow. (Like between toes.) AND in Spider Bites  :whistle:

Great call Sardoc!   :thumbup: 

However, this doesn't mean that Tinactin is a good Cure-all for EVERYTHING.  :nono: Tinactin kills fungus (and that's all.)

(Ring worm) is a fungus too. That's why it helped Weyfarere. I would not start using an antifungal on every cut I had instead of a Triple Antibiotic ointment. But if the wound is rotten, and oozing and nasty...  you just might have a secondary fungal infection. 

Your body was working like hell (from the inside out) to keep that infection from getting any deeper, and by attacking that fungus from the flank, you saved your immune system from having to deal with it, and you totally kicked that spider bite's butt!   :box:

Now THAT's some awsome First Aid in the field.  :thumbsup:

I have been bitten a few times by spiders that I can only assume were brown recluses...the site presented at first as a VERY itchy bump  two or three of which I could see two tiny dots on top, they turned bright red around them and then the center started deteriorating but never stopped itching. They took longer than any other kind of wound to heal. I fought it using H2O2, tripple antibiotic ointment, using the tip of my knife and a small stiff bristtle brush to scrape out the rotten flesh, eating lots of vitamin C, and eating Goldenseal with ecinasea.  I have some really nice scars left from them.

ABOUT DRESSING A WOUND

~ I hope you cleaned that knife before you "scraped out the rotten flesh."  8|

LOL!  I wouldn't use a stiff brush on any wound UNLESS it's a scrub brush (like surgeons use) that comes in a pouch with killer antibacterial soap. Then it would be sterile.

Anything you stick in a wound, can further contaminate it. Including, and especially your fingers. When you dress a wound, you got to think Clean. The first thing you want to do is wash your hands with antibacterial soap for at least one minute before you care for the wound. You want to clean ANY wound before you but a sterile guaze dressing on it. Plain soap and water is good. Anything you touch (your pants, your face, the counter) recontaminates your hands, so pay attention. Also when you open guaze... remember it is sterile. Do NOT touch the part that is going to be against the wound. Peel the guaze open without touching it, and let it stay inside the wrapper. Don't touch it. Same with a Bandaide... they are rigged to put on without you ever touching the guaze part. Still I see people put their fingers all over it before they put it on their wound.  :nono:

If you want to put ointment on your wound, then wash your fingers again... really really well. THEN squeeze out a tiny bit of ointment, onto a paper towel, and use the fresh ointment that hasn't been exposed to the air. Put a dab on your finger and apply it to the wound. Don't rub it in. NEVER pick at a scab either. A scab is a natural bandage.  :thumbup:

~ TO BE FAIR TO MISTY THOUGH....    :P

What he was doing (by scraping out the rotten flesh with his knife) is a medically sound thing to do. It's called Wound Debridment. When you have a rotten wound the doctors will often surgically remove the dead tissue to speed healing. It's hard for living flesh to heal when it's surrounded by rotten flesh. The trick is, to get the dead stuff out without hurting the new healing skin.

For fun only... (Let's say you can't go to a doctor)  you could clean out your spider bite in that way. I would suggest opening up a sterile guaze and leave it in its wrapper to create a sterile field. Hold your knife in a flame for a little while to kill any pathogens that are on it. (I'd use an exacto craft knife because it's sharp and small like a scalpel) Then hold it in the air for a bit to cool, and then lay it down on your sterile field. That way, if you have to scoop out a wound, you'll be doing it without introducing any more bacteria. If you lay your kife on anything else... it is recontaminated. Use a large piece of sterile guaze OR just use the inside of the wrapper of guaze (as it is sterile too) Once you clean out the gunk, flush it with some normal saline (See recipe below). If the wound is deep, you'd need to pack it with steril guaze THEN bandage it.

Another way to debride a wound, is to create a saline mixture. Boil about a cup of water with a half teaspoon of table salt. That is your sterile saline solution. Let it cool. Dip a sterile guaze into that solution and apply it to your open wound. tape it so that it stays put, then let it dry over night.  The next day when you pull off that guaze, all the dead tissue will have adhered to it. IT's gonna hurt! But you can pull it off, and most of the dead stuff comes off with it. (AND sometimes it can pull off some new skin that's trying to grow) If you don't have a really deep wound, it can be an effective way to debride a small nasty wound. I'd only do it once because it is not very selective in what it yanks away! It will hurt your healthy skin too. But in the absense of any better way, I'd try it.

and ONLY if I was desperate and couldn't get to a doctor!  LOL!  I am not implying that anyone should treat a spider bite on their own, but seeing that so many of you do, I am only offering up a cleaner way.  :whistle:

That is some very good information taken, have you ever seen a book called Ditch Medicine, It has some of that same information and is a good reference for anyone needing to treat themselves or others in an emergency situation when there is no doctors around.

I just find a dead animal on the highway and scoop up some maggots and put on the wound.  :whistle:  I lied about that part.  :P