WildSurvive Forum
Rockhounder

Paranoia? Conspiracy? Or just good marketing?

What I'm talking about here is the recent commotion in the gun industry. Has anyone recently been to a sporting good store that sells guns or a gun store? Have you looked on the walls and seen empty cases and empty displays? I'm not in the market for guns, I have way too many as it is, but what I do go shopping for is ammunition and ammo re-loading supplies. THere is a 2 month back order on rifle/pistol primers. There is no gun powder on the shelves and the store doesn't know when the next shipment will be. Bullets are available, but they are almost the same price as buying the fully loaded round, but those rounds aren't on the shelves.

It seems to me (and this is completely MY opinion) that the US Government is tired of going through the motions of trying to ban the guns themselves. Everytime they do, a plethora of special interest groups defy it. As they rightly should. I for one am passionately protective of our 2nd amendment rights. I also believe that if a government is big enough to give you what you need, they are also powerful enough to take away everything you have. So my feelings here are that with this new administration, they (the gov't) are switching tactics. They are relaxing their efforts on the whole ideal of "banning" guns. And while we gun owners and buyers are relaxing a bit with an enthusiastic sigh of relief, the gov't NOW is trying (and being extremely effective) to reduce the amount of ammunition available to the market. There idea is; Sure, you can have all the guns you want, but you can't have any ammo for them.

My theory has been recently confirmed with the latest news from the firearm industry. Georgia Arms is one of the largest ammunition manufacturers in the country. They have been buying used ammo cases or "brass" from the military for many years. They clean and re-use this commodity and resell the product in the open market. However, the Department of Defense just came up with a new policy. They won't sell this spent brass anymore in it's "used" condition, or a condition that allows it to be re-used efficiently, instead now, this brass is to be shredded for scrap, rendering it completely unusable to the US manufacturers that have used this product as thier main source of business. This scrap would then need to be sold (likely to China) to smelt the brass and manufacture unloaded casings, which would then be bought by companies like Georgia Arms. I can't believe this idiocracy is occuring at this time of our current economic instablility. WTF are they thinking?

Read this and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm usually not one to make a rukus or cry "conspiracy", but I think we're on the precipice of the decline of the Western civilization as we know it. Unless we stand up now lest we live on our knees....

"I would rather die on my feet, than live a lifetime on my knees..."

-E. Zapata

http://www.theshootist.net/2009/03/dod-ends-sale-of-expended-military.html

Rocky I didn't read your link instead I'm going to research the internet and possibly call ammunition manufacturers to see what the story is. There has been a run on ammunition unprecedented by concerns that tougher legislation on gun ownership by the Oboma administration and liberals will push more gun legislation. I simply think with the drain on resources because of two wars and a run on the public supplies has created a shortage.

Some of my friends have been buying ammunition in lots of a thousand because of these concerns. Ill check and get back to ya.

I called Remington ammunition and talked to the man directly. He states they are working over time trying to keep up with demand. He has heard all the conspiracy theories floating around the internet and he posts on different forums the actual truths of the matter. He has agreed to come to our web site and post his information. Be on the lookout for a representative from Remington arms to apply for membership today or tomorrow.

He states that people are simply buying ammunition faster than they can produce it. 

Well, that's why I added the "Good Marketing" in the thread title. Since we (the public) aren't aware of the "behind the scenes" info, how do we know the ammo industry is not spinning the hype to increase sales? I'll be looking out for that blog and the new membership.

Good work Swede. How about a call to Hornady?

The guy from Remington states that the shortage is effecting all manufacturers.Go ahead and call if you like.

Guest smallgamehunter

i think with the economy the way it is and the steel industry the way it is  it really shouldnt be a shocker that there is a shortage

Hey guys,

We are cranking ammo out as fast as our machines will run, 24/7.  It just seems everyone is buying in bulk instead of a box here and there as they used to.  We aren't cutting anything back or holding back any product, nor is there any massive buy up by the government.  When will it slow down? Who knows, but right now our industry is like we have never seen it before.

Kris

I see you found us thank you very much for that information and thank you for a report from "The Man"  :thumbup:

Guest smallgamehunter

swede as u may kow i live not far from olin brass makers of winchester ammo and them guys are cranking out ammo like theres no tomorrow as well my neighbor works for them and he was sayin they workin 12 hr days 6 days a week

Well there ya go Oboma is creating jobs all over the place even if its through the back door.  :hugegrin:

So if I was "paranoid", I would assume Swede is posing as "Kris", in order to calm nerves, or beef up his ratings.  :err:

However, given the amount of talent on this forum, majority of which having a positive approach to solving problems, and the fact what "Kris" says makes total sense to me, I will give Swede the benefit of the doubt.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Swede for taking that extra step and contacting Kris, and.......

Thank you Kris for recognizing the fact a lot of your customers are going to be on forums such as this seeking answers to questions, and solutions to problems, with a positive outlook on the future, instead of dwelling in the murky paranoia: "the government is out to get me", as an example. Also........

Thank you Rockhounder for starting this thread, I still haven't taken that step yet myself. It was a very quick way to solve a problem that some people may be having.

I for one was a little suspicious, thinking maybe the war was taking all the ammunition. Because where I live there is a tobacco shortage, it has been listed as "restricted". There is a rumor that the military are short and taking all the supplies from retail to meet the needs of the soldiers. I say its a good time to quit smoking.

You know, removing ammunition from the shelves, and THEN removing tobacco from the shelves would be a smart move, instead of other way around........ :whistle:

Nope Im pleased to announce Kris IS from Remington and works in the ammunition part of Remington and has graciously agreed to come and help us sort it out.

Guys,

I'll try to post from time to time when I get a chance.  I do visit other forums as well and try to answer any ammo related questions. 

A little background on me, I am a P.E. registered mechanical engineer and a ballistics engineer here at the ammo plant, so I get to play with alot of guns  :naughty:

I also handle all of the product issues, worldwide.

If any of you are going to the NRA show in Pheonix,  I will be at the Remington booth for the show.  Stop by.

Kris

Hey guys,

We are cranking ammo out as fast as our machines will run, 24/7.  It just seems everyone is buying in bulk instead of a box here and there as they used to.  We aren't cutting anything back or holding back any product, nor is there any massive buy up by the government.  When will it slow down? Who knows, but right now our industry is like we have never seen it before.

Kris

Thanks for the input Kris. I completely agree with what you are saying. Even mom & pop reloaders that frequent the local gun show circuit here have been selling out in minutes, not hours.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the drive behind the massive stockpiling, however, since this is a public forum I understand if you feel the need to reserve your opinion.

Maybe in a year or two there'll be a huge "off loading" of these panic buyers that'll show up at garage sales or internet bidding sites that allow ammo to be purchased/sold.

Since I reload most of my stuff, it's even hard to get reloading supplies! Well, at least shot shells are still fairly inexpensive. I'd hate to give up my time at the skeet range!

Thanks Swede!

A little background on me, I am a P.E. registered mechanical engineer and a ballistics engineer here at the ammo plant, so I get to play with alot of guns  :naughty:

YEAH! Another nerdy gun lover! (I'm a civil P.E.) Hmmmm, maybe we should develop a kevlar pencil pocket protector! :)

It'd be great to see you here from time to time Kris. Welcome aboard!

Rocky

A little background on me, I am a P.E. registered mechanical engineer and a ballistics engineer here at the ammo plant, so I get to play with alot of guns    :naughty:

WOW how do you get a job like that?  :woot:

aaronak - As smart and nice as Swede is, and much as he my want to pose as a "P.E. registered mechanical engineer and a ballistics engineer", even he can't write as elequently and consicely as Kris has here. That's a sure tip-off!! I can vouch for the fact that "Kris" is indeed, the real deal.

That must be a night class in adult studies.

Hey, can you now call the National Center for Disease Control, maybe we can get a doctor to post to Taken's Bird Flu thread. Get on it will ya!

aaronak - As smart and nice as Swede is, and much as he my want to pose as a "P.E. registered mechanical engineer and a ballistics engineer", even he can't write as elequently and consicely as Kris has here. That's a sure tip-off!! I can vouch for the fact that "Kris" is indeed, the real deal.

Uh thats eloquently and concisely there Blue.  :hugegrin:

I'm still perusing my "Female anatomy in Braille" studies.   :yes:

Umm Swede, that's not exactly an "exclusive" position, unless you're married, but even then still no guarantee (Im from Alaska).  :whistle:

And yes, Bigblue, there was some hidden truth to my post. I do get paranoid, very easily at times. As a result I look for proof. I guess we could look at Kris's grammar/English composition as an indicator of his achievements over the years. You do a lot of paperwork Kris?

I dont put a lot of stock into these Forums, but Swede you do an excellent job of it, and once again, I thank you. I never would have thought you would contact an individual with the credentials Kris has, and actually get them to post on here, but I totally see why he would do so.

Yer doing a good job Swede, now no more, Im going back to lurking.  B)

I'd be interested in your opinion of the drive behind the massive stockpiling, however, since this is a public forum I understand if you feel the need to reserve your opinion.

Well...I won't blame a man in Kris' position if he declines to answer this. However...if you look at actions taken by a previous Democratic administration you may see plenty of motivation for many to stockpile ammo.

For some it is born of the fear of not being able to buy ammo in the near future. For others it is born of the thought that they will be able to sell what they are buying today for huge profits in the near future.

Simple logic in my opinion, it is simply fear and greed...the two greatest motivators the world has ever known.