WildSurvive Forum

N95 masks are supposed to be 95% effective against preventing the virus if worn properly.  Saturday we are going to town for a day of shopping, I'm going to pick up a mask at Menards and wear it all day.  Not really because I'm afraid of catching it, I just want to see peoples reactions to it.  I think it will be interesting for sure lol

~SK

Coming home from town today, I heard on the local radio station , that there may be one case of Swine flu here in Illinois. In Chicago.... But hasnt been confirmed yet....

I'm worried because I'm working in a huge open floor building with thousands of cubicles filled with thousands of hacking, coughing, sneezing people!  scared011.gif 

Yah hold something over your mouth when you cough. Well Im not sick yet and the other guy isnt holding any thing over their mouth.  :curse:

Well W.H.O. raised the level to 5 just one away from Pandemic. We have 109 cases in 11 states at the moment. And all those masks people are wearing won't due you any good. As air can enter from the sides.

This is just going to have to run its course. It will be a couple of months before the Govt can come up with a vaccine.

Its kinda bad that a bill in front of Congress just got voted down that would fund combating flu out breaks. Guess who did that?

This thank fully doesnt seem to be a killer strain so far but it sure is a wake up call that Taken has been warning about.

I dunno, I hadn't heard about it.  But I wouldn't trust the lunkheads from either party or the bureaucrats to handle a really serious pandemic.

....and this is how Swine flu is transmitted from animal to humans....I'm no medical expert, but this certainly has some merit...  :P

swineflutxmit.jpg

Rocky, I love it when you show your baby pictures! You are so adorable! :hug:  :rofl:

~ What I've learned from this New Flu event:

1.  It takes less than a week for a new influenza virus to spread around the globe.

2. No country can contain influenza, the economy cannot take the closing of borders or banning of flights. Even a mild influenza Pandemic costs billions to the economy. 

3. Most people are ignorant about basic Science, so there will be tons of misinformation, AND anger, and stupid decisions like killing all of the pigs in Isreal. 

4. The public is spoiled. Because people aren't falling dead in droves, (after seven days), the public didn't get the drama they were promised, and so they are outraged at the press, more or less, for keeping them informed. They are accusing the media of fear mongering.  :glare:  I've only heard the news channels reporting facts. I think the news has gone out of their way to reduce public fear, and STILL there are always a few people who insist on jumping up on the fear mongering soap box. They don't site examples, they just complain.  :thumbdown:

NOBODY can predict how a new virus will impact the public. The fact is, in our country, anybody who has flu-like symptoms, is receiving Tamiflu. That didn't happen in Mexico. The general public can't see the potential for reassortment that this novel virus represents as a future problem. They've been lulled into believing a vaccine will be available. Thousands of people have died of regular flu since January... and we've had a vaccine for years.

It's the same thing that the hurricane predictors go through when trying to predict landfall. It's not an exact science. They complain about not being warned... then they complain about being made to evacuate when the storm hit next door and not at their house. It's a lose/lose situation if you're a Scientist trying to predict Nature.  :nono:  We are a society of spoiled Brats. We don't want to hear about it unless it's going to affect us Personally, RIGHT now. If it's dangerous then YOU deal with it ... it's YOUR job. Don't tell ME anything that might make me uncomfortable or I will label you, and accuse you of trying to scare me! However, don't lie to me or keep ANYTHING From me or I will label you and accuse you of down-playing the danger!  cool14.gif

If I was in charge, I wouldn't tell anybody anything anymore. screw'em.  :smoke:

It's done nothing but create a nation of whiners and complainers and people who sit on their butts and expect to be spoon-fed everything they know.

It's done nothing but create crowds of loafers who sit on the steps of city hall, waiting to be saved.  :thumbdown: 

I'd just let the storm clouds roll in from the distance across the ocean. If Nature screams at them to leave, then let them leave. That way, when they are waist deep in sea water, it's their own fault. They have nobody to blame but themselves for not reading the signs.

When you can't point a finger at anyone but yourself, you learn real quick to shut up and pay attention to what nature is telling you.  cool14.gif

They are trying to make some thing out of what Vice President Biden said about avoiding crowds. They call it a gaff but when some one who has swine flu sneezes or coughs on an air plane does every body have the possibly to get infected? You bet they do. So a gaff is to pretend it doesnt so people wont fly. So its a lie so money talks instead of common sense right?    :nono:

U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

(As of May 5, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)  States # of

laboratory

confirmed

cases                   Deaths

Alabama 4   

Arizona 17   

California 49   

Colorado 6   

Connecticut 2   

Delaware 20   

Florida 5   

Georgia 1   

Idaho 1   

Illinois 82   

Indiana 3   

Iowa 1   

Kansas 2   

Kentucky* 1   

Louisiana 7   

Maine 1   

Maryland 4   

Massachusetts 6   

Michigan 2   

Minnesota 1   

Missouri 1   

Nebraska 1   

Nevada 1   

New Hampshire 1   

New Jersey 6   

New Mexico 1   

New York 90   

North Carolina 1   

Ohio 3   

Oregon 15   

Pennsylvania 1   

Rhode Island 1   

South Carolina 16   

Tennessee 2   

Texas 41                       1

Utah 1   

Virginia 3   

Wisconsin 3   

TOTAL (38) 403 cases 1 death

~ The 2009 H1N1 (Swine) flu virus has now made its way into the Southern Hemisphere (Where their normal seasonal flu season is just beginning.)

Here's why we shouldn't let our guard down. Even though this virus is pretty mild at present, most people have no immunity to it because it is a brand new strain. Our saving grace is that Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) can still help stop it once people catch it. However...

A whopping 98 percent of this year's circulating H1N1 flu strains are immune to Tamiflu, compared with only 12 percent during the 2007-2008 flu season.

With this virus circulating now, in the Southern Hemisphere, there will be ample opportunity for it to pick up the Tamiflu resistant Marker that most of the H1N1 strains carry. THIS is what has a lot of people on edge.

There's just no way to predict how the virus will reassort. We've never had the ability to follow the makings of a pandemic virus so closely. This is a great opportunity for the world to learn what works and what doesn't.

It took just one small genetic change, ONE CHANGE, to turn the 1918 virus from a mild Late Spring flu, into a killer virus the following October.

So settle in, and don't get wrapped around the axle of expecting this to resolve itself on a 24-hour news cycle.  Because we are weeks away from knowing the real scope and more importantly, the depth of this new virus.

We aren't gonna know anytime soon.   

In the next few weeks, this virus will do one of two things:  It will either burn itself out, or it will go pandemic.  And even if it appears to burn out, it could come back in the fall, revamped and reassorted.  That is one reason why public health authorities are making the decisions they are making.

(As of May 7, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)  States Laboratory

confirmed

cases Deaths

Alabama 4 

Arizona 48 

California 106 

Colorado 17 

Connecticut 4 

Delaware 38 

Florida 5 

Georgia 3 

Hawaii 3 

Idaho 1 

Illinois 204 

Indiana 15 

Iowa 5 

Kansas 7 

Kentucky* 2 

Louisiana 7 

Maine 4 

Maryland 4 

Massachusetts 71 

Michigan 9 

Minnesota 1 

Missouri 4 

Nebraska 4 

Nevada 5 

New Hampshire 2 

New Jersey 7 

New Mexico 8 

New York 98 

North Carolina 7 

Ohio 5 

Oklahoma 1 

Oregon 15 

Pennsylvania 2 

Rhode Island 2 

South Carolina 17 

Tennessee 2 

Texas 91                      2

Utah 8 

Virginia 11 

Washington 23 

Wisconsin 26 

TOTAL (41) 896 cases 2 deaths

~ Ironically, I wish I could catch it right now, while it is mild. So that I would have some sort of lifetime resistance to, or recognition of it. If, by chance, it happens to genetically drift, or shift into something worse this Fall... those people who caught it this Spring will have a natural defense against it. :thumbup:

(As of May 11, 2009, 12:41 PM ET)  States* Laboratory

confirmed

cases Deaths

Alabama 4 

Arizona 182 

California 191 

Colorado 39 

Connecticut 24 

Delaware 44 

Florida 54 

Georgia 3