WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

Gear packing

How do you pack your camping gear?

This series of photos show the assembled and packed gear ready for a recent one-week canoe trip for two people and one dog. Not shown are the two canoes, PFDs and associated canoe safety equipment my wife and I take all the time.

This shows the entire selection of dry foods taken on this trip. This all is contained in a bear-proof barrel.

dsc00901ph9.jpg

All bagged items are double bagged in high-quality zip-lock bags, assorted according to meals type, then labled.

dsc00903zh0.jpg

Bulk staple foods like flour, sugar, brown sugar, drink powder, and spices are all contained in strong, water-proof plastic containers that are all labled . Also shown are the cooking utenciles and my 3-pot/lid kit with cleaning supplies. Not clearly seen is a non-stick frying pan w/ folding handle and a roll of paper towels.

dsc00904sr3.jpg

A close-up of bottled food items. The one can we took on this trip is coconut milk for a curry dish and was packed out at the end of our trip.

dsc00902xy1.jpg

Two sleeping bags, two Therma-rest pads, one , sleeping bag liner (for my wimpy wife :P ), one tent w/ poles, one green plastic tarp w/ 2 aluminum poles, Walrus Treker tarp, stove and fuel bottle kit, red plastic fuel bottle (spare fuel), water purifier, asst. nalgene bottles, black mesh bag w/ sanitary products, red mesh bag w/ asst odds and ends, candle lantern inside red OR padded bag. not shown is our first-aid kit.

dsc00906ha4.jpg

All gear assembled at canoe launch site. All food is in blue bear-proof barrel. Two packbaskets hold all clothing and some gear. White plastic shopping bag holds pots and pans. Black dry-bag holds tents, sleeping bags, first-aid kit, other stuff.  Blue soft-sided cooler holds fresh cornish hens, beef tenderloin chateaubriand, other cold store items. Small black dry bag holds dog food. The two rolled pads are kneeling pads for the canoes. PFDs and on-water saftey items are in red bag under paddles.

oneweeksgearjq7.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

Big Blue, is it safe to assume you have the clothing and gear in the pack baskets in something waterproof?  If so, what do you use?

I've heard of people that use the baskets inside of big, Duluth Pack-style bags, but not on their own inside the canoes.

Also, do you store the dog food in the bearproof barrel when in camp or hang it?  I treat my dogs' food the same as ours as far as drawing the attention of bears and other woodland maurauders.

Your soooo lucky you didn't run into a the same lady that we did when we were canoe treking boyy oohhh boy did she ever lay into us for our pack and load.

We had about the same. Our food is packed in a wanigan sort of, that is attached to a freighter frame, with watertight packs for most of the rest. Been thinking of a pack barrel but the wanigan is still good.

By the way nice set up.

What a mean lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Glad I didn't ask her to portage for us :scared: :rofl: :rofl: :naughty:

LD -

Big Blue, is it safe to assume you have the clothing and gear in the pack baskets in something waterproof?  If so, what do you use?

I use two, heavy-guage garbage bags to line the inside our packbaskets. They in turn are twisted tight and closed with a strong rubber band. As well, clothing and any other need-to-be-dry items are packed in their own seperate dry bags inside of the packbasket.

Also, do you store the dog food in the bearproof barrel when in camp or hang it?

We keep the dog food inside the food barrel. and, depending on where we are (bear country, non-bear country) will will hang the barrel. We also hang that soft-sided cooler wherever we are.

I've heard of people that use the baskets inside of big, Duluth Pack-style bags, but not on their own inside the canoes.

We don't own one of those. I'd love to, but....

Oh my.... BB  ya forgot the kitchen sink  :D

Mr Coffee -

Hahahahaha!!! Yeh, canoe-camping does afford a certain amount of luxury that backpacking does not. You should see our load when we go for our anniversary trip and want REAL luxury. I still haven't figured out how to pack the air conditioner though!!

SHEEEESSHHHHHHH Quiet BB!! We canoe camp too, and after years of hard work, I FINALLY got my wife to the point where we take about the same amount of gear as we do when we are climbing!! She ever figures out we can take more and I will be crippled! :D

I love your gear, especially the homemade/handmade items. Sighhhh... a talent I neither have the skill or the time for :(

The only items we use canoe camping verses backpacking, is we each had a waterproof bag that we store our sleeping gear and one set of dry (Oh chit!) clothing in.

BB

Fantastic.  If you ever get lost you could set up for a lifetime. You will have to show pictures with the canoe loaded as well.  I am curious to see how you get all that gear into your canoe.  Or do you use two all the time?

Lost - Here's one of my canoe loaded for this same trip. Obviously whatever gear I don't have in mine, is in her's (next to mine). We almost always take two canoes unless we're out on a long (more then 6-8 day) trip where we travel one-way point to point. We very often like to go into a area that provides us with lots of one-day paddling options accessible from a base camp.

dsc009132gn2.jpg

Frostie - Our candle lantern is one of those three-candle jobbies made by Candlelier. We've had it for 4-5 years and just love it.

Dave - You too can have one of those packbaskets. Look for a workshop offered by Bill Smith who lives in Colton, NY, which is in St Lawrence county. Bill has been a long-time friend of ours, and often gives these workshops thru the Sagamore Institute in Raquette Lake. See this link:

http://www.nyfolklore.org/pubs/voic27-3-4/onair.html

Blue thanks for sharing how you pack. I have that candle lantern and never though it would fit in the OR pack cell which I also have. No I can stop wondering what to pack it in. I also have the single (original) candle lantern that I hang in my tent. It is great. Here is the link to the lanterns if anybody is interested.  www.candlelantern.com

I own one of those original candle lanterns too Frostie.  I haven't used mine in a while but now that you brought it up I guess I'll have to wipe the dust off it and take it camping.

They are great Dave I use mine ever time we tent camp. I made a chain to hang it from the loop in the center of my tent. I also have it in the pack I take in the car/truck with me. The pack is sorta a BOB.

Bravo - I purchased the canoe in '99 from the builder who is a long-time friend. In 2003 we re-did the boat making it lighter with a lighter weight canvass, lighter weight canvass filler, thinner thwarts, and adding a removable thwart for when I take out the seats. At he same time we built my wife's canoe (the one next to mine in the photo) in our friends boat shop in up-state New York. Three weeks of work that were tiring and very rewarding.

Bigblue did you hang or sink your barrels?  or neither?

Does anyone have any suggestions when it comes to a hiking trip?  Limited space n such?

and Wow that is a gorgeous canoe ( I will admitt a certain weakness)

Cheers --

Guest adrenjunky

Last week I went out hunting and camping for 5 days. This was a car camping trip.

adventure038.jpg

adventure036.jpg

adventure035.jpg

The space saver bags rock. My clothes took 1/2 the space and were kept dry for 5 days of rain and snow.