WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bigblue

Bump.... Bruce Bump

Im guessing the green in the pin is an emerald. .45 caliber that should be interesting to fire. Im guessing a lot of fire out of the end of that barrel.  :o  That must take years to master that kind of art work on that blade. Silver and a gold anchor etching all by hand. Way beyond my hammer and chisel.  :D

That must take years to master that kind of art work on that blade. 

Swede =- The "art work on the blade" is actually in the blade. The pattern is obtained through the process of forging damascus steel. Mr. Bump forges his own damascus from a variety of steel compositions which are then shaped into a blade and finally etched in an acid bath. The acid eats away the softer grades of steel leaving proud the harder grades. The blade is then lightly polished to reveal the contrasting pattern of hard and soft streel. This particular blade was created by a very involved process known as pattern welding where the varied steels are combined in a precise pattern, then forged, folded, cut, welded, etc, to acheive a desired patterning effect. He truely is one of the masters of this science/art.

This is the incredible work of Mattias Styrefors/Jonny Walker Neison known as "mosaic" damascus or sometimes "damascene" for obvious reason:

http://www.svenskkniv.se/jwnknives/jnBlad/jnBlad.php?lan=_en

Wow! What intricate work! I like the "nautical" theme to this particular piece. For the obvious "cannon" style barrel and the gold inlaid anchor on one side and the compass rose on the other. It looks like a "merlion" on the handle and on the hammer too. You can see large statues of these mythical creatures (if that is what its supposed to be) standing at the headwalls of the main harbor entrance in Singapore. I've been known to lurk around Orchard street on a number of occasions in my Navy years!

I've been known to lurk around Orchard street on a number of occasions in my Navy years!

Been there.....done that! I still have a custom tailored leather jacket and a whole lot of fine, yet foggy, memories from Orchard Street.

How gorgeous!  What a treat it is just to look at these!  I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to actually own one! :hugegrin:

He's at it again.....

"This one I got smart on and had the 3/4" thick frame water-jet cut. It had to be that thick for the .36 caliber barrel to screw into, besides that I milled a ton of material off both sides and hollowed it out for the mechanisms. Its a slip joint feather pattern damascus blade with pre-ban ivory. At this moment it is being engraved by Jere Davidson.

It is going to France eventually and I need a French name for it. Any suggestions?"

100_2703_edited.jpg

100_2965_edited-1.jpg

100_2966_edited.jpg