WildSurvive Forum
Tatonka

Tornado Information

This is a topic that is missing in this area. So here is some useful info on this subject. More tornadoes happen during the day but more people are killed by them at night. If you live in areas prone to violent storms you should have a emergency weather radio which should be on 24/7. They can be set to alert you during severe weather bulletins. And heed the warnings when given. Because tornadoes can strike at anytime and anywhere.

http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/tornadoes.shtm

http://www.noaawatch.gov/themes/severe.php

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/brochures/tornado.shtml

http://www.smithgear.com/weather-devices-weather-radios.html

Excellent post, Tatonka!  This is the time of year for tornadoes.  And you are right, they can strike anywhere, even in places that do not have a history of tornadoes.  :yes:

~ Thanks Tatonka... great info.  :thumbup:

I live in a high risk area, and I don't have one of those alert systems ONLY because I live right down the road from one of the many VERY LOUD severe weather sirens that are set up in my town. That thing would even wake Holly up in the middle of the night.  :whistle:

If I didn't live near a Siren, I'd certainly get a severe weather alert system though.  :yes:

I have a sixth sense about tornados. I think a lot of people do. Even if it's night time, you can just feel something different in the air. Maybe it's the barametric pressure drop or something. One night, my son and I walked outside, and I just "felt it". It wasn't raining, it was just dark. I looked at him and said "listen"...  complete silence. No frogs, nothing. I asked him if he could feel something in the air. And he said "Yes!"  a few minutes later the sirens went off. He has never forgotten that lesson!  :arigato:

My Intuition has always been several minutes ahead of the Sirens.  :smoke:

The worst tornados we've had were not preceded by rain, or hail, or lightning. Just an ominous silence/stillness and dark greenish grey clouds moving really fast (even though there is no wind on the ground) .

I believe it's a primal knowledge that all of us have about storms. Any one of you would just "know" something's coming, even if it was dark, and you couldn't see the sky at all.

I guess that's why more people are killed at night when they are asleep.

I'm thinking of getting one of those alert systems for when I travel though. Anybody who travels to High Risk areas should have one.  :thumbup:

The Native Americans lived in this country for 12 to 15 thousand years before we came and caught them trespassing must have had a sever panic when storms started building. Where could they hide?    scared011.gif

I cannot tell people how important it is to heed the warnings enough. And everyone should have a weather alert radio in their home. Night time while you sleep you may not hear those sirens go off where you will hear the warning screech of the radio if its in your room while you sleep.

Here is a video to watch. Its eerie.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nk8zH1JVJI

Either a tornado or a down draft hit Sunday in the area of Kim's (a friend) office. about half a mile from my house. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow I didn't know about it till I ran into her at the grocery store tonight. She lost just two trees and got some wind damage to her office but there were trees across the road and downed power lines in the road in each direction, and she had to walk the three miles home. There were trees down all over the property across the street.This is part of an article from our local paper.....

"In Tennessee, reports of tornadoes and funnel clouds stretched from Dunlap, up Walden’s Ridge to the Sequatchie/Hamilton county line, and paths of splintered trees gouged Hamilton County in Sale Creek as well as Calhoun in McMinn County.

The Good Friday storms were part of an angry red radar line that shoved it’s way eastward across the Southeast throughout Friday afternoon and evening, killing a woman and her 9-week-old infant and injuring at least 41 others near Murphreesboro, Tenn.

The winds lifted homes, ripped off roofs, toppled trees and powerlines and cut electricity to tens of thousands throughout the region. Although Chattanooga dodged much of the wind damage, airport rain gauges measured almost an inch of rain — 0.88 of an inch, a record for the date, said Jerry Getz, a senior meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Morristown, Tenn. EPB officials on Friday said linemen were working to restore power to 25,000 customers in the Chattanooga area, most in the northern part of Hamilton County.

Mr. Getz said Southeast Tennessee weather surveys today will assess reports of tornadic activity from Dunlap, up Walden’s Ridge to the Sequatchie/Hamilton county line, as well as damage in Hamilton County’s Sale Creek and McMinn County’s Calhoun, Tenn."

The F5 "Parkersburg Tornado" that hit here last year passed about 4-5 miles just north of my house.  I am a NWS weather spotter and was out trying to find it.  I got to within about 3 miles of it, but it was completely wrapped in a curtain of rain and could not be seen from a distance.  The clouds along the edge of the storm were showing rotation as well so I was not getting any closer.

The devastation is still evident today and will be for years.  Yes, Parkersburg got hit, but the track on the ground was 43 miles and the funnel on the ground when it passed close to me was right at 1.25 miles wide. There is a place where it crossed over a river and the timber in the area (large old oak trees) was tied in knots.

I agree that everyone should have a weather radio.  I got a new one this year that can have specific counties programmed in and the alert sounds if a warning is issued for any of those counties.  A definite upgrade.

That is the coolest video, Taken!  :thumbsup:

I still have my tornado dreams about twice a year.  In some of my dreams, I am looking out at the horizon and I can see five or six tornadoes off in the distance.  I have no idea why I dream about tornadoes so often.  :unsure:

That is the coolest video, Taken!  :thumbsup:

I still have my tornado dreams about twice a year.  In some of my dreams, I am looking out at the horizon and I can see five or six tornadoes off in the distance.  I have no idea why I dream about tornadoes so often.  :unsure:

~ I used to have them too, Holly. They are symbolic of emotional turmoil, and crisis. Do they ever actually hit you?  :smoke:

If they do, do you survive them?  :unsure: Is your child or husband with you? Are you the one in the dream who knows what to do? Are you leading people? Or are you scared and hiding? All of these factors come into play in the interpretation of tornado dreams.  :thumbup:

I used to see multiple tornados as well. On the horizon.... there was always more than one heading my way, and I was always leading people out of danger.

It used to bother me, until I realized that's just how mother nature speaks to me.

Sometimes I'm a soft drizzle...

and sometimes I am taken by the wind... 

either way, I've always been a storm.

Finally, after many years, they ended.

Then.... came the Tsunami dreams.  8|  I'm working my way through the elements.  :nono:

Tsunami dreams!   :o

~ yeah.... they're worse than the tornado dreams. They started about four months before that big Tsunami hit in Asia... so I don't know if they were a premonition or another version of the tornado dream... (I'm thinking NOT a premonition since I never go to Asia.) LOL!

anyhow.... I am always on a beach, and the water rapidly recedes, and I just "know".  I try to tell people to leave the beach and to run (and I do) but they never do.

I am always in a far away or high up place and I see this huge wave coming down on so many people. It's the new disaster dream I have now. I haven't had it in a while though...   :unsure:

~ the comforting thing about my elemental dreams whether they be cyclones or Tsunamis, is that I am always "aware"  of a danger, when others are not.

I am always trying to help people. I feel scared, and in danger, but in control at the same time. It's weird.

Now that you've told me about it, you'll probably have it again!  :grin:

In my tornado dreams, I'm usually with other people I know, like family members or friends.  In some dreams, I am outside and can see the tornadoes in the distance while we're driving.  In other dreams, the tornadoes have hit our town and we're out in the streets, digging through rubble to find survivors.  But in all of them, I am very calm and not panicking at all.  In some dreams, I've had to find a low place to lay in as the tornado passes over the house or building I'm in.  Once, I dreamed I was driving down a highway and my car broke down and I had to lay in a ditch next to the highway as the tornado came across the field.

The dreams are so real, they stay with me for a few days after I've had them. 

~ Nature always teaches, with a constant ebb and flow. Everything is cyclic. She tries to show us that from the time we are children (with day and night) and then as we grow.... with the seasons of the year, and even as we get older with other cycles that never seem to end.

it's no wonder that she speaks to me with storms and waves. Both come and go and come again.

Wind never got to me, but water terrifies me. (I'm a good swimmer). It always has. Ever since I was a little Owl. :unsure:

Your dreams are telling you to keep your calm...

Because a storm is coming. :thumbup:

I had a dream one time that I was eating a giant marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone.  :scared:

~ Nature always teaches, with a constant ebb and flow. Everything is cyclic. She tries to show us that from the time we are children (with day and night) and then as we grow.... with the seasons of the year, and even as we get older with other cycles that never seem to end.

it's no wonder that she speaks to me with storms and waves. Both come and go and come again.

Wind never got to me, but water terrifies me. (I'm a good swimmer). It always has. Ever since I was a little Owl.  :unsure:

Your dreams are telling you to keep your calm...

Because a storm is coming.  :thumbup:

A storm is ALWAYS coming! :yes:

You can also get FREE severe weather alerts to your e mail and mobile phone from the weather channel , i have this on my phone and it will alert you about severe weather, daily forcast or what ever you choose . The severe weather alerts are actually a few minutes faster than the emergency broadcast system too . Here's the link

https://registration.weather.com/ursa/alerts/step1?initAlerts=SVR

Thanks, Tsegura.  A lot of the local stations here also offer that service, but charge for it.

Getting to be that time of the year again.

I have to ask this and I will explain why.  Does your local authority test your Warning Sirens much?  I moved here back in 2001 from the UK and having lived next door to a school that still used it's old Air Raid warning siren (WWII vintage) as a "bell" I was used to the sound.  However I had noticed the lack of testing in recent times.  Why?  Most of the sirens don't work anymore and they aren't getting them fixed.  Personally think this is completely stupid.  However in these days of mass electronics most alerts come to directly to devices and yes it can be quicker.  That only works though if the cell network is still operational.  Or it'll take something happening to make the local government people get off their behinds and get the warning systems fixed.

~ for as long as I have lived here, our warning systems are tested Every single Saturday at 12:00 noon. And there are many different warning stations in town. They have them at the Fire Departments. So one is always within earshot.  :thumbup:  (I often wondered what will happen if a tornado ever hit our town at 12:00 noon on a saturday though....  :unsure:  So far, it's never happened.  :hugegrin:  They go through every "Sound" they make, including the PA... talking part. It takes a full LONG minute to go thru the test... After a while, you just get used to it.  :rofl: