WildSurvive Forum

I expected someone to post about this but I really did not expect it would be you though Swede!

Its times like this that I wished I listened to all the crack pots out there and stockpiled antibiotics and anti radiation tablets from eBay as advised by one forum here in the UK. It is time for me to start wearing face masks and gloves and carry sanitizing solution to stray everything I am about to touch. Mexico is a long way from the UK but this is going to go pandemic because of air travel so i'm acting now according to the internet scaremongers.

On a serious note this is one to be watched IMO. This has potential for possibly getting out of hand unlike bird flu that all the sycophantic nutters would have us believe.

The following is the article I just read. It says the new Flu is a mix of Swine, Avian, and Human Flu....can this occur naturally?

Taken, you got any input on this?

Deadly new flu strain erupts in Mexico, U.S.

By Alistair Bell and Noel Randewich, Reuters

1 hour ago

MEXICO CITY — A strain of flu never seen before has killed up to 60 people in Mexico and has also appeared in the United States, where eight people were infected but recovered, health officials said on Friday.

Mexico's government said at least 20 people have died of the disease in central Mexico and that it may also have been responsible for 40 other deaths.

Mexico reported more than 1,000 suspected cases and four possible cases were also seen in Mexicali, right on the border with California.

The World Health Organization said tests showed the virus from 12 of the Mexican patients was the same genetically as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas.

"Our concern has grown as of yesterday," U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acting director Dr. Richard Besser told reporters in a telephone briefing.

Global health officials were not ready to declare a pandemic -- a global epidemic of a new and deadly disease such as flu. "So far there has not been any change in the pandemic threat level," Besser said.

But the human-to-human spread of the new virus raised fears of a major outbreak and Mexico's government canceled classes for millions of children in its sprawling capital city and surrounding areas. All large public events like concerts were suspended in Mexico City.

Close analysis showed the disease is a never-before-seen mixture of swine, human and avian viruses, according to the CDC.

Most of the Mexican dead were aged between 25 and 45, a Mexican health official said, in a worrying sign. Seasonal flu can be more deadly among the very young and the very old but a hallmark of pandemics is that they affect healthy young adults.

Mexico has enough antiviral drugs to combat the outbreak for the moment, Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said.

The WHO said the virus appears to be susceptible to Roche AG's flu drug Tamiflu, also known as oseltamivir, but not to older flu drugs such as amantadine.

"In the last 20 hours, fewer serious cases of this disease and fewer deaths have been reported," Cordova told reporters.

Humans can occasionally catch swine flu from pigs but rarely have they been known to pass it on to other people.

NO CONTAINMENT

The CDC's Besser said it was probably too late to contain this outbreak. "There are things that we see that suggest that containment is not very likely," he said. Once it has spread beyond a limited geographical area it would be difficult to control.

But there is no reason to avoid Mexico, CDC and the WHO said. "CDC is not recommending any additional recommendations for travelers to California, Texas and Mexico," Besser said.

Worldwide, seasonal flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people in an average year, but the flu season for North America should have been winding down.

The U.S. government said it was closely following the new cases. "The White House is taking the situation seriously and monitoring for any new developments. The president has been fully briefed," an administration official said.

Mexico's government cautioned people not to shake hands or kiss when greeting or to share food, glasses or cutlery for fear of infection. Flu virus can be spread on the hands, and handwashing is one of the most important ways to prevent its spread.

The outbreak jolted residents of the Mexican capital, one of the world's biggest cities with 20 million residents.

One pharmacy ran out of surgical face masks after selling 300 in a day.

"We're frightened because they say it's not exactly flu, it's another kind of virus and we're not vaccinated," said Angeles Rivera, 34, a federal government worker who fetched her son from a public kindergarten that was closing.

The virus is an influenza A virus, carrying the designation H1N1. It contains DNA from avian, swine and human viruses, including elements from European and Asian swine viruses, the CDC has said.

The CDC is already working on a vaccine.

Scientists were working to understand why there are so many deaths in Mexico when the infections in the United States seem mild, Besser said.

The CDC said it will issue daily updates at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm.

The last flu pandemic was in 1968 when "Hong Kong" flu killed about a million people globally.

(Additional reporting by Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva and Maggie Fox in Washington)

© 2009 Thomson Reuters

Does it not seem odd to everyone else that this thing is a mix of 2 Swine Flu strains, 1 Avian Flu strain, and 1 Human Flu strain? I find this very intriguing and am waiting to hear more about it.....and watching it too.

Just somthing else to think about... 

Swine flu worse in Mexico than US, but why?

By MIKE STOBBE – 46 minutes ago

ATLANTA (AP) — Why has the swine flu engulfing Mexico been deadly there, but not in the United States?

Nearly all those who died in Mexico were between 20 and 40 years old, and they died of severe pneumonia from a flu-like illness believed caused by a unique swine flu virus.

The 11 U.S. victims cover a wider age range, as young as 9 to over 50. All those people either recovered or are recovering; at least two were hospitalized.

"So far we have been quite fortunate," said Dr. Anne Schuchat of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Saturday, just hours before three new U.S. cases were confirmed.

Health experts worry about a flu that kills healthy young adults — a hallmark of the worst global flu epidemics. Deaths from most ordinary flu outbreaks occur among the very young and very old.

Why the two countries are experiencing the illness differently is puzzling public health experts, who say they frankly just don't know.

It may be that the bug only seems more deadly in Mexico.

And while experts believe Mexico is the epicenter of the outbreak, they're not certain if new cases are occurring or if the situation is getting worse. They also don't know if another virus might be circulating in Mexico that could be compounding the problem.

A big question is, Just how deadly is the virus in Mexico?

The seasonal flu tends to kill just a fraction of 1 percent of those infected.

In Mexico, about 70 deaths out of roughly 1,000 cases represents a fatality rate of about 7 percent. The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-19, which killed an estimated 40 million worldwide, had a fatality rate of about 2.5 percent.

The Mexican rate sounds terrifying. But it's possible that far more than 1,000 people have been infected with the virus and that many had few if any symptoms, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, a prominent pandemic expert at the University of Minnesota.

U.S. health officials echoed him.

"In Mexico, they were looking for severe diseases and they found some. They may not have been looking as widely for the milder cases," said Schuchat of the CDC.

The U.S. health agency sent two investigators to Mexico on Saturday to help, she said.

Currently, even the counted illnesses are problematic. Only a fraction have been lab confirmed. Severe penumonia-like illness happens all the time, so it's challenging to figure out which ones are really tied to the outbreak, U.S. health officials said.

"These numbers need to be confirmed," said Dr. Richard Wenzel, the immediate past president of the International Society for Infectious Diseases.

Other ideas about the difference include:

_Genetic analysis of virus samples in the two countries is continuing. The CDC says tests results show the U.S. and Mexican viruses are essentially the same, but some experts have not ruled out the possibility that the virus is changing as it leaks across the border to the north.

_Perhaps nutrition levels are worse in some Mexican communities — poor nutrition can degrade a person's immune defenses, and make them more susceptible to illness.

_Air quality in Mexico City is considered terrible. That too may have affect patients confronted with a novel respiratory disease.

_Access to medical care has been an issue in Asia, where a rare bird flu — which does not spread easily from person-to-person — has killed more than 200 over the last several years. Maybe Mexican patients have also had trouble getting medical care or antiviral drugs, some have speculated — even though the government provides health care.

All that is speculation at this point.

"The question of why the virus appears to be more virulent in Mexico is one that we are looking intensively into," the CDC's Schuchat said. "Rather than speculate, it's important for the science to lead us on this."

~ Sorry I haven't posted yet! :whistle: I've been working late Friday & today and we've been super busy.

I've been researching this event all day at work. I've had a lot of people at work asking me about it. :glare: (the same ones who make fun of my bird flu obsession.) And Adi... just remember It's ALL Bird flu :P

I've read a lot of stuff.... and I'll post what I have learned in a bit. (A behind the scenes look) from a Science point of view.

To answer Mistwalker... do I think it's weird that it's a mix of Avian / human / swine ? No. Not at all. It's Influenza "A" H1N1 Swine flu...

Remember that ALL Influenza A viruses originate from birds. That's what the "A" stands for, "Avian".

ALL flu viruses came from Ducks.... many many thousands of years ago. Pigs caught flu from ducks, Horses caught flu from Ducks, and people caught flu from Pigs and Ducks (when we decided to farm them.)

So every influenza A virus is going to have Avian properties to it. So this is an avian flu that adapted itself to Swine, and then has jumped to people, and has shifted to be able to pass from human to human. Pigs and People are very similar, and flu's can readily recombine in Swine to infect people. It's happened often in history. Swine are often seen as a melting pot of influenza viruses. So it may have been in people, in swine, and back to people again.

Either way, this is a big event.

In the words of the experts "we've never seen anything like it." It's not H1N1 swine flu.... it's not H1N1 Human flu... it's a brand new version of H1N1. That means NOBODY has immunity. There is no vaccine, and if it spreads everybody will be vulnerable.

I have to eat. I'll post more in a bit. :wave:

~ I'm a history buff. And this flu is similar to the 1918 pandemic that occured 91 years ago.

1918 influenza virus was an H1N1 strain that either jumped species from birds to people, or from birds to swine to people. Nobody had immunity.

It came in waves...

The first wave hit in the Spring of 1918

The second wave hit in the Fall of 1918. October being the deadliest month for the United States.

A milder wave hit later that Winter...  and then it vanished, or genetically shifted into all of the milder influenza strains we know of today.  :arigato:

I can't help but ask myself  "Is history repeating itself?"  Is Mother Nature giving those who choose not to ignore her cyclic nature, a premonition? Is this virus going to come in waves like those in the past have done?  Is this a warning to get ready? It's weird to have a flu virus this late in the year.

I'm going to take this as a warning.  I'm not going to freak out. Or preach fear. Survivors don't roll that way. I'm going to stay alert...   make sure I have enough "stuff" to keep myself and my family in a lock-down for at least a month in the event of a worse case scenario...  and just do what comes natural to each and every one of you.  Stay away from crowds, remain vigilant, and use your common sense. Killer flu bugs have one weakness.... they burn out fast.

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.  :thumbup:

I would focus on staying healthy rather than stockpiling drugs that may not work. ISOLATION being the key. And hell, all you Survivormen should be experts at staying away from people. You guys live in the woods as it is.

If this turns out to be benign, then we've still learned a thing or two.

I have to work in the morning. Good night to all of you.

~ for good information on flu viruses, I don't rely on the media or news websites that much. I like Recombinomics website. They're the experts on viral evolution. Flu viruses do not "mutate" as much as they recombine, and exchange pieces of genetic material everytime they meet. That's a way more efficient process than mutation.

http://www.recombinomics.com/whats_new.html

~ Looks like it's in New York, and Kansas too. The prep school kids are coming up strongly positive.  :nono:

The kids in California were diagnosed because of a fluke. California has influenza screening clinics (because they are close to Asia.) They do more in depth testing for flu viruses. The kids were not that sick, and their families who had the same virus didn't even go to a doctor. If those kids had gone to a regular clinic the test would've come up + for influenza A virus, and it would be assumed that it was the regular seasonal flu. So... there may be virulent more dangerous strains of Swine flu on the loose, and milder strains that go undetected.

The kids in NY, however, are sick. They are exhibiting more severe symptoms (From what I've read) than the sporadic cases in California. The kids at the Prep. school all got sick simultaneously, and over a hundred were sent home. That's not a mild illness. They had severe aches and pains... dizziness, sore throat, high fever, vomiting and diarrhea.

Those symptoms are identical to what Mexico City is reporting. The doctors in Mexico City say the symptoms are brutal. With body aches and leg aches so severe it's almost paralyzing.  8|

I just hope that somebody is smart enough to give them all some Tamilfu. FAST.  cool14.gif

Well this story is growing and is definitely one to be watched but the nutters and crackpots are having a real field day.

All the bird flu sycophantics around the world are jumping on this one justifying there stance.

I am really getting fed up with people scare mongering about Influenza A virus subtype H1N1, these people crack on about 1918 flu outbreak but they are being very selective to pick the worst cases, what they don’t tell you is that H1N1 causes around 30/50% of flu outbreaks each year.

Bird flu, swine flu, human or seasonal flu are all strains of Influenza A.

The way you can tell if someone is a bird flu scaremonger and not someone that knows what they are talking about is quite simple. The A in Influenza A does not stand for Avian, people that say otherwise are crackpots and should be ignored. Yes it is true all viruses causing influenza in birds are species of influenza A. But note “they cause influenza in birds” and do not exclusively come from birds.

There are three species of influenza

Influenza A infects birds and some mammals and are the most virulent human pathogens among the three influenza types and cause the most severe disease.

Influenza B infects humans and seals and mutates at a rate 2–3 times lower than type A.

Influenza C infects humans and pigs and is rear and evolves slower than type B.

I am not a fan of people that jump on a subject and promote it as the next EOTWS. These people in my mind are dangerous they often hide behind some loosely related qualification or professional experience that in reality has no connection what so ever. With medical issues there is often people  like nurses, midwives, porters and even cleaners, for example, that have no real understanding of the scientific facts yet trawl medical literature and select  the most sensational stores and highlight the most shocking facts yet ignore the positives and then read between the lines and post unfounded conclusions and miss information.

These people are promoting fear and panic with their miss information and are dangeriouse and complete charlatans. If they are doing this using some professional mask such as being a nurse then they need to be struck off for breaking professional conduct, nurses and the like have rules about being sympathetic, none judgmental and not miss informing people, only giving true facts, moderating their opinions and not promoting fear.

Would you take advice about heart surgery from a first aider? They have a loosely related qualification, knowledge and experience! No you would not: And, he would be operating outside of his ability and would be liable in a court of law. That is the same as a paediatric nurse, orthopaedic nurse or hospital cleaner commenting on flu epidemics.

This outbreak is a little worrying and is taking up more and more news time so it needs to be watched. But, a survival forum like ours does not want to be caught up scaremongering and causing panic.

Lets be positive and promote good practice, give good reliable advise and not jump to conclusions with this outbreak.

Guest blacksmith

wow I think I am staying on the boat

Ok this is what i published on my website yesterday as people are looking for reliable advise. I will post it here to show i am not just trying to slag people off but i hoped someone would take a proactive stance and posted some helpful information.

Mexican Flu Outbreak – Surviving a Flu Pandemic – Flu Facts

With the outbreak of flu in Mexico and reports of suspected outbreaks in the US, New Zealand and the UK. There is more and more news space, column inches and band width being dedicated to this story. Understandably with all the coverage words like epidemic and pandemic are being used, which fills some people with fear and panic.

At this time the flu in Mexico is only an outbreak but it does have the potential of going pandemic. At this time there is nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on the news to see if this outbreak develops further.

What Is Pandemic Flu

A pandemic occurs when a new influenza virus, which people have no immunity to, emerges and starts spreading as easily as normal influenza. So a pandemic can only start when three conditions have been met:

1. a new influenza virus subtype emerges;

2. it infects humans, causing serious illness;

3. it spreads easily and sustainably among humans.

The Signs and Symptoms Of Flu

The signs and symptoms of pandemic flu will be similar to those of seasonal flu, but they may be more severe and cause more serious complications.

The most significant symptoms are the sudden onset of:

Fever

Cough or shortness of breath

With other symptoms which may include:

Headache

Tiredness

Chills

Aching muscles

Sore throat

Runny nose

Sneezing

Loss of appetite

How Flu Is Caught and Spread

The incubation time from contact with virus and the onset of the symptoms ranges from one and four days but for most people its two to three days.

The infectious period, the time you are infectious to others is five to seven days.

It is likely that pandemic flu will spread from person to person by close contact. The same as flu is spread.

Vaporised droplets from coughing and/or sneezing by an infected person within a short distance of someone usually less than 1 meter.

Touching or shaking the hand of an infected person and then touching your mouth, eyes or nose without first washing your hands.

Touching surfaces or objects that have become contaminated with the flu virus and then touching your mouth, eyes or nose without first washing your hands.

What Should You Do If Think You Have Symptoms of Flu

Stay at home (self-isolate).

Rest.

Take Paracetamol or ibuprofen will lower your temperature, and ease aches and pains.

Have lots to drink to prevent dehydration (low body fluid).

If pandemic follow instructions issued by the authorities on the media services.

Do not go to work until you are fully recovered.

How to Protect Yourself from Flu

Use a tissue to cover their nose and mouth when coughing and/or sneezing, dispose of the tissue promptly in domestic waste and then wash their hands.

Do not use cloth handkerchiefs or reuse tissues. This practice carries a risk of contaminating pockets or handbags which may then recontaminate hands every time they go into those pockets or handbags.

Clean their hands frequently, especially after coughing, sneezing and using tissues. Soap and water is a perfectly effective means of cleaning hands; however, handrubs (microbicidal handrubs, particularly alcohol-based) can be used as an alternative.

Individuals should minimise touching of the mouth, eyes and/or nose.

Use household detergent and water to clean surfaces frequently touched by hands.

Individuals should clean their hands as soon as they get to work and when they arrive home.

Stay away from large crowed and try to avoid getting with in one meter of others.

Consider using a face mask if you cant avoid someone you suspect or has flu or if you cant avoid large groups.

If using face masks, use and dispose of as directed by the authorities instructions.

You better hope and pray you dont come down with it Adi youll never live it down.  :woot:

Swede there is nothing to live down if you have read any of my posts you will realise i am trying to promote sensible debate and good advice for what is possibly the beginning of something big. and, that i am dispelling some of the rubbish that some people are posting on the net.

I am trying to encourage sensible and ethical advice to people that are looking for helpful information.

The only good thing to come from bird flu H5N1 is the fact that the world is better prepared for a pandemic than anytime in history.

The line gets blurred at times as to what is sensationalism and fear mongering....and what is a sensible approach to to dealing with the current threat whatever it may be.

Good post Adi, I gain knowledge from you and taken both. It's the ones shout "stock up and run to the hills" that kill me. If everyone that can actually afford to just stocks up and runs the economy will falter even more than it already has because those are the people who still have jobs.

I appreciate your post Mist but the sensible approach is informing people how to recognise flu symptoms and how to best avoid cross contamination with practical hygiene tips.

In 72 hours we will see how far this flu outbreak has spread. Then it will be down to individual countries to control their own outbreaks. If there are only a couple tens of thousand cases in each country then there is no worry, its just a flu outbreak but if it goes epidemic in each country or most of them then its going to be very serious. Time will tell.

I for one am stepping up my person hygiene now as a proactive defence against flu.

Well this seems to be the real deal. Watching the reports carefully, reminding the kids about washing their hands, etc.

To keep our members informed about potential hazards is the goal of our urban knowledge section. Urban is where we spend the bulk of our time and we need to be alert just as much as when we are in the wildnerness.

From the information Taken and Adi post is where each of us, if we chose to, can try to avoid or survive any risks. THAT is the goal. Each can chose his own course of action we merely inform.

Theres a fine line between informing and scare mongering. What the media does Im afraid is sensationalism (I cant believe I spelled that right).

so should I be scared because last nite on Coast to Coast this guy was talking about the swine flue, and it scared me should I be scared or just cosious. :/

just be cautious, good rigours hygiene i.e. lots of hand washing and not touching your face, picking your nose or sucking your thumb is the way forward to protect from any viruses, germs or infections.

Well this story is growing and is definitely one to be watched but the nutters and crackpots are having a real field day.

All the bird flu sycophantics around the world are jumping on this one justifying there stance.

I am really getting fed up with people scare mongering about Influenza A virus subtype H1N1, these people crack on about 1918 flu outbreak but they are being very selective to pick the worst cases, what they don’t tell you is that H1N1 causes around 30/50% of flu outbreaks each year.

Bird flu, swine flu, human or seasonal flu are all strains of Influenza A.

The way you can tell if someone is a bird flu scaremonger and not someone that knows what they are talking about is quite simple. The A in Influenza A does not stand for Avian, people that say otherwise are crackpots and should be ignored. Yes it is true all viruses causing influenza in birds are species of influenza A. But note “they cause influenza in birds” and do not exclusively come from birds. There are three species of influenza

Influenza A infects birds and some mammals and are the most virulent human pathogens among the three influenza types and cause the most severe disease.

Influenza B infects humans and seals and mutates at a rate 2–3 times lower than type A.

Influenza C infects humans and pigs and is rear and evolves slower than type B.

I am not a fan of people that jump on a subject and promote it as the next EOTWS. These people in my mind are dangerous they often hide behind some loosely related qualification or professional experience that in reality has no connection what so ever. With medical issues there is often people  like nurses, midwives, porters and even cleaners, for example, that have no real understanding of the scientific facts yet trawl medical literature and select  the most sensational stores and highlight the most shocking facts yet ignore the positives and then read between the lines and post unfounded conclusions and miss information.

These people are promoting fear and panic with their miss information and are dangeriouse and complete charlatans. If they are doing this using some professional mask such as being a nurse then they need to be struck off for breaking professional conduct, nurses and the like have rules about being sympathetic, none judgmental and not miss informing people, only giving true facts, moderating their opinions and not promoting fear.

Would you take advice about heart surgery from a first aider? They have a loosely related qualification, knowledge and experience! No you would not: And, he would be operating outside of his ability and would be liable in a court of law. That is the same as a paediatric nurse, orthopaedic nurse or hospital cleaner commenting on flu epidemics.

This outbreak is a little worrying and is taking up more and more news time so it needs to be watched. But, a survival forum like ours does not want to be caught up scaremongering and causing panic.

Lets be positive and promote good practice, give good reliable advise and not jump to conclusions with this outbreak.

~ This is the only part of your overly hostile response to me that I am going to address. Because you are calling me a Crackpot, and a "Bird Flu sycophantic" (but I can't find "sycophantic" in a dictionary.) It appears to be a punk rock band. I don't want anybody thinking I'm in a punk rock Bird Flu band.  :unsure:

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you think of me, But I DO care about my reputation for not posting Bullsh*t.

The FACT is --- you are wrong. You said that Influenza A "causes viruses in birds, but they do not exclusively come from birds."

"Wild birds are the natural host for ALL known subtypes of influenza A viruses."

Influenza type A viruses can infect people, birds, pigs, horses, and some other mammals, but WILD BIRDS are the natural hosts of these viruses.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/flu-viruses.htm  '>http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/flu-viruses.htm  

All influenza A viruses have their origin in Wild Birds. Usually water fowl.

That is why I jokingly say "it's all bird flu".  I'm not implying that every influenza A virus is some kind of deadly bird flu. I'm just reminding us that every seasonal influenza A virus that goes around had its origins in birds. I'm not trying to invoke fear. I am only trying to invoke an awareness.

I think if we're mindful of where all influenza type A originates, then maybe people will understand that any bird flu should be a concern to humans when it learns how to jump species here and there---especially when it kills people the few times it does jump. If that makes me a crackpot in your eyes, then I guess I'll just be a crackpot in your eyes.  :peace:

For the record... the "A" in Influenza type "A"  stands for the letter "A".  There are three types. A,B,C. that's a no-brainer.

However, from Highschool science class, on up through higer level Microbiology classes in college, my Science instructors have always told us the easiest way to remember the Origin of the three types of influenza is just to remember "A" for Avian. Because all of the type A influenza subtypes have their origins in wild birds. I guess to a first grader "A" could stand for Apple. It's just the way a lot of people in Microbiology learned to remember it.  So, "A" stands for nothing but the first group of influenza viruses to ever be discovered. The fact that they are all avian in origin helped students like me to remember that FACT.

Sorry if in your mind that serves as some secret sign that I am a "bird flu scaremonger".   :unsure:  It's just how me and how a lot of my collegues learned our viruses. It's not prudent to use that tip anymore because people like Adi, freak out and go hostile when anyone says the word "Avian" next to the word influenza. That's not fearmongering. that's just ignorance.

Either way....  the fact remains  "Wild birds are the natural host for ALL known subtypes of influenza A viruses."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/flu-viruses.htm   <------ my source for this fact.

I just wanted to clear up that one misunderstanding.  :thumbup:

If you want to know the sources of anything I post just ask me. I try not to post hot-headed "Rubbish".

Well the US has 40 confirmed cases of the Swine Flu at this point. They are recommending that people not travel to Mexico at this time if they don't have to.