WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KentuckyWoodsman

Cell Phones in the back country

I know there is a lot of us our there that dislike cell phones or at least they don't like taking them in the back country with them so,  I am wondering how many of us take our cell phones with us when we are out hiking? The reason I ask this is due to a situation we had on the Pine Mountain Trail here in our area. We had 3 hikers get lost in a heavy  fog on the mountain top and one fell from a cliff and received a compond fracture from  the fall. They had no other form of communication but there cell phone and no GPS. They did use there cell phone to call for help and even with that it took rescuers nearly 12 hours to find them and get the injured hiker out of the woods. I usually take my cell phone with me for situations like the one mentioned above, although it is not usually turned on.  While on this subject how many people keep some form of back up power supply in there survival gear if they do take a cell phone with them?

Well..., I do miss the days before cell phones sometimes, and to possibility of being tracked where ever I go is a two edged sword to me. However because I am now a family man I either have my kids with me which makes it necessary to carry one or I have kids at home I worry about which also necessitates having one alone though I have never carried back up power...I suppose I should look into one of those little energizer lithium powered chargers.

I don't understand it taking 12 hours to find them since shortly after Sept. 11th 2001 the government requires GPS units in all cell phones. Seems they should have been able to access that.

I always take my tracfone with me when I am in the back country.  No I don't bring any kind of bckup power source for it.  I only turn it on for a couple hours at ngiht when I am sitting around camp in case anyone needs to reach me and to check any messages.  Rangers actually encourage people to take cell phones with them.  It can sure expedite being rescued.  Even if they can't reach you they can still track you using the phone.

Instead of geting one of those energyser emergency phone charger you should go to solio.com and get one of there solar chargers that be used to charge several diffrent devices

I always have my cell phone, even if you can't get a call out, a text will often work instead.  I am looking for one of those crank chargers for my phone also.

You can find them in the Automotive section at Walmart.

I carry mine, but leave it off and packed away someplace safe.  Most of the areas aound where I live will usually have access, but if I head south, no way is there a signal.  I used to talk to Australia on the CB radio when skip was in, but call 20 miles on the cell, forget it.

KW, I always carry my cell phone with me.  I have a windup charger with a radio, flashlight, and siren on it.  My phone gets good reception everywhere I've ever taken it.

I heard from my friend Casey at Alltel that they were bought out by Verizon. What a huge conglomerate that will be!  She said that cell phones are becoming very popular in Africa now.  Imagine...people in Africa texting people in Europe or North America...how amazing!

If I want peace and quiet to enjoy my surroundings, I just silence the ringer on my cell phone.  I do check it in case a family member needs me.  And if I trip and fall and get hurt (which is SO like me!) my cell phone has a GPS on it.