WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
taken by the wind...

1918 a forgotten history lesson

~ It is an oddity of history that the Plague of 1918 has been overlooked in the teaching of American history.

Most people have never heard of the greatest Pandemic plague in history ever to fall upon mankind. I find that interesting. cool14.gif

After all, if everyone learned about this in History class (like they learned about Christopher Columbus, and his three ships) they might not be as inclined to roll their eyes when somebody talks about Bird Flu.

I can't help but wonder... "Why do they (who write History books) want Americans to forget?" :unsure:

Why would they leave out of the History Books, an Influenza Pandemic that brought WWI to an end? Why would they not mention in Hsitory a virus that appeared to spawn from the trenches of War, and within weeks killed more people world-wide (soldiers included) than the war itself? Why would they have us forget a virus that targeted our healthiest citizens in the prime of life?

It was called the Spanish Flu. It did NOT come from Spain. The reason it was called the Spanish Flu, was because Spain was not in WWI, therefore their news reports were NOT being censored like the rest of the world's news. So they were the ONLY country reporting the flu worldwide, so it got the name "The Spanish Flu." (In Spain, they called it the French Flu.)   happy061.gif But The flu was everywhere. Research now indicates that the Spanish Flu originated in Asia... and simmered over there for a few years before making that fatal jump to humans.

In 1918, they didn't have a way to see viruses (They could see bacteria only), so they didn't have a clue WHAT they were dealing with. They just knew it was influenza because it acted like influenza at first.

For years, nobody knew why the Spanish Flu was so virulent. Now we know.

The Spanish Flu was a pure Avian flu virus that Shifted to the point where it could spread from human to human.

The 1918 Flu.... was Bird Flu.

In the United States, It began in the Spring (March) of 1918. Soldiers in Kansas started getting sick. They had a flu that lasted about three days, and then they'd start getting better. Several of those soldiers got sicker, and eventually died of pneumonia.

That was the first wave. (Those who catch the first wave, and live, have a better chance of surviving the 2nd and 3rd waves which historically are always more deadly.)

The first wave was fairly mild, and disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.

That Fall, however, it returned. The Virus had genetically drifted, and had became much more virulent and spread much wider. In some instances... it killed within hours. Nobody had seen anything like it.

" The epidemic killed, at a very, very conservative estimate, it killed 550,000 Americans in ten months, that's more Americans than died in combat in all the wars of this century, and the epidemic killed at least 30 million in the world and infected the majority of the human species.

As soon as the dying stopped, the forgetting began.

It is in the individual memory of a great many of us, but it's not in our collective memory. That, for me, is the, is the greatest mystery: how we could have forgotten anything so horrendous, so massively horrendous, as this, this epidemic which killed so many of us, killed us so fast and our reaction was to forget it."

DR. ALFRED CROSBY, author, "America's Forgotten Pandemic"

~ An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the 1918 Bird Flu pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war.

Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News). An estimated 43,000 servicemen mobilized for WWI died of influenza.

September 11th, 1918

~ America was untouchable...

Suffragettes demanded the vote for women.

Airmail service began zooming between New York and Chicago -- flying time: 10 hours, 5 minutes.

On September 11th, Babe Ruth led the Boston Red Sox to victory in the World Series.

But on that same day, on the sidewalks of Quincy, Massachusetts, three civilians dropped dead.

H1N1 (a killer Avian flu virus) had successfully jumped species and was out in the world.

it spread across the planet like wildfire. Before it was done, everyone would know somebody who had died of Influenza that year.

It killed more Americans in just a few weeks, than all of our wars in this century combined.

It killed more people in 25 weeks than AIDS has killed in 25 years.

It killed more people on this planet than all of the other plagues combined.

It targeted people age 20-40, and sometimes killed them in less than 24 hours.

And yet... most of us never learned this lesson in History.

Well THAT was 1918 for crying out loud! We're WAY more advanced now. That won't happen again. Will it?

Michael T. Osterholm, Ph.D., M.P.H. wrote an article in the New England Journal Of Medicine, stating exactly WHY we wouldn't be any better off today, than we were in 1918 in dealing with a Pandemic like 1918. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/352/18/1839

~ I'm not a Debbie Downer type person...  :P :whistle:

FAR from it. I'm an optimist.  :thumbup:

I don't dwell on the negative aspects of history, but I DO Try to learn from them, in attempt to survive what life throws at me.

I just find it higly interesting that the average person wouldn't have a clue that this ever happened. (Less than 100 years ago.)  8|

Ask the next person you talk to, what they know about the Spanish Flu.  :smoke:

I can't help but wonder...  are there some memories SO awful, and so bad that they must be stricken from our collective memory as a species even before the cord is cut?  :unsure:  NEVER to be talked about?  Never to be brought up again?  scared011.gif

In the Science of Survival....  is it better to forget, or is it worthwhile to remember?   cool14.gif

In the Science of Survival....  is it better to forget, or is it worthwhile to remember? 

Hummmmmmmm I cant remember.    :unsure:

Remembering is valid as long as there is information from past experiences to learn and therefore have methods of prevention and/or cure.

~ oh yeah? Well where is the validity in teaching generations about War?  We've been teaching our kids about every war we've been in for hundreds of years. How has that helped us to get along as a species?  :unsure: Have we learned to prevent WAR? Have we learned to CURE it?

It seems like The ONLY facts you men hang onto in history, are those that help you kill your fellow man more effectively the next time around.   sad042.gif

If we can ONLY study, and remember those things that help us to defeat each other better, then I would label us a species that cannot learn from it's own mistakes. An evolutionary failure to evolve. :nono:

So you are right. I ain't even talking about it anymore.  :P

Of course there are things to learn from the past. But if you can't kill it, and annihilate it, most aren't interested in learning anything about it.   :thumbdown:

Nobody in this country seems to care about anything anyway except what Angelina wore on the Red Carpet, or who was the worst or best dressed at the Oscars. Are we a dumbed-down bunch of folks on our way out, but just too stupid and arrogant to see it?   :unsure:

I'm sick of wasting my time trying to convey something that is as clear as day to me, to what feels like a bunch of folks who are lost in the trenches. Maybe this is what my Christian sisters feel like who are all the time trying to save my soul. They feel like I have blinders on, and  I feel like they have blinders on AND earplugs in.  :P And yet they still love me, and I have always loved them. They lift me up, and I lift them up, and before the sun rises, we can still always hold hands, join energy, and pray for the babies we care for every day. Because THAT is what women do...    we talk, we listen, and in the end, we just hold hands and accept each other for what we are.

If the Bible is true...  and women are merely the vessels that bring forth the sons, and history is played out as certain sons are favored, and the less favored sons become angry enough to kill their brothers out of spite... I can't help but wonder...

Where are all of the mothers and sisters?  :/

Sometimes survival is about listening to the stillness between your thoughts. I don't know what we can learn by looking back... 

My Mother just always trained me to keep my eye on it. In the words of Trooper Max (the ground squirrel  :P)

"Always keep one eye on the path ahead, one eye on the path behind, and both eyes on the sky."  When you're a ground squirrel, trouble can come from ANY direction.  :thumbup:

I feel things way before I see or hear them. I've always trusted what I feel over what I hear, or what I see.

I "feel" some people are tired of the bird flu topic. Don't think that I don't get tired of it too.  :nono:  I do.

I don't know what to do about it. I just know that to survive it, you have to be ready. Ready to isolate your family. You should have everything you need now, because there will be nothing once it starts.  :nono:

so... I'm tired of being the voice crying in the wilderness.  gen165.gif

When a tsunami approaches, some know instinctively to head for higher ground, while others can no longer hear the soft warning of their mother's voice.

That's because History has silenced her. Religion has duct taped her mouth shut. She can only whisper when the wind blows, or sing... when water falls.

She forever speaks to her children though. Her truths are woven through ancient nursery rhymes, and childhood games. To them, she is always alive, and always wonderful, and if they are lucky enough to know the sound of her voice, she will forever teach them the wisdom of her ways.  :arigato:

I'm outty.  :peace:

"Old Mother Goose,

when she wanted to wander,

would ride through the air

on a very fine Gander."

Mother Goose had a house,

'Twas built in a wood,

Where an owl at the door

For sentinel stood. 

currymurderfile002.jpg

sentinel: (noun) lookout: "a person employed to keep watch for some anticipated event."  cool14.gif

I hear you loud and  clear taken and your right.  it was only a couple of years ago when I found out about the flue of 1918 but I didn't know it was the bird flue. 

Guest blacksmith

taken I read you post on the bird flue I like to know so you have more then one fan well fan may not be right but please do not stop some of us know this is big and we have a lot going on up here sometimes with EMS that is but this is one I want to know about

~ LOL.... Ok then, Here's MORE Flu History... (I'm learning a lot in my research) THIS one will ASTOUND you.

THE GREAT EQUINE FLU OF 1872

Imagine today... a germ that could get inside of the Oil supply of the Nation, and render it useless, and you will begin to get a feel for the devistating effect that the great Equine Influenza of 1872 had on our country. 8|

Historians are perplexed as to how this event has also been left out of our Nation's Textbooks, as it was primarily the straw that broke the camel's back, and helped to usher in the Long Depression of 1870.

1870- The beginning of the "Guilded Age" in America. It was the rise of the SUPER WEALTH, the American Royal Families.

John. P. Morgan

Cornelius Vanderbuilt

Rockefellers,

Andrew Carnegy

They were the Rail Road Tycoons, Steel tycoons, Oil Tycoons, and Insurance tycoons (and several of them were tycoons of all of these up and coming industries.)

How did Horse Flu help these men achieve such an obscene wealth status?

more to come...

1871 The Chicago Fire:  John Pierpont Morgan is a family made millionaire of the House of Morgan family out of Boston Massachesettes. He resides in Chicago. He basically serves as the Central Bank of the U.S. before a central bank exists. He's into purchasing Railroads, and building them. He owns a steel company. His great grandfather, Insurance Magnate, Joseph Morgan, made a fortune in Boston with a family owned Fire Insurance company.

In 1871, Mrs. Oleary's crumpled-horned cow supposedly kicks over a lantern in a barn, and sets fire to the entire city of Chicago and surrounding area.

This is the first U.S. City lost during Peace Time. Of course, owning a steel company, J.P. Morgan made millions of dollars re-building the City of Chicago.  cool14.gif Unfortunately, the insurance claims are lost in the fire, and most people never get to collect. It was a scandalous event back in the day.

~ 1872 The Equine Flu hits Horses of America, and Boston Burns because of it:

In 1872, Horses powered the economy and the outbreak, which became known as the Great Epizootic, swept across the nation like wildfire.

Official estimates put the number of affected horses at between 80% and 99%.

Ports and transportation came to a standstill. Firemen were reduced to pulling their own fire tenders.

Locomotives also came to a halt as coal could not be delivered to power them.

The Horse flu started in Canada, and in 90 days had spread across the continent, leaving everything in its path in ruins.

In some areas up to 10% of horses were said to have died from the disease. Philadelphia reported the loss of 2500 horses.

Five days later it reported that 95% of all the horses in Rochester, New York, were affected. "Large quantities of freight are accumulating along the Erie Railway in Paterson, New Jersey. The disease is spreading rapidly in Bangor, Maine. All fire department horse in Providence, Rhode Island, are sick."

The news was no better the next day: "Alarming Effect upon the People, Total Suspension of Travel."

By November 1, the Times was discussing the likely cost of the epidemic.

"What will be the effect of even a temporary withdrawal of the horsepower from the nation, is a serious question to contemplate," its correspondent wrote. "Coal cannot be hauled from the mines to run locomotives, farmers cannot market their produce, boats cannot reach their destination on the canals ..."

"Imagine," he said, "a transportation disaster that within 90 days affected every aspect of American transportation, everything Americans took granted, everything that ensured their safety, every city, town and village where they lived and left everything in its path under siege."

One of the major casualties of the Great Epizootic was the city of Boston itself. A great fire (that started in the financial district, and let's not forget the House of Morgan Family is from Boston) swept through the industrial section on November 9, ultimately destroying 26 hectares of the city, comprising 776 buildings.

The area of the city had many wooden-roofed buildings storing flammable materials, and its water supply was notoriously bad, however, the property was greatly over-insured , so many business owners didn't take fire prevention seriously. 

Days before the outbreak the powerful horses used to pull the steam-driven pumps had been stricken by the flu.

The citizens of Boston had to be called upon to haul the pumps through the streets by hand, losing crucial time as the fire took hold in a warehouse holding cotton goods.

Of course Boston was rebuilt, and Steel Tycoon J.P. Morgan once again profitted from another U.S. city destroyed during Peace Time. Not only from the rebuilding of two major U.S. cities in two years, but from the fact that the Railroads that he had been trying to take over in the Sierra Nevada's finally went bankrupt from the effects of the Great Horse Flu (Horses could not  haul coal to the trains), and he was able to buy them up for a song. As a matter of fact, 89 U.S. railroads went bankrupt, and were quickly bought up by the Super Wealthy Royal Families of America. All because of some Horse flu.

By the way.... the horses didn't really have a horse flu. They had Avian (bird) Flu H7N7.  :smoke:

Guest blacksmith

wow that was not good

1873- 1876  The Super Rich Royal Elite of America... inherit this country 

18,000 businesses failed, Real Estate values fall, Corporate Profits Vanished (except for the profits of the Super Elite Wealth.) And, the LONG Depression begins.

As ordinary Americans suffered, the super rich used the crisis (some think they created the crisis) as an opportunity to buy up the rest of their struggling competitors. In the mean time, Andrew Carnegie, J.P. Morgan, the Rockefellers and the Vanderbilts build huge castles in Prestigious locations in America. (Biltmore Estates is one... that Holly and I visited.) they are filled to the brim with Museum pieces and art work and every sort of excess that anyone could imagine.  :glare:

The wealth of the country was in the hands of a few families, and the rest of the people were reduced to labor. The Middle Class was small, and shrinking. Life at the top was Royalty, and life at the bottom was a hard scramble. Our class structure consisted of the super rich, and the super poor.

I can't help but wonder, is History repeating itself?  :unsure:

So there you have it folks. A bit of Avian Flu History (that jumped to Horses), that changed our country. It ushered in a new age of steel highways, and steam engines that were soon replaced by Oil powered engines.

cool14.gif

At the time of his death on March 31, 1913 J.P. Morgan had an estate worth $80 million (today around $1.2 billion). Compared to his peers of the time, especially Rockefeller, it was not such a large estate. In fact, it was Rockefeller's comment at the time, "And to think he wasn't even a rich man." Yet, JP Morgan's power did not lie in the millions he had, it lay in the billions he controlled.

Guest blacksmith

wow wow you may be on to something

wow wow you may be on to something

~ I'm ALWAYS onto something blacksmith! :woot: :P :rofl: with MY imagination, and with MY writing abilities... I am always looking for the ultimate explanation. cool14.gif ( can't help myself.) I want my piece of the pie as well. :yes: :thumbsup:

I'm always looking for the bigger better twist to the tale. Men like J.P. Morgan get rich by thinking BIG.

So I always think BIG when I study men like that. Whenever crazy outlandish stuff happens to our country, I always ask myself three questions. "Who stands to gain the most from this event?" "who has the power to pull it off?" and "Who has the power to keep it covered up?"

and then, I just go from there. :smoke:

The sad thing is, when I start going from there... everything starts coming together... like a brick house falling back into it's own foundation, after an F-5.

I believe that Privilege has ruled for thousands of years. :thumbdown:

However, sometimes nature fights back by arming her chosen ones with a "privileged" intuition, and with the gift of communicating it. :arigato:

A planet out of balance... will use her calm assertive energy, and discipline to bring balance back unto herself.

Whoa Nellie!

~ Imagine a national disaster that stopped 99% of American transportation in its tracks; shut down the country; halted shipping and trade; hobbled counter-insurgency operations, and helped Boston burn down. It spread from Canada southward to Cuba and westward to the Pacific, crippling all that Americans took for granted: their cities and towns; their supplies of food and consumer goods; their jobs, businesses, and the national economy.

but it left the rest of the world untouched... (That's not how flu rolls, and I know how flu rolls.) :smoke:

~ Did John Pierpont Morgan know anything about Horses or Horse flu? :unsure:

To orchestrate something of THAT magnitude would require some kind of knowledge...

So I started by googling J.P. Morgan Horses.

And the Morgan horse came up.

ourhorsesfolie.gif

Turns out though... that J.P. Morgan was NOT "the" Morgan who invented the Morgan Horse. :nono:

The Morgan Horse was bred and developed by a fellow named Justin Morgan of West Springfiled Massachusetts. Little is said of him online.

Unless one knows how to search. cool14.gif

West Springfield struck a memory in my brain. Turns out that's where J.P. Morgan's Great Grandfather is from, AND his father.

So how has this elusive famous horse breeder named Justin Morgan grown up in the same town as the "House of Morgan" wealth without being related? :unsure:

One has to go back to the archives of history.

It turns out that the Insurance Magnate, Joseph Morgan, who married Sarah Spencer (of the Spencers of England) had a father who's name was Joseph Morgan Jr. HIS Dad, Joseph Morgan was Brother to Isaac Morgan who's son Justin Morgan became the wealthy, avid Horse Breeder, and inventor of the Morgan Horse Breed.

When it comes to wealth... it's all in the family.

:smoke:

does this prove that J.P. Morgan somehow used Horse flu to cripple the economy of the U.S. and allow him to multiply his assets by 1000 fold?

no....

But it's interesting to contemplate.

Guest blacksmith

yes I can see how bad that was and that you you got me thinking  :thumbsup:

Taken, I know this post is a little old and I'm a newbie but I just wanted to let you know that I share your questions about America's forgotten history. There is a great book about this called "The Great Influenza". Chilling chapters about mass burials in cities like Philadelphia where thousands were buried every day using steam shovels and bulldozers. The book touches on the doctors and the battle they fought trying to understand the illness. My grandfather was a doctor in WWI and was in the heart of the battle. He had seen first hand the thousands that died on the troop transport ships. They would be stacked on the fantail of the ships like wood. I don't know if its still true but only sailors could be buried at sea, so the soldiers that didn't survive the trip had to be stacked up until they could be buried in England or France.

I had recently read that they (the CDC I think?) were seeking out children that survived the epidemic of 1918. The few folks they found still kickin' were asked to donate blood with the hopes that a vaccination could be developed. They didn't actually refer to the great influenza of '18 as "bird flu" in the book, but they did make it chillingly clear that it wasn't beaten by medicine... it's still out there... somewhere. scared011.gif