WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
antagonizer

Crossbow paintjob

I ended up picking up a pile of junk at auction, and found a crossbow in the mix.  After I cleaned off most of the rust I found it was in pretty decent shape. I brought it into the local hunting store and had the pull tested at between 150-175 lbs.  So, I decided to do a bit of airbrushing, giving it a nice cammo job, threw on a leather shoulder strap and homemade flemish string. I didn't have any bolts for it, so I cut down a few aluminum arrows, and installed V'd nocks, just to practice with.

Just thought I'd show it off here. I call the cammo style 'Forest Maple'

DSCF9318.jpg

DSCF9322.jpg

DSCF9323.jpg

Here's my father taking a few shots with it.

DSCF9325.jpg

DSCF9324.jpg

Nice paint job.  If you didn't replace the string, it's a good idea, considering the previous condition of the linear bow.  Also, I'm sure you already know, but you probably need to wax that string with bowstring wax.  It adds strength to the string and keeps it from fraying, which leads to breakage and if you havn't had a bowstring blow up in your face when shooting, you havn't lived yet.  8|

I actually made the bowstring Roving. I used dacron 50 and braided in 27 strands.  it's actually good to 250lbs.  I've made a few flemish strings for my longbow, but this is the first i've done for a crossbow.  Actually turned out pretty good, considering.  Hardest part was winding the serving. For some reason, it kept slipping when I twist tightened the string.

Good deal on the flemish strings.  All I use on my bows are the flemish strings.  Get them from Champion strings in Mississippi.  Chad does an excellent string, fairly reasonable too.

Good looking Camo paint job. Kentucky just recently opened a crossbow season for deer. I have always bow hunted, but if I was to come across a deal like you got there I would give it a try. :thumbup:

You might want to put some wax on the top where the string slides also. I dont care who you are you will flinch badly the first few times you shoot a cross bow.  :D  Let some one shoot it and dont tell them they have to take the safety off and watch them flinch when they pull the trigger.  :hugegrin:

Watch your shaft weight on your bolts. They need to be heavier than standard arrows. I have a scope on mine and when shooting from a rest you have to be careful to not shoot the nochs off your arrows because of the accuracy. Ive killed one doe with mine and the bolt went clear through and stuck in the ground on the other side. That was the last deer I killed and I havent used it since.

A doe came up to my tree from the opposite side one time and I turned around in the stand to shoot forgetting the limb would spring out and hit the tree. I pulled the trigger and BAM the bow hit me up side my head and I saw stars Ill tell you what.  :blink:

Gun legislation is pretty brutal up north, but thankfully, bows are open territory.  This thing shoots like a 12 guage.

Nice crossbow, I'm thinking I should try to get one.

Very cool bro, I'd check legality before hunting though, illegal in most places without a doctors excuse.  My uncle hunts with one due to a bad sholder.

They just made them legal for anyone to hunt deer with here, also legalised .22 caliber centerfire cartridges too.....so few people actualy hunt here anymore we are nearly over-run with deer and lots of other game, will come in handy when the starvation times come. At this point I just hope we make it through the winter...game will be easy enough but I only have so  many cans of vegetables put back..., and lol, a case of MRE tortellini entrees.

Guest blacksmith

you can hunt with crossbows up here nice bow we have one have not tried to hunt with it yet

I actually made the bowstring Roving. I used dacron 50 and braided in 27 strands.  it's actually good to 250lbs.  I've made a few flemish strings for my longbow, but this is the first i've done for a crossbow.  Actually turned out pretty good, considering.  Hardest part was winding the serving. For some reason, it kept slipping when I twist tightened the string.

any chance you could do a tutorial on braiding bowstrings?

EDIT! oops, i just found your link, thanks...  doh.gif

Guest smallgamehunter

:thumbup: :thumbsup: sweet paint job on that crossbow ant