WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

What is leadership?

"Contrary to popular thinking, the term "leadership" is a recent addition to the English language. In fact the word did not come into usage until the late 19th Century. Although the words "lead" and "leader" have a much longer history, they usually referred only to authority figures. The birth and evolution of the idea of "leaderSHIP" focuses on a much more complex concept that reaches beyond the single leader. In fact, contemporary definitions most often reject the idea that leadership revolves around the leader's ability, behaviors, styles or charisma. Today, scholars discuss the basic nature of leadership in terms of the "interaction" among the people involved in the process: both leaders and followers. Thus, leadership is not the work of a single person, rather it can be explained and defined as a "collaborative endeavor" among group members. Therefore, the essence of leadership is not the leader, but the relationship".

(Rost, 1993).

"Leadership is not magnetic personality — that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not "making friends and influencing people" — that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person's vision to high sights, the raising of a person's performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations."

Peter F. Drucker

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

General Dwight David Eisenhower

The above three quotations are the attempts of one renound modern researcher, and two great thinkers of our time to give explination to this often ellusive concept. If you were to Google the word "leadership" you would come up with a multitude of additional thoughts. Moreover, if you ask 150 people what "leadership" is you will likely get 150 different responses. Ask the same 150 people to define the qualities of a leader, and you will get an equally wide range of responses.

So, for the purposes of this forum, and focussing on wilderness leadership and the qualities required of a wilderness leader, I ask you two questions:

What is leadership?

And...

What qualities does a "good" leader exhibit?   

Leadership is getting others to work with you as one. 

A good leader should be a hard worker, diplomatic and a great listener.  Organized and caring.  There are many qualities that make a good leader.  They should lead my example.  Telling people what to do does not make you a leader (contrary to what bosses think).  A leader should be able to take everyone's opinion and ideas and then make the descision that will benefit the team. A good leader will see the end result, not just the here and now. Those are just some qualities. 

Leadership - I believe is an instinctual ability to understand others motives, attitudes, emotions, and abilities. Working with those traits in others for the betterment of the whole association, and allowing each individual to grow but not control.

Qualities of a Good Leader - Never assume anything.  Listen through an individuals expressions without interupting them.  Having empathy towards all.  Using wisdom and discernment in behalf of the good of all.  Being able to reach a goal before asking it of anyone else.  Pooling everyone's ideas for the best thoughts; a good leader does not know it all.  And truly important to me is the willingness to make a sacrifice for the good of the majority.

In a wilderness leader, that individual needs training enough to qualify for what he/she asks of others.  The learning process never ends. AND slow learning is not poor learning. 

Guest adrenjunky

Being a "Leader" to me takes a that "it" quality. I don't think it matters in what line the person is in. People have to want to follow them. 

Guest Lead Dog

People show leadership traits when adversity strikes and they are still able to maintain control and achieve goals by combining the efforts of others with their own.

George Washington did not earn his reputation as a great leader during the French & Indian War because of his military prowess.  He was able to organize a retreat of British and colonial troops and save lives by doing so.  His actions and efforts under extreme stress saved the day.

To me leadership is like Gen. Eisenhower said even more so in allowing them to explore new ways while still guiding them. It also requires complete devotion and focus on and event to the exclusion of most everything else around them. After a while it is almost all consuming that why as part of leadership also is the ability to involve and train/guide your successor, knowing when to let the reigns go. 

I think leadership represents a person of unmatched courage and principles - that can set an example that others WISH to follow. It is not what we see in Mel Gibson movies - a person who can come up with cool speeches that reach simple men hearts, but a person that leads by example. All great leaders were people that would throw themselves in battle first, and the soldiers would follow, were people that stayed with the simple soldiers and eat what they eat and do what they do.

They are examples of bravery and diplomatic skills, not speech writers :)

Leadership is the act of many people, that with like mind and heart, strive to make things better for the whole.  It invites the qualities of all involved, because otherwise, it becomes the agenda of a chosen few and generally will not have the people as a whole in mind, when the decisions are made.

Guest taken by the wind...

I believe true leaders are born that way. They motivate by example. They believe they are there to serve those whom they lead. They don't ask others to do what they are not willing to do themselves... they do not exist in upper management to a large extent anymore, because their values prohibit them from becoming heartless, and uncaring, and they cannot tolerate the hypocracy of the system. I believe true leaders are a dying breed. That they are being silenced in our schools, and put on ritalin to calm them, and to make them conform. They are being told to be quiet! To sit down! They are daydreaming in schools about running free, and being boys, and playing and climbing trees. They are being taught to become regurgitators of knowledge, instead of learning to ask their own questions, and to seek their own answers... I believe they are being stamped out, by a world that see's them as a threat. But I believe they will survive. :thumbup: I believe a true leader isn't afraid to say the truth, because they know in their hearts if one person says it, others may see it. If one person has the courage to take a step toward something unknown... others will follow. A true leader has courage. Others recognize it, and THAT is what they follow.

My favorite image of a true leader is in the movie Gladiator... when the general and his men are riding into that battle at the beginning of the movie. He knows they are afraid, but he is in the middle of the line, riding beside them... and the whole time their horses are charging into battle, you hear his voice yelling out "Stay with me! Hold the line! STAY WITH ME!" I always remembered that scene, because the enemy looked so intimidating, you wondered how men so willingly charge into battle, knowing that they might die. What kind of men do men follow into that situation? There you will find your leaders.

Taken, what you've written is so true.  I have met very few people whom I would "follow into battle" like that.  It seems like our heroes and our leaders have been beaten down by the various "activists" groups.  Their every thought and every word are questioned, ridiculed, and taken to court.  Our society basically castrates our true leaders.  And yet, they still hold their ground without fear.  That courage, along with the respect they have earned because of their beliefs and their adherence to those beliefs, is what makes me want to follow them. 

Guest taken by the wind...

~ " Leadership is a combination of strategy and character. If you must be without one, be without the strategy."

-Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

" A professional soldier understands that war means killing people, war means maiming people, war means families left without fathers and mothers. All you have to do is hold your first dying soldier in your arms, and have that terribly futile feeling that his life is flowing out and you can't do anything about it. Then you understand the horror of war. Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar. And still, there are things worth fighting for."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other 999 follow women."

Groucho Marx

:rofl: :rofl:

" I admire men of character and I judge character not by how men deal with their superiors, but mostly how they deal with their subordinates. And that, to me, is where you find out what the character of a man is."    :thumbup:

That's simple...

A leader is one who "leads by example" and someone "who would never expect someone to do something they couldn't do themselves.

Theres some memories in this thread. Some good some sad. Few are gone, one cant come back and Bobimbob is gone forever.Thats the way of forums and the written word that stay as long as cyber space allows. Even in death on these pages their words remain like a ghost from the past. The ghosts of forum past. In the end who will be the caretaker of these words and why?

Sorry some times it just hits me. I had no idea that when when I bought this web site that I would be part of some thing like this. We have lost a few over the years that have passed on and left their mark on these pages. The names and faces of those who have passed here and left their tracks are many.

I think Ill go sit by the camp fire and stare into the fire and think about that. Some things have no explanation, they just are.

In this sweet madness, oh this glorious sadness

That brings me to my knees.

I can relate to how you feel, but in a little different way...I deal with this almost everyday and just about every night, but I bet it's tough at times especially seeing what they contributed carry on.  Their memories may bring tears to our eyes, but those memories should also bring a smile.  The important thing is those memories will keep them alive inside of us.

I've been taking orders my entire adult life. Sometimes the people giving those orders are leaders others are just messengers. You can spot the difference pretty quickly. The first thing I see in a leader is their willingness to do the job that has to be done. They know they can't do it alone but it has to be done and they along with you and others will see it through. They also call upon their people to use their experience to assure success in the mission,it's not about seeing if their idea will work,accomplishing the mission is all that matters. I know someone is a leader and trust them when I know my life and the lives of all his people mean as much to him as his own. He may not be able to guarantee your going to live through this but they are not willing to spend people needlessly. And lastly they back you up. You do your job as best you can and they will be there to challenge anyone who has a problem with that. I have had the good fortune to have quite a few good leaders to follow.