WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Do you keep spices in your kits?  If so, what kinds?  I just went through and added some Mrs Dash seasoning, salt, garlic salt, cinnamon, and minced onions, as well as Cherry Cool-Aid and Hot Cocoa Mix to my kit.  All the spices are in pill bottles, and the others are in baggies. 

Anyone else have a similar set up to make your wilderness food more enjoyable?

Guest blacksmith

Johny salt we use a lot of it garlic is good I do not know all the  spices I have in my kit will have to look

Just to let you know, if your spices are not in air tight containers, they will go stale in no time. Not so much the salt and pepper, but cinnamon and garlic for sure.

Yup.., lol, that's why I stck to the basics and add some from my kitchen stock if I am planning on fixing a specific food on an outing.

Please, please do not store spices or any edibles in film canisters that may have contained film at some point.

Bad, bad, bad chemicals!!

I usually carry: salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and chilli powder. I also often carry rosemary, thyme and oregano.

I carry salt, pepper, soy sauce, mustard, garlic powder and ALWAYS Old Bay spice (especially on fishing trips). I vacuum seal it and throw it in the back pack. I also seal iodine tabs in there. The salt/pepper/soy sauce and mustard are the packaged ones from fast food places. When I vacuum seal it I throw in one of those silicon packs too, or a tablespoon of uncooked rice just to keep things dry.

Salt, black pepper & tobasco red pepper.  I used to carry more of the fast food pre packaged seasonings, but havn't been hitting the fast food circuit.  When I'm taking anything Italian (freeze dried), I throw some grated cheese in the kitchen prep pouch. 

Also, I picked up some food grade tube vaults with tamper resistent caps from county comm and they work great for my favorite sweetener (honey) and favorite hot sauce (Tapatio).  I also use them for dry tinder.

Garlicfestival.com has a wonderfull veriaty go garlic based seasonings  I plan to order some to keep in my kits and my field gear in the army to ad flavor to mres oh and they also have low sodium seasonings as well

Salt, black pepper & tobasco red pepper.  I used to carry more of the fast food pre packaged seasonings, but havn't been hitting the fast food circuit.  When I'm taking anything Italian (freeze dried), I throw some grated cheese in the kitchen prep pouch. 

Also, I picked up some food grade tube vaults with tamper resistent caps from county comm and they work great for my favorite sweetener (honey) and favorite hot sauce (Tapatio).  I also use them for dry tinder.

LOL! Tapatio is on my grocery list! I ran out last night!

Wow, some real good ideas here everyone. I also take spices according to what I plan to eat. That way it will be as frsh as possible. I'm considering one of those vacuum sealers.

Wow, some real good ideas here everyone. I also take spices according to what I plan to eat. That way it will be as frsh as possible. I'm considering one of those vacuum sealers.

Vacuum sealers are AWESOME for all sorts of camping and bush purposes!

Guest smallgamehunter

sea salt pepper and sage all in a backaper spice shaker from coleman

i took the packets out of a ramon soup (mamy-chand clear soup) it comes with the ramon season packet,garlic paste,and chili packet.i picked up salt and pepper,soy sauce, and parmesan cheese packet (costco) from the different resturants.

Welcome to our forums Reaction. Ive changed you to verified user so you can use the private message function. Thanks for the input and feel free to add or post your information. If you have any questions just ask.

salt & pepper, some tabasco sauce.

And I include some honey packets for use as a sweetner and for a energy booster.

I found a moisture proof salt and pepper shaker made by Swiss Gear (I think), I am thinking about getting two...one for S & P and one for the some garlic and some crushed dried peppers.