WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tatonka

Pocket Knife Owners Beware!!

Hawaiian State Senator Introduces Pocket Knife Ban Bill 

For those who claim that we are paranoid, I present Hawaii Senate Bill 126. It was introduced by Democratic Senator Les Ihara and would ban the manufacturing, transfer, sale, possession or transportation of folding knives “suitable for carrying in the pocket.”

Being somewhat gracious, one might conclude that Senator Ihara is seriously misguided and the more widespread presumption by many in online forum posts is that he is an idiot. The reality is that he's just being a politician. Still, the fact remains that this is symptomatic of attacks on our knife rights of which we can expect to see more in coming years. You’re not paranoid if they really are trying to get you.

Report Title:

Dangerous Weapons; Pocket Knives; Sale

Description:

Prohibits sale of pocket knives.  Defines pocket knife.

THE SENATE

S.B. NO.

TWENTY-FIFTH LEGISLATURE, 2009

STATE OF HAWAII

A BILL FOR AN ACT

RELATING TO DANGEROUS WEAPONS.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1.  Chapter 134, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to part III to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

"§134‑    Pocket knives; sale prohibited; penalty.  Any person who knowingly manufactures, sells, transfers, possesses, or transports a pocket knife in the State shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

As used in this section:

"Pocket knife" means a knife with a blade that folds into the handle and which is suitable for carrying in the pocket."

SECTION 2.  Upon the effective date of this Act, no person shall import or manufacture pocket knives into the State for the purpose of selling or distributing pocket knives.

SECTION 3.  New statutory material is underscored.

SECTION 4.  This Act shall take effect on January 1, 2010.

INTRODUCED BY:

In fairness, it should be noted that this bill was introduced “by request,” meaning that it was at the request of a constituent, not a piece of legislation developed by the Senator. Many such bills, often of questionable value and support, are introduced every year in legislatures throughout the U.S. as a means to gain points and votes, often with little or no thought given by the legislator and knowing that they probably will not go very far. I contacted Sen. Ihara’s office and was told that the bill was introduced just as a courtesy for his constituent and that Sen. Ihara did not support the bill, nor do they expect it to reach the floor for a vote. I have emailed the Senator to get a personal statement of his position, but as of this evening had not yet received a response.

However, the Senator is under no obligation to submit radical legislation such as this and in my opinion it should never have seen the light of day. It is imperative that Senator Ihara understand that knife owners do not take such things lightly. The knife industry and knife owners are up in arms over this bill. Many of you have already emailed or called after notices were posted on various online forums. While this is not an organized grassroots response, it’s a beginning. You can find a mailing address and phone number at: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/senate/members/Sen9.asp

While it may feel good to launch into an invective-filled tirade, those don’t accomplish much. If you’re going to write, make a reasoned argument. We want him to know that the next time a constituent tries this; he should just say “no,” because that’s the right thing to do.

It’s not likely that such a radical bill as this would actually make it through the legislative process at the current time. However, we also cannot overlook the possibility that some future tragedy might occur that helps this bill or another one in a similar vein to garner popular support and traction in the media. A less radical proposal could be another story, especially given changing attitudes and political climate. How much of your rights would others not mind trampling upon?

Perhaps this bill will serve as a wake-up call for those who maintain it could never happen here. We must maintain our guard and gird ourselves for a continuing fight. It isn’t a question of “if,” it’s only a matter of when and where.

Senator Ihara Responds To Knife Rights       

Senator Ihara emailed the following response to our concerns about SB 126:

From: "Sen. Les Ihara, Jr." < senihara@Capitol.hawaii.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it >

To: Doug Ritter < dritter@KnifeRights.orgThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it >

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:23:12 -1000

Subject: RE: SB 126

Doug: I am opposed to SB 126 and would vote against it if I ever voted on it. Because the Hawaii constitution allows only legislators to introduce bills, my policy has been to introduce bills on behalf of my constituents whenever requested. But if I cannot support a constituent bill, I sign it "by request" which signals to other senators that I am not requesting a public hearing for it. I believe this is a common view of many in the legislature, except for the senate president who introduce all Executive and Judiciary Branch bills "by request" though she may support some of them.

In my 22 years in the Hawaii Legislature, I have signed many constituent bills "by request", but I may now reconsider this policy and possibly refuse to introduce a constituent's bill in extreme situations (such as SB 126). Thank you for your inquiry and for helping to inspire the several hundred emails I received opposing SB 126. I am encouraged for our democracy by seeing so many people interested in public policy issues.

Aloha,

LES IHARA, JR.

Hawaii State Senator, 9th District

Senate Majority Policy Leader

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/39409572.html

The Democrats insist on typifying their stereotype dont they.  :nono:  I wonder who's money he was taking for that piece of crap legislation? 

Can you imagine this one. Even your keyring SAK would land you in jail. Multi tools would also fall under this law.

That just makes me mad , soon we'll have to register our knives with the government and get a carry permit ! Then what'll be next kitchen knives , axes ???

Under that you won't be able to carry any type of pocket knife.  Not even your little keychain pocket SAK. There won't be a provision on personal carry by permit.

It has gotten so ridiculous with all these bills to ban this and ban that.

Yea Im having a hard time believing all this. What about Penny Knives? Cheap little blades, with wooden handles, really cheap to make but really cool? Illegal? WOW

Guest blacksmith

I can make them how are they going to get them all

Are fixed blades legal there? The whole thing sounds daft

With it being Hawaii...they grow pineapples....I would think machetes would be there somewhere. Maybe if someone starts attacking people using a yo-yo for a garot they'll outlaw string too.

Its the testing ground for this type of thing. It is just ridiculous and absurd. Along with putting more people out of work

This bill is for the carrying of folding knives or any knife that can be carried in your pocket. Next will be all fixed blades if this some how passes.

Guest smallgamehunter

the bills to ban stuff wont stop till guns ammo knives archery equipment and anything that they think pose a threat are gone

Guest smallgamehunter

i agree 100% with u there hillbilly the government is paranoid and i think with the skilled knife makers like we have on here i dont think they can ever truely ban all knifes

between the skilled  knife makers of this family and then the black market tey will never be 100% safe. we the people should not fear our governent the goverment should fear us the people

Guest smallgamehunter

very well said HB  and i would add fear us they do

Just remember folks, if you want to keep your rights you need to let your elected represenatives know how you feel.  Call, write, email, fax.  Don't be silent on the subject. It takes direct contact to get their attention.

~ How the heck will those Hawaiian Oyster Shuckers and Fishermen be able to do their job if they can't carry a pocket knife?  :P

No way that'll pass.  happy061.gif 

When I see silly stuff like that online, I think it's a smokescreen to keep our eyes, and attention off of something else. It's a diversion tactic.  :glare:

It's what's NOT in the headlines that we really need to worry about.  :ninja:  (just don't ask me what that is... it's not in the headlines.)  :unsure: