WildSurvive Forum
bestseller92

Do you go armed when you're in the wilderness?

i am a duel citizen being born in canada and adopted by aliens er i mean americans when i was young and moved to the states i spent 23 years living in places like akron ohio wooster ohio georgia texas and arizona, ive lived in big towns(pheonix) and little towns camp verde az and madisonburg oh i've seen the crime and the bullets flying i moved back to canada 7 years ago mainly out of a survival idea of where i thought i could best live off the land and be secluded i have not picked up a weapon since my days in the army, having to take a life even in self defense is not something i would wish on any one, that being said if someone comes after my family, but i have other means of defending myself at my disposal and would chiosse to use those methods.

i do like how evryone here gets along shares there opionions without demeaning anyone elses very impressive people oh swede by the way friendly manitoba is the murder capitol of canada.

Gents, I've never seen a bear in the wild. I know indigenous to this area we have black bears. Folks tell of BIG cat tracks here abouts. Mt.Lion returning to it's natural range? I don't know, though I hope so. In fact recently was the first time I saw a timber rattler. I don't consider myself as an expert in anything, but I have spent a considerable amount of time in the Adirondacks and there abouts. Encounters with dangerous animals are infrequent (around here), and those that end in violence are fewer still, but they do occur, and demonstrably with tragic results for those found unprepared, and sometimes even for those that are well prepared.

I think I've made it pretty clear that I have no desire to kill an animal. I choose to carry a weapon on the outside chance that an encounter might turn out to be one of those very rare occurrences ( and to supplement dwindling food supplies if necessary). The examples I posted about being pulled out of your tent or being trailed or being chased up a tree were anecdotal, but from reliable sources. The Animal Planet and Discovery etc. have shows that demonstrate how the host acts around potentially dangerous species, but even they say that wild animals, and probably all animals are unpredictable, and following recommended procedures doesn't guarantee a positive outcome.The media sensationalizes crime, but not the hundreds of times a day armed citizens thwart a crime without firing a shot, it also reports the unfortunate encounters with dangerous species, but the harmless encounters don't sell papers. I think I can safely say that bad things have happened when people and animals meet, most frequently for the animal, but frequently enough for the people.

I carry a first aid kit, a blow out kit. a survival kit and a weapon, when I'm "out there". I hope I never have to use any of them, but I'd rather have and not need then need and not have, because sometimes not having can mean your death, or worse to me, the death of another who was entrusted to my care. Regards, Jim

I'm not sure that the US and Canada is that different, I do think that the way crime is reported down here is different.  We frankly watch too much news, listening to what horrors they can drag up on the other side of the country.  While I don't advocate a stick your head in the sand philosophy I have to keep reminding myself of how many people I personally know who have been involved in a serious crime of violence.  Even less of those involved firearms, on either side.  Granted, I live in a rural area, and stay away from the bars and nightlife of the big cities.  Maybe 2 or 3 in 50 years, personally.  If I watch TV, I can see 5 a night.  I often wonder if the Canadian news is less unrestrained, and when you look at the dichotomy, you think it's lawless city down here.

LOL!  It's funny that you should say that. The opposite idea is prevalent here. From my perspective, your news is censored to the extreme, though I fear, in a completely different way.  It becomes clear when you subscribe to yahoo.com and yahoo.ca news, and read the same story. One made for a Canadian audience, and the other for Americans.  It's surprising what gets omitted from .com that you see on .ca. It's rather enlightening and I recommend reading a few different versions, including UK and Australia. Canada is predominantly Liberal, in ideology and in Government so odly enough, so is our media.  Sadly, it means that things that probably should be censored aren't. 

I suppose there is alot of exposure we don't get.  The last time I was in Boston, I watched this channel that was completely devoted to car chases.  I'd never seen that before, so I suppose our news omits that kind of info, tho I don't think that qualifies as news.

LOL!  It's funny that you should say that. The opposite idea is prevalent here. From my perspective, your news is censored to the extreme,

You have no idea just how censored it is untill you check it against the rest of the world.

I think we all see media bias in one form or another, and it's a shame that these are the people that help shape our perception of the world around us.  Isn't is scary to think about the power that the media has to shape a nation's thinking?  8|

I think we all see media bias in one form or another, and it's a shame that these are the people that help shape our perception of the world around us.  Isn't is scary to think about the power that the media has to shape a nation's thinking?  8|

It is!  News almost never shows the good storys, they just go hey look this guy died!

Are you trying to tell me that there is more going on than the state of Britney Spears mental health?!? :o

Are you trying to tell me that there is more going on than the state of Britney Spears mental health?!? :o

There might be but I like the pictures  :whistle:

Offtopic.jpg

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion. LOL!!   :thumbup:

I take full responsibility for all of it....If this post was a canoe, I'd be taking us all right over the waterfall... 8|

the problem with predators is that they seldom look like wolves and more like sheep, i am 6'4" 220lbs very mean looking full of tatoos when i am out i always see fathers grab their teen daughters hand as i walk by while the wife is eyeing me in that bad boy way

happy097.gif

the problem with predators is that they seldom look like wolves and more like sheep, i am 6'4" 220lbs very mean looking full of tatoos when i am out i always see fathers grab their teen daughters hand as i walk by while the wife is eyeing me in that bad boy way

happy097.gif

Really? I had no idea you were the badboy type.... Well, you seem to be slouching a bit in your avatar pic, buddy.

Oh yah I should have said it was a quote from Wareagle. I can see how you could confuse the discription though except Im not 6 ft 4 and I weight slightly more than 220 and I dont have any tatoos other than that we're twins.

Oh yah I should have said it was a quote from Wareagle. I can see how you could confuse the discription though except Im not 6 ft 4 and I weight slightly more than 220 and I dont have any tatoos other than that we're twins.

LOL!

Guest blacksmith

we do because some of the bear we have are bad and people die  but if there is no bad bear I would not

Guest blacksmith

you have some big cats there right?

I answered that I am always armed when I go into the wilderness.  The poll doesn't really specify what the arm is and even though I occassionally carry a firearm, I also carry a bow & quiver of arrows at times.  I always have a knife with me and sometimes a Khukuri or an axe.  Mostly though, I never head anywhere without being armed with the knowledge of the area that I will be traveling through, which allows me to arm myself with the tools required for a peaceful, comfortable stay.

Guest blacksmith

but is your bear 2000# and not in a good mood  and you know people up here go out without guns here to

In wilderness I always have a machete.  Too hard to carry a firearm if you are in a state other than your own, where you can have the proper permits.  Tess and I only do backpacking in deep winter for the most part, so we avoid the bears.  If we go in the summertime, we usually van camp.  I think we will look into getting the bear repellent, but other than that, we don't worry.  If a criminal with a weapon and some wilderness skills is roaming the backcountry, unless you get very lucky, that guy can do what he wants.  Your average hiker, backpacker, survivalist is never going to see the silent backwoodsman.  He just is very very rare.  I'm currently looking up accident statistics vs. firearm related or criminal statistics.

From:  http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr56/nvsr56_05.pdf

Since I want to tease out how many people are killed by accidents as opposed to specific homicide types this is as close as I could find.  I also didn't find specific data on camping accidents/homicides.  I suspect there may be NO good numbers for that specific of a study.

Cause of death for females of all ages (unintentional accidents)  26.8 per 100,000

"                                "                      (homicide all forms)          Less than 12.3 per 100,000

"                                "                      (homicide firearms)          Less than 12.3 per 100,000

(may be of interest that suicide in this category is Less than 12.3 per 100,000)

Cause of death for males of all ages    (unintentional accidents)  49.8 per 100,000

"                                "            (homicide all forms)          Less than 13.1 per 100,000

"                                "            (homicide firearms)          Less than 13.1 per 100,000

(may be of interest that suicide in this category is 17.7 per 100,000)

Cause of death for both sexes of all ages    (unintentional accidents)  38.1 per 100,000

"                                "                      (homicide all forms)          Less than 11.4 per 100,000

"                                "                      (homicide firearms)          Less than 11.4 per 100,000

Discussion by Nurk:  What this means to me is that your chances overall of being killed in an accident vs murdered is 3 to 1 if you take the worst possible case.  I suspect that homicide is much lower than the "Less than" figure I quoted.  Extrapolating to the woods, if 4 people are in a fatal incident in the woods, 3 will be accidents and 1 will be a murder, again taking the worst possible case.  Try and keep a mental tally of the incidents you hear on the news...count wilderness or camping accidents vs the homicides you hear.  It will be much less than the 3 to 1 figure I am using as worst possible case.  I am not arguing against taking a firearm, I only want to relieve fears that murder is a large component of concern for the wilderness.  Much more important to try to avoid accidents in the woods

I think that you will find that deaths related to automobiles is much higher than either accident or deliberate death from firearms and that most firearm related incidents are perpetrated by criminals and when you take into consideration that there are an estimated 40,000,000 legal firearms owners in the USA that are not criminals, that's saying something about responsible ownership.