WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

The Versatile Brazil Nut; a natural improvised candle, and firecrafting material

Well...if you are sitting around this holiday season and the power goes off...and you have no candles or flashlights, if you have some mixed nuts...or Brazil nuts at least around you can have some light. They burn like a candle, relatively slowly...though your spouse may not enjoy the smell lol. They don't take a lot to start burning, they are re-lightable, they burn for several minutes, and could also be handy igniting damp wood.

PICT0828.jpg

PICT0833.jpg

PICT0834.jpg

PICT0835.jpg

Due to weather work was delayed today...so...I took the opportunity to go out back and experiment a bit. Using only one match, a Brazil nut, and some damp wood I started a small fire...it was small but enough to let me know how much Brazil nuts could come in handy out on the trail.

The conditions are very damp after three day of precip. with yesterday's being a wintery mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain.

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

I picked my smallest tinder from some dead vines hanging above the ground

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

and the rest from dead branches tangled in vines and other limbs

PICT0010.jpg

I prepare my tinder and kindling as always, smallest to largest and ready to go

PICT0014.jpg

then using only one match and a Brazil nut

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

I light the fire, you can see all the steam.

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

You can see the nut burning well and drying out the damp wood above it in this one

PICT0027.jpg

I didn't do enough prep to actually get a good fire going as I didn't have that much time to kill and didn't want to have to put out a big fire, but it was plenty to let me know how well it would work in the future.

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

Guest smallgamehunter

guess thats what u would call a dark roasted nut

That's cool ! Can you eat them after ?

I'd say so after using them as a candle for a few..., I haven't tried that yet, but I'd cut off the black part. After starting the fire there was nothing left of it.

guess thats what u would call a dark roasted nut

Yep, lol, gets pretty dark.

And I thought Brazil nuts was just for eating......I LOVE Brazil nuts to eat...... :thumbup: Isnt there another nut to use like Acorns or something? :scared:.............There is another name for Brazil Nuts.....and when I was young..........many many years ago, that was the only name I knew them by. And It wasnt Brazil Nuts......

And I thought Brazil nuts was just for eating......I LOVE Brazil nuts to eat...... :thumbup: Isnt there another nut to use like Acorns or something?

I love them too..., and all other tree nuts. I'm not sure yet, the experiments have just begun

There is another name for Brazil Nuts.....and when I was young..........many many years ago, that was the only name I knew them by. And It wasnt Brazil Nuts......

I remember that name too...wasn't very appetizing was it lol?

And I thought Brazil nuts was just for eating......I LOVE Brazil nuts to eat...... :thumbup: Isnt there another nut to use like Acorns or something? :scared:.............There is another name for Brazil Nuts.....and when I was young..........many many years ago, that was the only name I knew them by. And It wasnt Brazil Nuts......

I know the name you're talking about, same with black licorice candies. I was a different time back then, Doro. My father drilled those into my head. :nop:

My in-laws still use that name, but I'm trying to break them of the habit.  I told them I wouldn't tolerate that word around me, they're finally starting to get the idea that I'm serious... :glare:

I know the name you're talking about, same with black licorice candies. I was a different time back then, Doro. My father drilled those into my head. :nop:

I know that one ::) hear um' reffered to as that now and then.

I know that one ::) hear um' reffered to as that now and then.

I don't understand how that name stuck so long on someth

Last year we had a thread with burnable foods, I'll have to try to find it again!

Edit- Found it! http://www.wildsurvive.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=72&topic=1771.0

Yeah, like Bob said, thanks..., I had forgotten about that thread.

wow that's great. thanks for the link sk.

wow that's great. thanks for the link sk.

Jeeeez, I suffer through having to go out into the damp woods..., struggle with starting a fire with a new means and put all this work into this thing  :whistle: , and SK sits there on his duff typing out a link and gets a bunch of praise for it.....it's unfair I tell ya  :P

When your as talented as I am.... Oh I can't even keep going with that lol, just joshing ya buddy.  Wish I had been out in those damp woods too instead of in this dark basement :P

Lol, what's stopping you....snowed in?