WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Scent

When hunting do you cover your scent? or use a scent attactor pad to overcome your own scent?

How many use a special wash soap as a cover or nutralizer or some natural essence on your body and or clothes?

bob:

Your poll does not allow multiple choice, so I clicked on the first one:  scent neutralizer.  But in addition to that, I use a drag***

***A little piece of terrycloth dipped in buck or doe urine, and tied with a string to my boot.

Then, when I am up in the tree, I make sure that the drag is dangling -- and stinking -- under me about five feet.

So mebbe that is THREE choices...

Unca Walt

Sorry Unca Walt, should have thought of that I tried to go back and enter multiple vote but I couldn't, but youir right on.

Guest adrenjunky

I use a carbon scent blocker on me, tinks 69 as an attractant.

Strictly a ground stalking bow hunter, so I usually use a natural scent on my clothes by storing the clothes in a bag with the flora I'm using and rubbing fresh on when I get into the field.  Also, depending on where I'm hunting and there's a camp ground nearby, I'll use smoke from a campfire to smudge myself.  The deer in the area would be used to the smell of smoke and the human smell together and they wouldn't freak out near as bad as just human scent nearby.

I store my clothes in a plastic bag with dried sage inbetween season. I am when the time and opertunity is right going to make moccasins with some shearling pads near the heels to put a drop of scent so it wafts along the ground level.

Ok, I don't hunt myself, not that I wouldn't or haven't, but I end up home with the kiddies when hubbie goes out, well, anyway...hubbie has his own little rituals for hunting and I don't know the whole thing, it involves pine shad and little bottles of Tink's etc., but one that he absolutely SWEARS by is eating venison the evening before he goes out. I have to pat him on the back; he is a very successful hunter, and if he says it works, I have to believe it! :grin:

Muzzleloader opened yesterday and he had chicken for dinner tonight, so we'll see how he makes out tomorrow AM in this Nor'Easter...yeah, he's pretty dedicated! :grin:

Well, just to check back in with the "eating venison before hunting" thing, he did not get any deer in the AM, but came home, had a big ole fat deerburger for lunch, and shot 2 by dinner time!! :cool: There has to be SOMETHING to this! :grin:  I'm going out with him the weekend after next after shotgun opens up...guess what I'm having for dinner the night before! :hugegrin:

Ok, forget the deerburger... One of my biggest concerns in the field is "bathroom facilities" :hugegrin: :hugegrin: You know how us woman are, we have to pee 600 times a day! :hugegrin: I have heard two schools of thought on this; one is that it will scare the deer away, the other is that it will peak their curiosity.  The deer around me live in pretty close proximity to humans, so they aren't as nervous as they are wont to get.  SO...you are sitting ever so quietly in your stand, been there for a about an hour and the sun comes up and you have to pee...do you risk making the noise to get off the beaten path and keep the scent away from your spot or do you stay nearby, making less racket but possibly frightening deer away with a strange scent?  I have talked to a few old timers who say the first thing they do is pee all around their spot, and swear by it, then there are others who swear NEVER to do that? Anybody have any input on this one?