WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Recycling Foods...survival gardening

Ok...we all know that times are rough and we are having to make our dollars stretch as far as possible. I like to cook, and I do a good bit of it. I tend to try not to waste anything at all. In saving even the end of an onion for future use I got a pleasant surprise one day....the possibility of much more than just that little end piece of onion a new addition to the garden plot as I have been studying small plot gardening methods.

PICT0546.jpg

PICT0545.jpg

PICT0883.jpg

PICT0884.jpg

Next will come the potatoes I'm working on from a couple that produced eyes before I could cook them, and I have more onions cut and started in the fridge. Now I am wondering how many things I use from the produce dept. will reproduce so simply. Has anyone else started anything like this?

Mist, Good going there. You can grow potatoes and onions just fine that way. I grew yams this past year from a yam that produced eyes. Make your self a raised garden bed. Old tires work good to grow potatoes in as they heat with the sun then release the heat into the soil at night.

If all goes right this should be the result this comming summer..., at least this is what I am going for. These pics were sent by my friend Barry down in New South Wales.

Red Onion

Spanishonion01.jpg

Red Onion Flower

Seed-1.jpg

Brown Onion and Flower

Brownonion.jpg

Brown Onion Flower. Each of the white pods holds three seeds so I should be planting lots of onions if the other two sprout also.

Seed-2.jpg

Just had a look at growing garlic, and I think I will have a go at some of that also. It seems to work the same way making flower/seed pods similar to onions. I have some whole cloves...I am wondering if they would sprout.

Well..., I don't know if it's dead or if the cold spell just killed of the upper shoots but this is what my poor onion looks like now. There is still a hint of green at the base but I'll have to watch and see if that green is waxing or waning.

PICT1008.jpg

PICT1009.jpg

I dont have to high of hopes for your onion plant.....you need some winter onion plants like I have... I'll go see what they look like when I go do chores in a few minutes....

I dont have to high of hopes for your onion plant.....you need some winter onion plants like I have... I'll go see what they look like when I go do chores in a few minutes....

I know I need some Winter onions, lol, I've already been told this by another friend. Are they white onions, browns, reds, or what?

Here are a couple of my green winter onions.....you can see them coming up and green thru the snow.... also they can be eaten right now but I never seem to go pick them in the winter,....matter of fact... I usually forget about them all year long and my husband plants little green onions in the garden every year.... I need to start using them... also I have a couple little onion sets I took from the stem just now too and will send them to you if you pm me with your address.....

onions001tt2.jpg

onions004pt4.jpg

No no jeese  :nono:  we dont have a garden here at home too many flowers. So were going to plant the garden at the farm.  doh.gif

I saw someone say something about growing potatoes in tires. I've been doing it for years. Even if you don't have much of a yard you can do it. Just get some seed potatoes and a few tires. Pour dirt in the tire and put your taters down an inch or so, when the shoots are taller than the tire stack another tire on top and pour more dirt in it, covering the shoots. kepp doing this until you are 4 or 5 tires high then kick the tires over and you should have 20 or 30 pounds of taters per tire. just make sure you water them regurarly as the ground will pull alot of water away from them.

Coty

Cw0203..... I am gonna have to tell my gardener about this.....I want him to try it next year..... Never heard of it before.....  8| But.......... Yah learn something new everyday..... and today is my day.... :)

I know, Doro, alot of folks have never heard of it. I saw my grandpa do it when I was a little fella and it's never failed me. I usualyy get old tires from the side of the road, helps keep the roads a little cleaner anyway.

Coty

that's the whole point of it KB. I'm too old to be diggin spuds. much easier to stack than dig.

Coty

Great website, Rocky!  I'm going to use some of those ideas for my patio garden at my apartment. :grin:

im going wild garlic picking next week.........they should be done then, it grows allll over the place,should be done  in a few weeks though, i will take pics of it, so you can see if its in your area too