WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LCount

Best Places for a first time Wilderness Camper, Northern Canada

Hey everyone, Im brand new and looking for some help on finding some good areas to go wilderness camping in northern ontario.

Ive been "camping" many times as a kid, I was in the boyscouts for years and have a pretty decent skill out in nature, but I have never truely 'roughed it'

After some deep thought (and a few episodes of survivorman) I decided I need to do some wilderness camping to truely appreciate nature and the true beauty of Canada.

So we're looking to do this towards the end of May, somewhere up North, preferably a decent fishing area. Drive up north with a few friends, grab our stuff and hike out to our destination brining only essentials, enough food for a few days, but intend to do some fishing and more than likely extend our stay.

Thanks for any help!

Guest blacksmith

HI Lcount welcome to wild survive I live in Alaska so can not help you with your camp site needs but hope you like it here at wild survive

Welcome to the forums LCount. Algonquin Provisional Forest in Northern Ontario is a great place for primitive camping. There are places to rent a canoe and paddle out to authorized camping locations if you wish. Actually Huntsville is just west of Algonquin and is the home of Les Stroud survivorman.

You can go further north to North Bay home of Allen "Bow" Beauchamp who trains survival techniques and a close friend and adviser to Les Stroud.

http://wildwoodtracking.com/scout/

Bow is a member here and teaches survival classes. He can show you primitive camping in that area.

Hey LCount, welcome.

I can't offer up any locations for you and your friends, but I can offer up a word or two of caution.  If you havn't been in the wilds before, you should probably put the gear together that you plan on taking with you and learn to use it.  If you take a tent, learn to set it up in the dark, because you might have to.  Learn to build a fire now, in the snow and you will be successful when conditions are less severe.  Have plenty of water with you when you go and if you camp near water and the bugs are out, have a place to go when the skeeters are looking for food.  Read up on bears and the area you will be going into.  Know where to place a fire and where not to build a fire and why.  Take an extra day or two of food with you, just in case you can't get out as you intended.  Give someone written information, with a map, where you are going and when you will be back.  If you don't show up, they are the ones that are sending in the calvary to save your butt.

Hey im looking for some places but more southern ontario more south then espanola which is barely mid ontario. I have been to Algonquin but wana camp out on some crown land break some of my own trails.

Welcome to the forum, LCount! 

R.A.'s advice is good, practice with all of your equipment before packing it all out into the wild.  In addition, try a couple of shorter overnight or day trips with your pack in order to "break yourself in."  If you find problems on the short overnight trips you can make adjustments to the pack before you "get out there" in the bush.  You have a lot of options on the types of equipment and food you'll be carrying.  A test run in which you have the ability to bug out back home easily will help you become familiar with it all before you have to really rely on it.  Let me also recommend member Dave469's Trekking Tutorial:

http://www.wildsurvive.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=73&topic=1241.0

Dave has hiked and packed a lot of miles over many different areas of the country and has plenty of good advice.

hey lcount.....algonquin is my all time fav.......go there as much as i can

and im in London ON