WildSurvive Forum
shrek

Alaskan wolf hunting.

I just saw a Larry King interview with Ashly Judd about the Alaskan aerial wolf hunting.  She was saying how the people of Alaska were against it and that Sarah Palin pushed it through anyway so that the out f state trophy hunters could have some fun. Also, she wants to allow the aerial hunting of black bear sows and their cubs. Now I know that this is just one side of the story, so I was wondering if some people could elaborate on it. I guess Blacksmith could give us the best perspective on this.

Rich people games. They change hunting into killing and miss the whole concept entirely. It sorta fits with my opinion of Palin. It just goes to you you how far good looks can get ya.  wacky115.gif

Rich people games. They change hunting into killing and miss the whole concept entirely. It sorta fits with my opinion of Palin. It just goes to you you how far good looks can get ya.   wacky115.gif

Agreed.  On both counts....

I agree swede. it's just trophy hunting. I have sent palin letters against this cruel(sp) act. and signed petitions against it. i am not against responsible hunting at all just the cruel and senseless ones.

I agree swede. it's just trophy hunting. I have sent palin letters against this cruel(sp) act. and signed petitions against it. i am not against responsible hunting at all just the cruel and senseless ones.

Attagirl, Kim!   :thumbup:

That is not what is going on with the culling of the wolf packs in Alaska. It is being done to thin the wolf packs to help bring up the caribou herds again. The wolves are getting to the point of over hunting the caribou herds and moose. Which leads to confrontations with people and domestic animals. Increased wolf attacks. And aerial hunting in that vast wilderness is necessary. And it's not like other states don't have bounties on predators either. And they aren't cutting the paws off the whole wolf is taken in to collect the money. Which then the pelts are sold also.

And it was voted on by the people or state legislator's of Alaska. Not just decided on by Gov Palin. The alternative to this would be for the practice of Denning by the native Alaskans as has been done in the past. Which have stated they would start to do again.

And as for Ashley Judd who is a member of PETA naturally she wants to stir up trouble. That is why PETA now is striking out at fishermen too. Calling for a ban on all fishing. Calling fish Sea kittens.

And she is a member of Defenders of Wildlife also, which is against hunting. It is Political BS by this said group.

I am agenst anny form of hunting where the animal is not used for food and every pice of it is used that is physicaly possable. Anny person that is caught hunting just for the trophy by some one who is a true hunter shoul be shot on sight and skinned... maybey skined while alive

Thanks for filling us in on the other side of the issue, Tatonka.  If you hadn't spoken up the rest of us might have gone on without knowing what was really going on.  oops.gif

In Montana the Canadian grey wolf was introduced in the '90s. It is a vicious predator that is not native to this state or the Rocky Mountain areas of the United States.

The wolf they were supposed to replace is the Rocky Mountain Timber wolf. The timber wolf grew to about 80 Lbs for a large male, Canadian greys grow to 140+ Lbs.

They were supposed to feed on the buffalo in Yellowstone, but found the elk were much easier targets. The northern herd of elk in Yellowstone went from a high of about 38000 in the 1980s to presently around 6000 animals. The elk herds in western Montana have been decimated.

The wolves breed like rats and have spread from Yellowstone as far south as Colorado and Utah. In Montana they have shown up as far west as Jordan which is only about 100 miles from the North Dakota border.

They are attacking herds of domestic livestock, with devastating results. Some farmers and ranchers can't raise animals to sell as the young are destroyed by wolves before they can be sold.

Last year around 275 wolves were destroyed for livestock predation.

When the wolves were introduced, we were told once they reached a population density of 100 wolves, 10 breeding pairs per state impacted they would be delisted.

Montana, Idaho and Wyoming put approved plans in place to manage the wolves. They now number over 1800, but may not be managed as there now isn't "genetic diversity".

The western states are suffering as badly from Canadian grey wolves as the fisheries in the east with the snakehead fish, another invasive foreign species.

When ethical hunting by licensed sportsmen is not allowed, then there are 2 options left. 1) The Fish and Game Department kills them when they attack livestock, pets, or possibly humans. Or 2) an irregular season called SSS by locals who have had their livelyhood destroyed. SSS stands for Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

In laymans terms, covert war on them.

The political reasons the people like judd have for lying to the American and international communities is criminal at best. They set the stage for animals being destroyed without the best intrest of the species in mind, only political ends.

Passions are running high here about the situation, and unless some commonsense management is put into place soon, the residents will take it into their own hands and handle it. It won't be pretty.

Oh, and hillbilly, I have hunted most of my life as have my ancestors. If you don't want to hunt, fine. I live on wild game. What is the difference between my taking a deer to feed my family, and catching a fish?? I find it reprehensible that people will look down their noses at people who take responsibility for their place in the natural order by providing for their families by their skill. If you don't hunt, fine. Live on McDonald burgers. I don't care. You can get your food by proxy. I provide for my family myself.

It is the responsibility of both camps to strike a balance between the taking of a wild animals life and protecting the lives of the other wild animals predated upon. There is no natural balance these days if there ever was. Man has destroyed any possibility of natural selection and natural balance.

Who than do the lives of the wild animals we have left, has the ultimate challenge of finding the right formula on unnatural balance?

In my country here in the mid west as a child coyotes were unheard of; they simply didn't exist here. Now they number in the thousands possibly tens of thousands. They are enjoying like the wolves being the Alfa animal with no natural enemies. They are the top of the food chain.

You can see what kind of effect that has on the natural balance of things.

Government and groups dont take this issue lightly. After all it falls upon us ;we who have destroyed the balance of nature in a frighteningly short period of earth time, to make the decisions to prevent extinction from happening.

They worried the wolf, the animal that provided us with our domestic dogs, would fall extinct. So the decision was made to try to prevent that. Now the wolves have proven very resilient and prosperous and have out grown their environment. So now the thinning begins. 

In a convoluted sense of the word it is all a form of natural selection. The survival of the fittest, but that tide goes back and forth or the millions of years. Man has proved to be among the most aggressive and resilient but there is nothing saying something won't kill us all off some day, probably something to small to see or too big to avoid.

Thanks for the other view Tatonka. I also do not object to culling. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done. In the interview though, they said that the natives applied to have their hunting territories expanded but were refused. Again, this is only 1 side  of the story.

in Canada you cant hunt for wolves, bears you can barley( ha!) hunt for at all, spec tags only, and are hard to get, you sure as heck cant do it form the air.

friends and i have stumbled across deer carcases in the woods only the head and mantle were taken........makes me sick that someone would leave 400lbs of deer to rot.........jerks!

had the meat been good, we would have taken it, but we did out best not to waste it, and took all the large bones for knife handles( friend is a blacksmith)

That is not what is going on with the culling of the wolf packs in Alaska. It is being done to thin the wolf packs to help bring up the caribou herds again. The wolves are getting to the point of over hunting the caribou herds and moose. Which leads to confrontations with people and domestic animals. Increased wolf attacks. And aerial hunting in that vast wilderness is necessary. And it's not like other states don't have bounties on predators either. And they aren't cutting the paws off the whole wolf is taken in to collect the money. Which then the pelts are sold also.

wolves dont kill the good ones, in the Canadian arctic, the wolves are on the tundra......100's of kms away fomr the herds.........its over hunting by HUMANS that is thinning the herds, wolves are scarcer than ever.

there was a study done in the late 70's on this..........all the data is still good, and Jaime, a good friend of min is in the Rankin Inlet in the very northern parts..........she would have to travel for about 3 days in a land rover to see a wolf........

disney made a movie about the wolfs killing the caribou.........called " never cry wolf".....was made in '83/'84.......based on the late '70's data.

its very true they only strike out at injured/sick/old herd members, but Canada also has about 6 times or so the amount of space for the herds, as central to lower alaska where they roam too.

in short,

throphy hunting is dumb

my $0.02

Well its not trophy hunting that is taking place. If you have ever been to Alaska you would understand the need for the aerial hunts. It is a vast wilderness area with lots of muskkeg bogs and no road systems like the lower 48.

And for your info the wolves do and have done killing of healthy caribou and moose. And they have killed said animals and left the carcasses to rot never to return to eat then. And wolf attacks are on the rise in Alaska as in Canada.

The native corps did ask for increased hunting range. But the Federal Govt owns most of Alaska, then the state and then the Native Alaskans. It is like what the US Govt did to the Native Americans down in the lower 48. Or what Canada did to their First Nations.  The Federal Govt wants to keep all of Alaska as a National Park and to be able to use the resources themselves. That is why they won't allow hunting on federal lands. Good example was just this past year when Iditarod racer Jeff King was arrested and charged with killing a moose inside Denali Park. Anyone who has ever hunted knows that sometimes you shot things and they run for quite a bit before falling and dying. But the feds being themselves wouldn't accept that theory and he was found guilty.

And I have read the book Never Cry Wolf many times and seen the movie. As matter effact I have it on DVD. The study was from the 70's. This is 2009 the wolf packs have increased in size through out the States that wolves are present. Alaska is ((Not)) the only state doing culling of wolf packs. Other states aren't doing in by aerial hunting but they don't have too. And the other option is the practice of Denning that the Natives did before. They have said they would do the practice again to save the caribou herds. But what the state Game Commission is doing is not trophy hunting. They are doing game management. When you take the alfa male and female out of a pack breeding stops until a new male and female take that role. Which does not happen for quite some time in the hierarcy of the wolf. It disperses the packs into other areas which lowers the numbers of wolves in a area. Which inturn lets other game species grow to healthy levels again. Because if you don't the wolves will deplete the food sources in that said area and have no problem taking someones pets or livestock to eat. And they could just decide to kill you for that meal. And it does happen.

All this is, is a political smear campaign against Gov Palin and the state of Alaska by groups that their soul purpose in this world is to cause trouble.

And everyone one here I will give you something else to ponder that is happening in Alaska as this is being written, So I wonder where the public outcry is for this. And this is happening all across Alaska.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/09/rural.alaska.villages/index.html.

attacks are on the rise,  but hey, we are invading their space......more and more each year

they arent willing to do relocation?..........by the sounds of it, you guys have crazy arse state govmt officials in office

Relocation of wolves does not work. Wolves range and will find another area to take over or end up back where they were before. It not like relocating a problem bear who may stay where they take him or there are cases where they have gone back to where they were relocated from. The packs are getting to big. All this is , is a way to help control the population of the packs and to make sure that other species can grow to healthy numbers.

People in Alaska depend on the caribou for food. And if the herds are down what do you think will happen, people starve or the animals become extinct because they become over hunted due to low numbers.

Bottom line is that only a certain number of wolves will be taken. Its not a all out war on the animal as was back in early times.

And before someone decides to think I am against the wolf or wolves I am not. I have a deep admiration for them. I wear a wolf totem around my neck in their spirit. I have many books on the wolf along with pictures.

But I also understand the need for wildlife control when it is necessary to do so.