WildSurvive Forum

Top Flu Experts Warn of Swine Flu & Bird Flu possibly mixing

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/08/health/main5001182.shtml

"This H1N1 hasn't been overblown. It's a puppy, it's an infant, and it's growing. This virus has got the whole human population in the world to breed in it may become a wimp and disappear, or it may become nasty."

Dr. Robert Webster, virologist

~ Here's the concern: H5N1 has already proven to be in the Pig population in Indonesia.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/05170501/Swimanization_H5N1_Indonesia.html

What happens if this mixed hybrid H1N1 virus gets to Indonesia, and recombines with this swine version of H5N1?

Right now, everyone's eyes are fixed on Indonesia, waiting to see if H1N1 invades Indonesia.

~ In the CBS news story (Link in above post) they say that H5N1 has not been established in pigs. 

This is not true.  :nop:

H5N1 has been proven to be established in the pig populations in Indonesia, AND cats as well. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/oct1006pigs.html

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/270449

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/05170501/Swimanization_H5N1_Indonesia.html

We already know how fast a human can pass this new H1N1 strain to pigs because a Canadian Farmer accidently gave it to his 200 pigs last week.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/03/swine.flu.canada/

So what happens if 2009 H1N1 gets into people in Indonesia (a country that has a large backyard pig population where 10 out of 20 pigs carry H5N1) ?

In the world of influenza, Indonesia has the makings of a "Perfect Storm" .

~ For daily updates of the countries affected by 2009 H1N1

go here:  http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/updates/en/index.html

~ If anybody hears that 2009 Swine H1N1 is in Indonesia, please post it here! I WANNA KNOW about it as soon as I can.  

Here is the U.S. website for Pandemic Preparedness for individuals and families. Being survival buffs, most of us will already be prepared for stuff like this, but it never hurts to read over things and be ready. If this flu is going to morph into something worse, you've still got several months to get ready. So DO it. Always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.  :thumbup:

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/tab3.html

~ Oh... BTW, I'm not trying to make anybody afraid.  :peace:

I, for one, am not afraid when I am prepared, and when I kind of know what to watch for.

I'm just trying to give you guys some knowledge that is not on mainstream media.  :thumbup:

I'm posting links so that you know where I get my info. from.

My intuition is telling me to watch Indonesia.  :arigato: 

If this new Swine flu goes into Indonesia, nothing good will come out of there.  :nono:

I aint a scared.  Taken your doing a great job so keep it up. Survival is learning what you need to know to avoid or what to watch for. This is no small concern for all of us.

I am not afraid. But am concerned that this will become something really serious if it mutates again. It could become the next plague. There is nothing saying this won't mutate with the avian flu and really become a serious threat to the health of the world.

Just look how fast this spreads here in the US in a matter of weeks.

~ Indonesia's Minister of Health, (Looney Toon), Dr. Supari, has stated that She thinks that Indonesians will not be susceptible to Swine flu because it tends to attack people of Mexican origin. This is the woman who is responsible for reporting and containing a virus that could very well turn deadly in her country.  :nono:

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2009/04/why-dr-supari-makes-us-crazy.html

Just as it has been with H5N1 over the last few years, all of the reports coming out of Indonesia concerning this new Swine H1N1 virus, are sketchy and full of questions and holes. In the reports they say things like "monitored for symptoms" and "given Tamiflu" until symptoms disappeared.  :thumbdown:

So we don't even know if they are testing ANYBODY for anything. This wouldn't be such a big deal here, but when you are a country with H5N1 already established in your pig population, you MIGHT want to know if H1N1 is in your country.   wacky115.gif

She won't report it even if it IS found.   :thumbdown:

Indonesia: Pilot suspected of having H1N1

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2009/05/indonesia-pilot-is-suspected-h1n1-case.html

“Samples have been sent for examination, but we can’t announce the result. The authority is belonging to Health Minister”,

Don't you KNOW Taken! IT's those slanty eyes the indonesians have, the virus just can't get in there because of thier eye orientation! Sheesh! I thought you knew all this stuff! :P (honestly, that is absurd! And these people are the AUTHORITY???)

Hey! We have a CONFIRMED case in our County! It was confirmed yesterday! Uhhh, but here's the patients comments (not joking either, this was what he told the local newspaper):

I just didn't feel well and had a slight fever for two days and decided to go to my physician to get some anti-biotics. My doctor told me to stay home for a minimum of 5 days, which I did, but by the time the results came back that I was infected with H1N1, I was already feeling 100 percent.

It may be possible that the people who had it and over came it will have an immunity to the next round. (by the way my throat is sore and my nose is running.)  :dribble:

Breaking News-Celebrity Death from Swine Flu

And we all know who gave it to him.......................................................

image0011rrl.jpg

Breaking News-Celebrity Death from Swine Flu

And we all know who gave it to him.......................................................

image0011rrl.jpg

:rofll:  It's not easy bein' green!

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

H1N1 in Thailand: Concerns for Mixing of H5N1 & H1N1?

The US CDC confirmed two cases of H1N1 after testing two specimens in the US lab sent from Thailand yesterday. These are the first cases in Southeast Asia. (In the Asian region, there was one case in Hong Kong, and 3 in the Republic of Korea). There are suspected cases (awaiting lab-confirmation) of H1N1 in Indonesia as well.

"There were two confirmed cases of type A (H1N1), both of them contracted in Mexico," the Thai Public Health Minister said. "These persons are now well, not sick, without fever. They are now in a normal condition after undergoing a five-day antiviral regimen. The patients have fully recovered and returned home."

As CDC and WHO officials said this week, there is concern that with H1N1 circulating alongside seasonal flu strains and H5N1 (avian influenza) there is a greater risk that the H1N1 (or other viruses) will combine, reassort, and mutate into a different virus strain.

It's certainly too early to tell whether this will happen or not, but world health officials are urging vigilance. Dr. Schuchat, during a CDC press briefing over the weekend, noted that surveillance at the animal-human interface and in regions where multiple influenza type-A viruses are circulating will provide timely information about any reassortment or genetic shifts in the viruses.

Thailand has already alerted its vast village health volunteer network, which has been used for surveillance for H5N1 (avian influenza), to be on the lookout for severe influenza-like illness and inform the health ministry of any suspected cases.

http://avianflunetwork.blogspot.com/2009/05/h1n1-in-thailand-concerns-for-mixing-of.html

Table. U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

(As of May 22, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)  States* Confirmed and Probable Cases Deaths

Alabama 66 cases 0 deaths

Arkansas 3 cases 0 deaths

Arizona 520 cases 2 deaths

California 553 cases 0 deaths

Colorado 59 cases 0 deaths

Connecticut 81 cases 0 deaths

Delaware 94 cases 0 deaths

Florida 129 cases 0 deaths

Georgia 27 cases 0 deaths

Hawaii 33 cases 0 deaths

Idaho 18 cases 0 deaths

Illinois 877 cases 0 deaths

Indiana 106 cases 0 deaths

Iowa 71 cases 0 deaths

Kansas 34 cases 0 deaths

Kentucky** 22 cases 0 deaths

Louisiana 86 cases 0 deaths

Maine 9 cases 0 deaths

Maryland 41 cases 0 deaths

Massachusetts 197 cases 0 deaths

Michigan 176 cases 0 deaths

Minnesota 39 cases 0 deaths

Mississippi 7 cases 0 deaths

Missouri 24 cases 1 deaths

Montana 10 cases 0 deaths

Nebraska 29 cases 0 deaths

Nevada 32 cases 0 deaths

New Hampshire 23 cases 0 deaths

New Jersey 47 cases 0 deaths

New Mexico 97 cases 0 deaths

New York 327 cases 1 deaths

North Carolina 12 cases 0 deaths

North Dakota 5 cases 0 deaths

Ohio 14 cases 0 deaths

Oklahoma 50 cases 0 deaths

Oregon 101 cases 0 deaths

Pennsylvania 73 cases 0 deaths

Rhode Island 9 cases 0 deaths

South Carolina 36 cases 0 deaths

South Dakota 4 cases 0 deaths

Tennessee 89 cases 0 deaths

Texas 900 cases 3 deaths

Utah 122 cases 1 deaths

Vermont 2 cases 0 deaths

Virginia 25 cases 0 deaths

Washington 494 cases 1 death

Washington, D.C. 13 cases 0 deaths

Wisconsin 766 cases 0 deaths

TOTAL*(48) 6,552 cases 9 deaths

*includes the District of Columbia

**one case is resident of KY but currently hospitalized in GA.

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 39

26 May 2009 --

As of 06:00 GMT, 26 May 2009, 46 countries have officially reported 12 954 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection, including 92 deaths.

The number of deaths in the U.S. is now at 12. That's not unusual for influenza. The only striking feature of this flu is that the victims who succomb to the disease are mostly in the 20-55 age range. Regular influenza usually kills infants and people aged 65 and over.

They keep insisting that all of these victims have underlying health issues, and the victim's families are speaking out saying that's not always the case. The 55 year old man in New York, just had gout. And the 33 year old pregant woman's husband went on Larry King and said she was very active and healthy. They listed "pregnancy" as an underlying chronic health condition. She did have some mild seasonal asthma when she was younger. Any victim that isn't within their Ideal weight range, is being listed as having a Chronic underlying health issue reguardless of how active or healthy they are.

Either way, this flu is killing people that influenza doesn't normally kill. Not in great numbers though.

I am so glad we are tracking this.  I've been hearing more and more about people getting sick with a nasty "virus" here in Charlotte.  It makes me wonder if it's possibly the flu.  :unsure: 

I am really concerned about working in such a huge office where so many people are hacking and coughing all the time.  I'm trying to keep my hands sanitized and not touch my eyes or my mouth with my hands, but then I find myself chewing on the top of my pen while I'm reviewing an appraisal and suddenly I'm horrified, thinking how many germs I just stuck in my mouth! :scared: 

Web page updated May 29, 2009,

11:00 AM ET

Data reported to CDC by May 27, 2009, 12:00 AM (midnight) ET

(Updated Mon, Wed, and Fri) States* Confirmed and Probable Cases Deaths

Alabama 71 cases 0 deaths

Arkansas 6 cases 0 deaths

Arizona 540 cases 3 deaths

California 553 cases 0 deaths

Colorado 68 cases 0 deaths

Connecticut 149 cases 0 deaths

Delaware 115 cases 0 deaths

Florida 165 cases 0 deaths

Georgia 28 cases 0 deaths

Hawaii 71 cases 0 deaths

Idaho 12 cases 0 deaths

Illinois 1002 cases 2 deaths

Indiana 138 cases 0 deaths

Iowa 71 cases 0 deaths

Kansas 34 cases 0 deaths

Kentucky** 50 cases 0 deaths

Louisiana 114 cases 0 deaths

Maine 11 cases 0 deaths

Maryland 48 cases 0 deaths

Massachusetts 416 cases 0 deaths

Michigan 229 cases 0 deaths

Minnesota 47 cases 0 deaths

Mississippi 13 cases 0 deaths

Missouri 29 cases 1 death

Montana 14 cases 0 deaths

Nebraska 43 cases 0 deaths

Nevada 84 cases 0 deaths

New Hampshire 35 cases 0 deaths

New Jersey 72 cases 0 deaths

New Mexico 97 cases 0 deaths

New York 553 cases 4 deaths

North Carolina 14 cases 0 deaths

North Dakota 6 cases 0 deaths

Ohio 18 cases 0 deaths

Oklahoma 67 cases 0 deaths

Oregon 132 cases 0 deaths

Pennsylvania 123 cases 0 deaths

Rhode Island 13 cases 0 deaths

South Carolina 41 cases 0 deaths

South Dakota 6 cases 0 deaths

Tennessee 100 cases 0 deaths

Texas 1403 cases 3 deaths

Utah 122 cases 1 death

Vermont 3 cases 0 deaths

Virginia 29 cases 0 deaths

Washington 575 cases 1 death

Washington, D.C. 14 cases 0 deaths

Wisconsin 1430 cases 0 deaths

Wyoming 1 case 0 deaths

TOTAL*(49) 8,975 cases 15 deaths

**one case is resident of KY but currently hospitalized in GA.

Well it has reached all 50 states now.

Table. U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection

Web page updated June 1, 2009,

11:00 AM ET

Data reported to CDC by May 28, 2009, 12:00 AM (midnight) ET

(Updated Mon, Wed, and Fri) States* Confirmed and Probable Cases Deaths

Alabama 84 cases 0 deaths

Alaska 1 case 0 deaths

Arkansas 7cases 0 deaths

Arizona 547 cases 4 deaths

California 804 cases 0 deaths

Colorado 61 cases 0 deaths

Connecticut 196 cases 0 deaths

Delaware 121 cases 0 deaths

Florida 166 cases 0 deaths

Georgia 29 cases 0 deaths

Hawaii 73 cases 0 deaths

Idaho 13 cases 0 deaths

Illinois 1103 cases 3 deaths

Indiana 146 cases 0 deaths

Iowa 71 cases 0 deaths

Kansas 79 cases 0 deaths

Kentucky** 77 cases 0 deaths

Louisiana 122 cases 0 deaths

Maine 11 cases 0 deaths

Maryland 48 cases 0 deaths

Massachusetts 470 cases 0 deaths

Michigan 234 cases 0 deaths

Minnesota 60 0 deaths

Mississippi 16 cases 0 deaths

Missouri 36 cases 1 death

Montana 14 cases 0 deaths

Nebraska 43 cases 0 deaths

Nevada 102 cases 0 deaths

New Hampshire 40 cases 0 deaths

New Jersey 74 cases 0 deaths

New Mexico 108 cases 0 deaths

New York 605 cases 4 deaths

North Carolina 14 cases 0 deaths

North Dakota 6 cases 0 deaths

Ohio 23 cases 0 deaths

Oklahoma 82 cases 0 deaths

Oregon 148 cases 0 deaths

Pennsylvania 123 cases 0 deaths

Rhode Island 14 cases 0 deaths

South Carolina 46 cases 0 deaths

South Dakota 7 cases 0 deaths

Tennessee 104 cases 0 deaths

Texas 1403 cases 3 deaths

Utah 247 cases 1 death

Vermont 3 cases 0 deaths

Virginia 31 cases 0 deaths

Washington 575 cases 1 death

Washington, D.C. 20 cases 0 deaths

West Virginia 3 cases 0 deaths

Wisconsin 1641 cases 0 deaths

Wyoming 2 cases 0 deaths

TOTAL*(51) 10,053 cases 17 deaths

Commentary

Critical Swine H1N1 Cases In Canada Raise Pandemic Concerns

Recombinomics Commentary 00:25

June 10, 2009

Currently, there are 26 people - 23 adults and three children - in intensive care units of Manitoba hospitals, using ventilators to aid their strained breathing from flu-related reasons.

It is expected many of them will be confirmed as cases of swine flu, or the H1N1 influenza A virus, Manitoba's chief medical officer of health, Dr. Joel Kettner, said at a press conference Monday afternoon.

Another 25 children are in hospitals with respiratory illnesses and are being tested for swine flu, according to health officials.

Typically, at this time of year, there are very few - if any - cases of severe flu, said Kettner.

The above comments describe the deteriorating situation in Manitoba. Yesterday, 15 more ventilators were requested as the number of serious swine flu victims grows, Media reports indicate hundreds more are sick with mild illness and large numbers of confirmed cases have also been announced in adjacent Nunavut (see updated map). Patients on ventilators are typically in critical condition, raising concerns of a significant increase in the swine fu death toll in Canada.

The sudden jump in serious cases raises concerns that as the virus spreads and cases grow, other communities around the world may face similar episodes.

The serious cases have increase pressure on WHO to raise the pandemic phase level to 6, signaling the worldwide spread of the virus. Although many countries outside of North America are attempting to limit spread through border checks, the virus has already spread worldwide and community spread is largely undetected because resources and testing is concentrated at airports.

As countries focus attention on community spread, the number of confirmed cases will rise dramatically, increasing pandemic concerns.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/06100901/H1N1_Canada_Critical.html

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 46

10 June 2009 --

As of 06:00 GMT, 10 June 2009, 74 countries have officially reported 27,737 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection, including 141 deaths. The U.S leads in the number of cases, 12,217 to date with 27 deaths.

The breakdown of the number of laboratory-confirmed cases by country is given in the following table and map.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_06_10a/en/index.html