WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Footwear

Guest Lead Dog

I use my leather hikers for everything from hiking to paddling to hunting for upland birds to mushing.

Guest adrenjunky

What ever the season calls for.

waders

upland boots

insulated boots late season

hiking boots (elk and big game)

Whenever I am hunting I wear combat boots.  Not the most comforatable for all day walking, but they are rugged.

My favorite are Chippewa's. Mine are now over 10 years old, and I am only starting to think about replacing them. They are very comfortable in any season. If not my Chips then I like my L.L. Bean Slip on mocs.

I have owned a lot of different brands, some really really exspensive.(Merrel, Hi-Tec, Asolo, North Face, Timberland) The Chippewa's beat them all in comfort, sure footedness (is that a word?), wear.

Chips.jpg.70d39146f1b390ad42af76994a9e77f9.jpg

Hard soled boots do not, a great bowhunter make.  I do wear vibram soled hikers when roving, hog and small game hunting, but when deer hunting, I wear moccasins or other soft soled footwear.  There are area's where the mocs won't do.  To many rocks, etc., so I wear a pair of the old, well........we called them desert boots.  Cut above the ankle, thin leather and soft soles for stealth.  Lots of thunderstorms and heavy rains during deer season in the Sierra mtns., so I also carry a light pair of rubber boots.

Recently treading the mountainsides of West Virginia I found the rocky terrain hard on the feet, but in order to get about in places the animals would be in greatest numbers I wore sheep/sherling moccasins without socks.  Best footwear I ever owned.  Feet stayed warm and dry all day.  Not the best for very wet and soggy areas, but traction and sure-footed beyond your wildest dreams.

Day to day I wear hikers (the ones I have on now are from Wal Mart, for $9.88!!!!  Comfy and so far, durable!).  My other pair of hikers are an old pair of Rocky chukkas I've had for a loooong time. 

I have a pair of Matterhorns for extremely deep snow or extreme cold (800 GRAMS OF GORE TEX, BABY!). 

My other pair of boots is an old pair of Red Wing work boots I bought for $99.00 back in......umm....well, I guess they're older than SK, GJ or SurviorDan!  :woot:  Man, they sure are comfortable though!  They've been hunting, hiking, and of course used around the old homeplace.  If I could I would find the very same style and buy a couple more pairs.

The Wal Mart $9.88 hikers finally have holes in the arch area of the boots' rubber soles.  Otherwise, they held up pretty well for a $10 boot.  Nothing I'd want to depend on in the deep boonies, but I never planned on doing that anyway.

for hiking long distances in the terrain i have here, ROCK, i wear hiking boots, they have the  support but for camping or other short distances i prefer these.  botach_1986_61378271