When he flew through the flue

Where flew the fly to flee?

Whence fly the three

Through the true and the blue

Where free flew the three

Friday froo?

--- Pogo Possum 1953

Name's a tad long... but catchy.

I think he saw my post new name (by request) and thought he was supposed to think of a new name. I guess.  :unsure:

That was a poem spoken by Pogo Possum 67 years ago... It was a wonderful comic strip.  Doggone poem stuck in my head alla these years.

Now YOU are stuck with it! 

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Too long for a flu name, though...

That was a poem spoken by Pogo Possum 67 years ago... It was a wonderful comic strip.  Doggone poem stuck in my head alla these years.

Now YOU are stuck with it!  

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Too long for a flu name, though...

Pogo cartoonist Walt Kelly actually showed up in newspapers in 1913. He combined humor with political and human interaction with swamp animals in the Okefenokee swamp.

The character of Howland Owl the swamp's self-appointed leading authority on everything was one of my favorites but I was just a kid when it appeared in the news papers and comic books. I missed a lot of Kellys tongue in cheek humor at the time.

Then the character of Miz Beaver: a no-nonsense, corncob pipe-smoking washerwoman. Basically it compares with Takens " The owl and the pond" thread.

How high fly the flea

When he flew through the flue

Where flew the fly to flee?

Whence fly the three

Through the true and the blue

Where free flew the three

Friday froo?

--- Pogo Possum 1953

Name's a tad long... but catchy.

Am I missing the connection between this and 2009 H1N1?

Pogo cartoonist Walt Kelly actually showed up in newspapers in 1913. He combined humor with political and human interaction with swamp animals in the Okefenokee swamp.

The character of Howland Owl the swamp's self-appointed leading authority on everything was one of my favorites but I was just a kid when it appeared in the news papers and comic books. I missed a lot of Kellys tongue in cheek humor at the time.

Then the character of Miz Beaver: a no-nonsense, corncob pipe-smoking washerwoman. Basically it compares with Takens " The owl and the pond" thread.

Swede,

Bro... Walt Kelly was BORN in 1913. 

He was tres kewl, but not so precocious as to be published the minnit he got borned. :)

The comic strip Pogo was done from 1948 to 1971.

Swede,

Bro... Walt Kelly was BORN in 1913.  

He was tres kewl, but not so precocious as to be published the minnit he got borned. :)

The comic strip Pogo was done from 1948 to 1971.

Oh hell I thought he started right after he was born.  oops.gif

people are telling me to get a flue shot but I don't want to because I don't know what is in there

~ Don't get it if you have reservations about it. This season's flu shot pretty much missed the mark not only on 2009 H1N1 but also on seasonal H3N2 as well. Both of these viruses have drifted and instead of updating the vaccine, they opted to just use what they had left over from a year ago (For financial reasons no doubt). There is documented vaccine failure from the Southern Hemisphere's flu season, which just ended, (and we're using the same flu shot they used). It did NOT guard against the 2009 H1N1 with D225G mutation (and that's the one associated with so many deaths). In my opinion, this years flu shot is shooting blanks.  :thumbdown:  No vaccination is free of risks....  when you weigh the risks against the advantages this year...  the only option is to pass this one up.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/10211001/H1N1_Vaccine_Failure_2010.html

"The failure to identify a new vaccine target for 2010/2011 once again demonstrates a failure to predict or act upon the inevitable drift, and this failure remains hazardous to the world’s health."

~ Well, to make matters more complicated than ever... :whistle:

the CDC recently reported two new human cases of a yet another Novel Triple Reassortant Influenza Virus trH3N2 (NOT to be confused with our seasonal human H3N2). Apparently, just like Pandemic 2009 H1N1, this virus ALSO shares Human,Swine,and Avian genes. The problem with this virus, is that the H3 and the N2 are Human, so it will show up on a type test as Human H3N2 (No doctor's offices "type test" past type A-influenza) So nobody can really tell anybody what kind of flu virus they have without sending samples off. The virus would have to be sequenced to know if it is the "new" triple reassortant H3N2.  :blink:

It has an Avian PB2 gene (just like 2009 H1N1) so it may be difficult to detect with the rapid flu test kiit used by doctors. Last year the rapid flu test failed greater than 50% of the time in detecting 2009 H1N1. Our critical patients were not diagnosed until we sent samples off for PCR testing which usually took three days.

Here's what's interesting about all this, within the last few months we've seen some sporadic clusters of what they reported as H3N2 in Japan (causing several deaths). Also we've had some late Summer outbreaks of H3N2 in Texas (which is unseasonal for our regular H3N2 flu). Now they're wondering if these reported outbreaks were indeed this new triple reassortant H3N2, and it just went undetected because extensive sequencing was not done.  :unsure:

All I know, is that when the CDC reported these two new cases over the last two weeks...  all the world was abuzz (in virology land).

Here's the Cluster reported in Japan:

H3N2 Kills Six In Hospital in Akita Japan

Recombinomics Commentary 16:04

November 6, 2010

Six people have died in a group influenza infection at a hospital in Akita Prefecture, while more than 30 others, including inpatients and staff members at the medical facility, are being treated for infection, the prefectural government said Saturday.

(Was this regular seasonal H3N2 influenza? Or was it the trH3N2 ?)

We're all in trouble soon. Up here we have outbreaks of the flu quite often. Makes you wonder what strain it could be.

~ wow... here's an interesting bit of information that just came up:

trH3N2 Matches For All Five Patients Signal Pandemic

Recombinomics Commentary 01:40

November 18, 2010

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11181001/trH3N2_Match_Pandemic.html

Recombinomics pretty much called the last Pandemic three months before the World Health Organization declared it. They are the most quoted experts on influenza virus adaptation (recombination) on the world wide web. For them to suggest that a new Pandemic is underway, and flying beneath our radar (When the last Pandemic has just recently been declared over) is very bold.  :unsure:

~ I never have quit being a virus nerd. It just brought so much flack on this website that I decided it wasn't worth it. I'm a regular on Some Virolgoy Websites (totally nerdy places nowhere near as fun as this place) and VERY violent.  I'm telling you, that survival websites can't hold a candle to the violence and fights that go on on the virus websites on the web!  :woot: :rofl:  I just hide in the corners and post about stuff I observe where I work. NOBODY in health care frequents these places and I have found that the micro-world gurus find it fascinating to hear about the clinical presentations that confirm their suspicions in their world of microbiology/virology.

I'm known as Littlebird on those websites...  I've been quoted all over this world. I was also quoted on some Jeff Rense conspiracy Radio show.  :rofl:  So never think that I'm not still a virology nerd... I SO am, but I just take that topic to a more appropriate website where the Virologists hang. One thing I've learned is that the world of virology is HIGHLY political. Especially Influenza.

I don't even know what language this is:

Inläggsrubrik: Re: Svininfluensaviruset reinkarnation av spanska sjukan?

Postat: ons 07 apr 2010, 11:02  

Nu kommer information från folk som jobbar inom vården i USA. Signaturen Littlebird på forumet Rhiza Labs Flu Tracker Forum ger - visserligen anekdotisk insyn, trots det lyssnansvärd sådan. Läs denna tråd, speciellt sidorna 2 och 3.

http://fluboard.rhizalabs.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=5147

Nedan några citat:

Citera:

I worked with a friend of mine today, who also works at a large hospital in Atlanta, he said they've also seen some extremely sick patients mean age of around 30ish. He said they had one patient recently who came into the E.R. and had a small pneumonia by x-ray just in the upper lobe of one lung, and they sent him home on antibiotics (flu test negative). Then, the VERY next day, the same person came BACK into the E.R. and had a total white-out of both lungs by X-ray... (The pneumonia had spread throughout both lungs in 24 hours) absolutely unheard of. The patient went into severe ARDS in about four days after symptom onset. They were all astounded. (The patient was confirmed H1N1 after more extensive testing.)

Taken, DON'T let negative comments or uninformed opinions throw you off from bringing this information to Wild Survive.  If people want to read it, they can.  If they don't like it, they don't have to read it.  I'm just sayin'...

Commentary

WHO Issues Pandemic H3N2pdm11 CDC PCR Kit Guidance

Recombinomics Commentary 02:45

December 03, 2011

Three cases of human infection with a novel influenza A virus in children were recently reported by the United States of America. The virus is a reassortant between the swine-origin Influenza triple reassortant A(H3N2) viruses circulating in the swine population in the United States of America since 1998 and the A(H1N1)pdm09 virus (M gene only). Sequences of whole genomes of the three viruses have been uploaded in GISAID. A candidate reassortant vaccine virus developed from A/Minnesota/11/2010 is available. The WHO Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS) has been informed and guidance to laboratories using CDC real-time RT-PCR diagnostic kits to detect this new reassortant virus has been issued.

The above comments are from the WHO update on influenza activity.  The update notes that the vaccine seed stocks, (sequences released at GISAID August 3) were available and guidance for use of PCR test kit for indirect detection of H3N2pdm11 has been issued.

This kit includes an NP target which cross reacts with H3N2pdm11, as does H3 with seasonal target.

The sequences from A/Iowa/07/2011, A/Iowa/08/2011, A/Iowa/09/2011 are currently available at GISAID and Genbank sequences are being processed and should be accessible shortly (which will activate above links, which have accession numbers).

Media Link 

Recombinomics Presentations

Recombinomics Publications

Recombinomics Paper at Nature Precedings

This commentary tells me that there's a new novel influenza (that's a flu virus that's just learning to jump species from pigs to humans) is on the upswing. It's been isolated in humans in Iowa. Very interesting.  :smoke: