WildSurvive Forum

After several prototypes... over-engineering, under-engineering, bad sewing, improper sizing...... I nailed it!

My wool blanket anorak is near perfect. A few buttons here and there..... it will be done.

This was made to serve as my "Walking Shelter" for extended bush wandering when I would constantly be on the move with no permanent camp.

Here is the evolution......

first prototype "bush shirt"....

BushShirt.jpg

second prototype (sorry, no actual photos)... over-engineered... to many bells and whistles. The pockets were impractical because I took it off several times a day and had to empty the pockets everytime. Plus I found that having two layers sewn together was way too warm while moving around....

rickscappote.jpg

third prototype... plain jane..... it worked well, but the head hole was too small and it needed slits up the sides to access belt items more easily. It also lacked a hood of its own. The two separate layers worked great... I used only 1 during activity and doubled up to sleep or sit in....

Learningaboutsnowshelters.jpg

Current model... I used the last protoype with new modifications (intergal hood, reinforcing webbing around collar and 9" side slits) The anorak is still ay a 2 in 1 design. In extreme cold there is an second, identical anorak (without a hood), sewn 1 inch smaller, that goes under the first...

131434.jpg

131930.jpg

Comments.... suggestions?....

Rick

They are made from wool blankets, SK. Rick, with the neck open as it is, you don't find it too open to the elements?

Looks darn good to me Bro, looks very well put together. I liked having the patch pocket on the front of mine to puts my hands in when walking though. What do you do when your hands need a break from the wind, pull the arms in and wear it poncho style for a few.

They are made from wool blankets, SK. Rick, with the neck open as it is, you don't find it too open to the elements?

makes it easier to get on and off over that big head of his  :P  and probably makes a small "chimney" for a little heat to rise toward the face and neck making good use of the extra heat created during movement and physical exertion, elevating the temperature of the air around exposed areas. but can tightened around the face and pinned together during time of stillness.

You need to design one that unzips into a full blanket.  :unsure:

Why?..... so if I'm cold I can wrap it around me... kinda like an ANORAK!!!!?.... jeez.......... lol.... just kidding bud.

Mist got it right on all four accounts...

1. Normally, I wear mitts on a lanyard, but when I don't, the sleeves are wide enough to fold my arms in with my hands resting on the armpit seams... like a chicken.

2. My huge head

3. It vents really well when I need it to.

4. I have sewn some button closures on them since the pics.

Kim.....

I might be offering them for sale in the future.

Dave.....

It is the same one I'm wearing with the kids in pic #3..... I just added a hood and side cuts.

I see. I have a few minor details to finish up on mine, and it's done. I'm gonna go a little high tech and use velcro to close up the neck area. Only because I have some lying around.

Nice job Rick.  I gotta get working on my new one.  My old one is very plain and basic.  I like the ideas you incorporated here.  Gives me a couple ideas. 

And yes, there should be pictures taken. :hugegrin:

GOOD, can't wait to see them, don't forget to hide the beans from Mice  ;)

Looks Great Rick.  :thumbup:

Maybe you should have put flaps with buttons over the other one with the pockets. Just a idea. I like both designs.

They are really warm. They also cut the wind surprizingly well too. I used to be a firm believer in the high tech fabrics, but I am being convinced that the old school way of layering is unbeatable. I'm lucky, I'm a big guy, so carrying the extra weight of the wool layers is not that noticable. When you combine some of the high tech with the tried and true, you have a can't fail combo.