WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Squirrel

Bonfire vs Multiple Fires.

I am currently reading a book by S. M. Stirling called Dies The Fire.  It's about a modern world were there is a event that causes all electrical and mechanical things to stop.  Like a giant emp pulse.  Anyway.  To keep from freezing to death one of the main characters said to build several small fires rather than one huge fire to get the people dry after they all came out of a freezing river.  I thought this was very interesting  It says you can't get close enough to a huge fire to get the full benefits.  What do you guys think? :hmm:  Big fire or multiple small fires? happy070.gif

Smart Indian build small fire keep warm.

Dumb Indian build big fire freeze to death

So....building one small fire would work. Building multiple small fires would be better (front/back heating if you stand between two fires). Building one big fire bad I guess for reasons that escape me. If you needed a big fire you could always throw more wood on smaller fire. If you start with one small fire and desire another fire, at least you have one fire going, while considering other fires. I guess I would leave it up to the situation, and in the meantime, practice making one fire for when I need it.

I thought it was

Indian build small fire, sit close, be warm.

Dumb white man build big fire, sit far away, die.

Oh well...

~SK

While yes heat does radiate the majority of the heat from a fire rises straight up. If your fire is so big you cannot be above it at all then most of the heat...and therefore fuel... is being wasted. People inside a circle of fires will be warmer than a circle of people around a fire.

Guest smallgamehunter

either way make sure u got some fatwood it puts out some massive amounts of heat when it burns

Guest blacksmith

yeah we are going to get some just have to wait till the snow is gone we have pine in the bogs and you can get fatwood from the pine

So it would actually be better to start with a pit dug into the ground, vs a "bigger fire"?

A pit is better in a lot of ways.

I feal one well built small fire is better than a large one. expeshaly if you also  build a heat defector..... a small fire will use less fule and there for be able to burn longer if your in a large group then build 2 small and rotate people between infront of the fire and gzthering supplys

I never really considered the multi fire vs the bonfire before.  The multi fire totally makes sense to me.  Especially if you are with a large group of people.  It's definitely something I'm going to keep iny little book of knowledge in my brain. :arigato:

I never really considered the multi fire vs the bonfire before.  The multi fire totally makes sense to me.  Especially if you are with a large group of people.  It's definitely something I'm going to keep iny little book of knowledge in my brain. :arigato:

Agreed, it warrants keeping in mind.  If nothing else it will be interesting to test it out.

I've been experimenting the last year or so, (while camping) with building a fire "ring", all around me, with about 4 - 5' of distance between me and the fire. I lay logs all around before i turn in, and as they burn away i'm surrounded by heat all night, and end up being extremely warm (not to mention VERY WELL protected from animals....).

Hi all,

I have never had to make more than one fire, I think that building more than one would deffinetly help with getting more heat to you.  I have taken coals from my fire and put then in

old tin cans and put them behind me though with some green wood in there to it smolders and make smoke and that will help keep the mostiqtos abt bay.  I  tell ya with today temps having a couple of fires sure sound good to me though.  We woke up to -11 degrees this morning  BURRR  lol

Bush man 5 good Idea.  Do you have any pics of that set up by chance you could post?  I am going to have to try this double fire.  In the next few days just to see what I think of it.

Bryan

I ment to say on my last post.  If you do the double or more fires doing them in the upside down fire set up I think would be a good way to start them and be able to maintain them too.

Having more fires means getting more wood and if you do not have to mess with your first fire or two it migh be easyer to collect and get more wood.  Just a thought?

Bryan

I agree with Dave on this. With multiple people in a fuel rich area the multiple fire scenario sounds good for some applications. However alone or even in a pair it sounds like a lot of wasted energy. I'd much rather devote some of that energy and wood to a shelter and wind brake. That wood would only have to be gathered and placed once and would make a single fire more efficient by holding the heat.

A couple of small fires placed around you is far better than one fire but you have consider the energy expenditure of collecting extra fuel that you may need. I would use two fires if coming out of a freezing river.

I often camp in winter with 3 - 6 small fires all around me, evenly spaced with gaps in between. sleep in the center of the fire ring and you stay nice and warm, and bears dont feel the need to sniff yer ***  . Kep of course is setting the fires with lots of large firewood before you turn in, so it burns all night. In the AM, rake the coals, put on the billy tin and brew java.

So true, but doesn't it go...Indian build small fire and sit close, while white man build big fire and freeze?

I can see two fires if needing to dry out, but for the most part an average sized fire and a natural reflector like a large rock or an up turned tree like this will also work.  You also have a place to hang clothes.

A lot of people forget how much heat is taken away by even the smallest of breezes.  :yes:  This is a good reminder to look for some type of "reflector" if possible. 

I was just reading in Les's book Survive that a bigger fire is best it is hotter and takes a lot more rain and snow to put it out and a big fire takes alot les work to maintain just add big logs every once and awhile  happy070.gif