WildSurvive Forum
shrek

Alaskan wolf hunting.

fair enough man, as long as its not all out war on em, and STRICTLY controlled by officials

Falco read the article on the guy from Ontario who was killed up in Sask. The wolves there have basiclly depleted their food source and have grown to out of control numbers. Where they have lost all fear in man.

Those camps are fenced in up there. He went outside the fenced area that day and was killed. Your govt is like ours. They say it was a black bear that killed him but the were no reports of bear in the area. But people did note the presense of a large pack of wolves. And the wolves had also been noted to be by the fence on quite a few occasions watching the workers. They have a rule that no one is to leave camp alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenton_Joel_Carnegie_wolf_attack

The Govt Officials deny that the wolves are being aggressive there but there are a number of recorded attacks in Saskatchewan

I used to spend my winter months ,because I was a construction worker, hunting coyotes. To be honest we broke every law on the books chasing them down with our four wheel drive trucks. The conservation dept pretended not to notice because of the damage the coyotes were doing to the population of other species. As far as farmers who were the most to gain by their demise we were more concerned for the quail rabbits pheasants domestic cats and dogs and other animals they were decimating. One heavy snow winter we killed 106 coyotes and that didn't count the ones that had been wounded and probably didn't survive.

Since we quit hunting them they have rapidly returned to their previous numbers. In effect their rise to the numbers is a result of man providing a perfect habitat for their success by providing live stock road kills, pets, even urban pet food set out as they have learned to venture into town at night. Some of our best hunting was within a mile of a town.

If we left the predatory animals alone would they eventually reach their own ability to survive? That remains to be seen but in the meantime what other animals will be driven into extinction and at what point will they start looking at man as food?

Right now as we debate this part of the problem and under the radar the big cats are doing the same thing. Reports of cougars, leopards and black leopards from Mexico are slowly spreading out across North America.I like many people were skeptical until I saw one with my own eyes and saw the pictures of a mountain lion killed by a deer hunter just 60 miles from my house.

Yes there is a large increase of Mountain Lion sightings and confirmed kills. We had a big cat around here that was hit and killed by a car last year not 15 miles from me. And I saw that cat one night driving home. Its the only animal that can cross a 4 lane road in two bounds. And it was a large cat. Not quite as big as the one by Swedes but more than what they say they weigh. The cats are growing to larger sizes than what historically has been especially towards the mid west and east coast, due to the bountiful game that is around including livestock.

Nature has its balance and yes we have made it unbalanced by over hunting at times. But if you notice that when animals get to where they could become extinct they come back in record numbers. Even the deer herds are growing in numbers where the areas they live in can't sustain that many which leads to disease among themselves and to humans.

No one wants all out war on any species of animal, but there is a point where you have to control the population of them for their good and ours. And this country has tried to rid itself of the coyote for centuries and look who is still here and in larger numbers.

Guest blacksmith

wolf bear are all being hunted to help up here I like to see wolfs but not what they do they kill for fun

Guest blacksmith

one winter they killed 12 moose just in back of the house we where living in and all they ate was the guts

I do like wolfs but they can get to be more then the game can take in one spot we did not have moose more then a year again

My wife who works second shift nurse has seen the cougar twice now and like you said Tatonka the cat crossed the highway in front of her with two bounds. The one I saw slink ed across the highway right at daylight as I drove up the hill out of our river valley. He nearly covered a lane of traffic with his length and tail. After topping the hill and on the way to work I kept asking myself "what in the hell did I just see"?

A lot of time they move so quickly people end up asking themselves what did I just see? My buddy saw the same cat from a deer stand. He said it was the same color as a deer same size but short legs where he could see no daylight under the animal. They can hug the ground just like the one I saw. I thought it was a deer at first glance but I could see no day light under him.

I was scratching my head that night. But knew what it was. But our DEC won't acknowledge that the cats are here. Even when one gets hit. They say it must have been some ones pet. I have seen tracks from them and know people who have seen them on their land out there doors. Like everything else the once roamed all this country like the wolf and we made them extinct around these parts or so we think. The wolves use to keep the coyotes in check so the wolves disappeared and the coyote population has sky rocketed because they have no predators besides man and now big cats.

And the wolves in Alaska are very plentiful to the point where the land can't sustain their numbers. And people just don't realize what all this means when there is no control over wildlife management. It hurts them more through starvation and disease.

Tatonka, thanks again for filling us in on what is going on with the number of wolves and the trouble they're causing.  I think if you re-read Hillbilly's post, you'll see that he wasn't against hunting in general but against trophy hunting (i.e.--putting a head on the wall and leaving the meat to rot).  I may be mistaken, but that was what I got from his post. 

Rich people games. They change hunting into killing and miss the whole concept entirely. It sorta fits with my opinion of Palin. It just goes to you you how far good looks can get ya.   wacky115.gif

~ don't EVEN get me started on that whacked-out B*tch.  There's no such thing as "hunting by helicoptor" I think you would define that as animal terrorism.  cool14.gif

Im afraid you have some thing there "T". I can see rich well healed people on a waiting list to go "hunting" from a helicopter. The job of thinning the wolf packs should be matter of conscious and not a thrill for politicians or CEOs.  I can see the connection of my own hunting of coyotes and the "short cuts" we took but one of them wasnt a 1000 dollar an hour copter ride.

It isn't going to be done by helicopter, but by sm plane. And up there it is the only way to get this done. Remember there is more wilderness than developed or rural areas. The road system is just about extinct as far as what road systems are down here in the lower 48. And they can only cull the packs so much through out the state. But if they don't it will lead into more problems. This is a subject that is very controversial at best. But remember Alaska is not the only state culling wolf packs. In the other states you can drive to most places to hunt in Alaska you can't.

And they hunt wolves in Alaska all the time. I have seen wolf mounts at the taxidermist's before from hunts.

And some may not like Gov Palin but to each is own. Everybody don't like somebody some times. But this is not the place for it.

Highway 1, from Valdez to Anchorage is the worst road I have ever seen for a paved road. You can measure the washboard in the pavement like you would a wave, that's how close together the bumps are, at least 8 inches high from crest to trough. They were talking about getting rid of that road altogether when I lived in Glenallen in '03. The hunting limits then were you can shoot 10 wolves a day on the ground, I'm not sure about in the air. Maintenance every year involves replacing patches of road because of the perma-frost, it really kills the road. Getting rid of that road would open up a huge wilderness that would most likely be controlled only by the air.

Wolves are athletes. They HAVE to kill to stay in shape. If they get out of control you have a HUGE machine of predator literally tearing meat to the ground simply to stay in shape. They don't go to a gym and work out, or take vitamins. They hunt meat, they eat the meat, then hunt some more. They have to constantly stay on alert, and constantly kill to stay sharp. What we see as being a slaughter, is just tactics for them. They have a wide range of skills for killing just about any type of animal using whatever number of them there are in a pack. That's what they do.

The bottom line is they wouldnt be doing it if it wasnt necessary. The Yellow Stone experiment shows that with the dramatic reduction of elk herds.  At least you can eat an elk and that means the last line of defense against starvation for man. In the context of a survival issue Id much rather see and hear and eat an elk.

In the end its up to man kind to control the balance of nature as best we can.

I am all for speaces control but what about human control there are about 6.5 billion of us on Earth we need to control our speaces too. we are incroching on there habitat they been surviving for millions of years without us. but I get why they need to be controlled by why so cruelly Sarha Palin is giving a 150 bounty for the front leg of any wolf shot she sickens me if I could I would just go off on her. I am about to cry now :'( so I will stop. just my 0.2 cents.

I know Hon its a hard decision to have to make. Think about the animals they are killing. Who will protect them?

Kim,

The whole wolf is turned in for the bounty. And sometimes things like this have to happen to keep the animals under control for their own good also.

Its ok Kim. Its a hard subject to discuss. People do care about animals but sometimes we have to do things to them for their own good and for the good of other animals and people.