WildSurvive Forum
RovingArcher

.22lr banned from hunting?

In Monterey Co., California it has.  Mainly because there are no all copper bullets available for the .22.  It seems that our county has passed ordances that ban lead projectiles.  So, shotgun hunters have to pick up all copper ammo and .22s have been banned altogether for small game and even plinking.  The reasoning?  The Condor, which had been extinct for quite awhile and they said it was because of lead bullets left in escaped game and entrails.  At least, that is what's killing the Condors they have planted.  Or, so they say.  Evidently the Condor is the only carrion eating bird that was affected and because it is so majestic (large), the anti-hunting do gooders decided to get lead banned in parts of Monterey Co.  Then it was county wide.  Now California is starting to consider banning lead from all state hunting and it seems that other states are considering this as well, because Condors used to live there.  Can you believe this crud?  It's a back door to restricting hunting ammunition and firearms.  They are saying, that because they are banned from hunting, that .22 firearms are going to have a huge tax placed on them. 

I have for some time wondered about shooting ranges and trap shooting. The area has to be loaded with lead over the years. Our local gun range has been there since I was a kid. There must be a ton of lead in the hillside back stop. I wonder how long before they think about that?

Lead projectiles, and fishing weights have been banned in many places. In a lot of states it is now illegal to use lead sinkers, and lead shot when duck hunting. I personaly don't buy lead fishing weights anymore even though they are as of yet not banned here. I think the .22 is versatile enough that someone out there will at some point soon produce a projectile from an alternative material...and the new ammo will definitely cost more because few things are as cheap as lead to produce.

This is just another atempt to ban guns all together in this country. The governmet is trying to do this because we have the right to over turn the goverment when they aint doing there jobs and they fiqure if we have no guns we can't over turn them. Its like the laws with the faa and sencering swear words that's just another way parents to be lazy and have the goverment  help them. If you don't want your kids to hear cuss words then get off your ass and make sure there listening to some thing apropreate.

I think they should ban cars in California, all of those lead tire weights falling off of the cars along the highway getting into the environment  :hugegrin:

I have spent some time in California and from what I saw there, it is more likely all the pesticides that killed the condors, I saw a lot of dead hawks and owls near the fields and along the roads there.

I can't say it surprises me, tactics like these will be used to create a back-door ban if we aren't diligent.  All I can say is "Vote da bums out.."

You are sadly mistaken if you think the government is pulling the strings.... let alone the people having any influence. Look deeper than that. Our countries are not politically run... it is the corporations that have ALWAYS ran the government. Our society is a slave to business and the art of "making money". This is not a conspiracy theory.... it is very out in the open. Sure, there is alot of smoke and mirrors... but the truth is that the finacial institutions along with super corporations hold ALL the cards. We let it happen, we still contribute to it everyday... and now we have to ride it out.... it won't stay like this forever... nothing ever does... it just the way it works... "Evolution is simply a trail of corrected mistakes."..... Business as usual.

Most of the lead in the rivers and lakes is from livestock and feed lots in erodible areas. Human waste is also a huge contributor to heavy metals.

Full metal jacket bullets can be a huge help with this problem. However, FMJ bullets are illegal for hunting in many areas!

Fulltime range instructors undergo rigorous testing for lead exposure. Its not uncommon for a range instructor to be sidelined due to lead exposure! I have seen this at our training acadamy.

I have no qualms with Heavy Metal! Especially if its Blues based! "Sing on brother, play on drummer."