WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RovingArcher

Finally replaced the defective pack

With one a that is larger with a bit of adjustment built into it.  It always takes me awhile to find something that meets my requirements, so as is my MO, I look till I find something I like and it's dirt cheap, meaning it's probably discontinued and half price or something.  Anyway, I cruised over to REI and was checking out their packs.  I see this smallish pack in a display and ask the guy at the sunglasses case if there's another one in the store.  He says nope, that's the last one.  That particular pack has been discontinued.  So I take it off of the half figured mannequin and try it on (it's stuffed with pillows).  He says, he'll find out how much and leaves with it.  A few minutes later he comes back with a price of $38.00, so I buy it and bring it home.  I load it up with 8# worth of gear and take it for an hour long hike.  Did some adjusting to make it weightless and comfortable and when I got home, I felt good about the buy.  Great little pack for what I spent to get it.  It's called the REI Jet UL, which is an 1800ci/30liter pack that weighs in at a bit over a pound.  It is hydration compatible, but they use a couple of tabs to hang the bladder on, instead of adding the heavier pocket.  It has a foam back pad, which can be removed for those wanting to save a few ounces of weight.  It's stiff, but comfortable when adjusted to the torso.  Has a couple of mesh pockets outside and a small zippered pocket on the waist belt. 

P1040555.jpg

P1040554.jpg

Nice pack, it is about the size of the one I use on Search and Rescue missions. the removable foam back pad makes a good seat for wet or cold ground when you stop for breaks  :thumbsup:

My REI weekend pack looks just like that one.  I love it!  You got a great deal on it, RovingArcher!  I know you'll be happy with it. :thumbsup:

Nice pack, it is about the size of the one I use on Search and Rescue missions. the removable foam back pad makes a good seat for wet or cold ground when you stop for breaks  :thumbsup:

Ha!  Great idea doc.  To be honest, it never occured to me.  Figured I would just leave it be, but I probably would of come up with that eventually. LOL.

My REI weekend pack looks just like that one.  I love it!  You got a great deal on it, RovingArcher!  I know you'll be happy with it. :thumbsup:

They actually sold 3 different packs that look pretty much the same, but are different sizes.  I've got the heavier Moraine as my backpack, but liked this ones size for day hikes and maybe a weekend if I worked at it.

Thanks SK.  I've been looking ever since I got rid of the Flash pack.  I borrowed, bought and returned and tried on several and this one caught my eye and it's all worked out great.  Posted over at BF and seems there are a few there that own the same pack and are real happy with it.  I've since used it and it is a great little pack.  One of these years I'll have the time to go out and do a group review on different items I've picked up, but havn't had the opportunity to use yet.