WildSurvive Forum
Rockhounder

What's For Dinner Tonight?

:hugegrin:

Well, since we have such a diverse bunch of campers here at WildSurvive, I thought I'd start a thread of what we are all going to make for dinner. It doesn't have to be any special meal, it can be the everyday too. I thought this would be a good recipe exchange thread.

I'll start the first post....

Well............We had cropies, poppers, brocilli , and applesauce tonight for our supper. We had cropies two nights in a row, but I could eat fish 5 times a week.....Good stuff....

Uh Doro  :/  its crappies (fish) broccoli, and I have no idea what poppers are.

I picked up some dried New Mexico chili while I was in New Mexico and so I made some chili roja (red chili) or some know it as Chili Colorado.

The sauce is real simple, you start with a basic roux

2 TBL shortening

2 TBL flour

stir till bubbling then mix in 1/4 to 3/4 cup of chili powder (depending on your palette)

then stir in 2 cups of water (you can use beef stock too)

3/4 tsp salt

Stir and let simmer about 15 minutes.

Ok, now this red sauce is going to be used on an old old old recipe that is getting harder and harder to find. This was passed down through many generations in my family.

separate 8 eggs and beat the whites until frothy like meringue

mix a TBL of flour in the yolks and add a TBL of camarrones (dried powdered shrimp)

THen fold it all together

Heat up a few TBL of oil in a frying pan and drop mix (about three TBL full) into the oil turn and fry. this recipe will make about 12 - 15 little fried "eggs" and let drain on a paper towel.

Then gently mix all the fried eggs into the chili roja and simmer a minute or two and serve hot. Sprinkle grated asadero or cotija cheese on top and serve with refried beans.

If desired, you can top with fresh chopped  cilantro.

YUM YUM!!!!!!

That sounds really good Rocky.

Tonight dinner was a simple affair. Late last night I browned all surfaces of a three pound chuck roast in a little hot oil then put the roast, five carrots cut into 2 inch sections, six potatoes cut into quarters length ways, a couple of onions and a pack of McCormick slow cooker beef stew mix and in 1 and 1/3 cups water into a crock pot and let it slow cook for ten hours, turned down to keep warm for a while and vuala dinner, all you need is bowls and forks. Though this is normaly served with corn bread here tonight we had french bread.

Tacos!!

Geeeeez....tacos?! I was expecting so much more from you than just tacos. Oh well.... I suppose even great chefs need a break now and then

That sounds really good Rocky.

Tonight dinner was a simple affair. Late last night I browned all surfaces of a three pound chuck roast in a little hot oil then put the roast, five carrots cut into 2 inch sections, six potatoes cut into quarters length ways, a couple of onions and a pack of McCormick slow cooker beef stew mix and in 1 and 1/3 cups water into a crock pot and let it slow cook for ten hours, turned down to keep warm for a while and vuala dinner, all you need is bowls and forks. Though this is normaly served with corn bread here tonight we had french bread.

This sounds really good to me.....yummmmm

Geeeeez....tacos?! I was expecting so much more from you than just tacos. Oh well.... I suppose even great chefs need a break now and then

Its just that way Misty. Ya ever seen a mechanics car? Or a carpenters house? I bet the taco shells are even from a box! :)

Hey, you try making taco shells from scratch... with a whinning 9-month old hangin' off your pant leg and a slightly overweight dog drooling at your feet waiting for falling scraps.

Ain't gonna happen my friend.

Old El Paso is my friend and saviour!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I did do that Blue! Twice!

It's easy Blue! Get a pie pan and put about 1/4 inch of white vinegar in it. preheat the oven to 300F. Soak the corn tortillas in the vinegar for about 2 or 3 seconds and then fold the tortilla around the middle oven rack (like hanging a towel on a rack) so it makes a taco shape. Do a dozen and bake until crispy. The vinegar evaporates and has not taste on the taco shells.

That's the "fat free" easy way.

El Paso aint so bad either.....

Hey Grandpa whats for supper!

Eggs-a-la-goldenrod.

Boil eggs in the shell

Fry bacon to crispy

Make white sauce in bacon grease in the pan

Toast bread

Pour white sauce over the toast

Slice boiled eggs over the white sauce

Sprinkle bacon bits over the top. 

Salt and pepper to taste  :thumbup:

Hey Grandpa whats for supper!

Eggs-a-la-goldenrod.

Boil eggs in the shell

Fry bacon to crispy

Make white sauce in bacon grease in the pan

Toast bread

Pour white sauce over the toast

Slice boiled eggs over the white sauce

Sprinkle bacon bits over the top. 

Salt and pepper to taste  :thumbup:

~    :dribble:

I did do that Blue! Twice!

It's easy Blue! Get a pie pan and put about 1/4 inch of white vinegar in it. preheat the oven to 300F. Soak the corn tortillas in the vinegar for about 2 or 3 seconds and then fold the tortilla around the middle oven rack (like hanging a towel on a rack) so it makes a taco shape. Do a dozen and bake until crispy. The vinegar evaporates and has not taste on the taco shells.

That's the "fat free" easy way.

El Paso aint so bad either.....

Yeah, well thats all well and good, but where's the rug rat and mutt in that scenario... huhhh? They tend to complicate the process a bit.

:P :P

~ Tuna Casserole! :thumbsup: :P

two packages of Starkist Tuna Creations (Lemon Pepper flavored)

a cup or "so" of cooked noodles (whatever you have)

a can of english peas (rinsed)

a can of cream of mushroom soup

a soup can of Mayo

mix up all that junk....

butter a casserole dish

dump it in. (Oh... heat your oven to 350)

put some grated cheese on top (whatever you have)

I crunch up RITZ crackers on top of the cheese, and drizzel them with REAL butter.

and bake for about 35 minutes!

I feel that the crunching up of the crackers in my own hands lends a certain homemade flare to the dish. :smoke:

Yeah, well thats all well and good, but where's the rug rat and mutt in that scenario... huhhh? They tend to complicate the process a bit.

:P :P

~ What's the mutt eating for dinner tonight?  Does he eat dog food or left overs?  :unsure:

(Just wondering what a chef's dog eats.)  :P

(trying to figure out what to come back as in my next life.)

That's a good question Taken...

~ Thanks! I thunk it up myself. :hugegrin:

My dogs eat Blue Wilderness dry dog food mixed with one half can of Blue Buffalo Venison canned dog food.   I mix it up, microwave it for exactly 45 seconds, and put it in their bowls. They gobble it up like it's fillet mignon.

:thumbup:

Sometimes that dog takes a bite out of Blues butt. I saw the shocking results once.  :scared: Thats where he got the name Bigpink.  :P

My dogs eat Blue Wilderness dry dog food mixed with one half can of Blue Buffalo Venison canned dog food.   I mix it up, microwave it for exactly 45 seconds, and put it in their bowls. They gobble it up like it's fillet mignon.

:thumbup:

Interesting.... do they also pass blue turds  :unsure:

~      just wait until he's rough-housing with baby girl one night... playing around!  :whistle:

The mutt won't know he's playing, and Bigblue's gonna see who's side that dog is on!   happy061.gif

(Happened to my dad once...  I was four and he was playing mean ole monster with me... I was screaming and running from him and he was growling... and along came the dog................)   :nono:    :rofl: