WildSurvive Forum

Influenza pandemic alert raised to phase 6

11 June 2009 -- On the basis of available evidence and expert assessments of the evidence, the scientific criteria for an influenza pandemic have been met. The Director-General of WHO has therefore decided to raise the level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 5 to phase 6. "The world is now at the start of the 2009 influenza pandemic," she said at a press conference today.

Read Dr Chan's statement to the press

~ I've been trying to keep up with people in this country who have died of Swine flu, but it's getting more and more obscure and difficult. The numbers seem to be increasing, but very little publicity surrounds these deaths anymore. :glare:

The one thing you folks need to realize is that these so-called victims are not being paraded by you for a reason. The ONLY thing that is constant is the phrase, "Underlying chronic health problems." :thumbdown: This phrase is in EVERY SINGE article on any victim of Swine Flu. :unsure:

But when you do some research, you find out that the underlying "Chronic Health Problems" are simple things such as "PREGNANCY".

Or Over Weight.... or even Asthma in childhood. That would be a lot of you folks. It's like they are discounting these deaths and weaving a thread of deception in our minds that these folks were very frail and sickly, when they were not.

The STRIKING thing you need to realize is that this virus, when it does kill (and that is NOT very often right now) it is killing young people who are in the prime of their lives.

It has already claimed the lives of 2 pregnant women... both of whom never got to hold their babies (who were delivered by emergency means). One Mother was a school teacher from Texas only 33 years old, and the other mother was a 20 year old from Chicago who went into premature labor due to her illness. These are two infants who will never know their mothers. Pregant women are especially at risk for this illness. It's hitting them hard, and making them sicker than normal. :nono:

judytrunnell.jpg

Judy Trunnell, of Texas. 33 year old pregant victim of Swine Flu whose baby was taken from her via C-section after she went into ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) from Swine flu. She had mild asthma when she was younger, so the health department said she had chronic underlying health issues.... (Pregnancy, and mild asthma as a child). 8|

"Comments CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Map, News) - The husband of the first American with swine flu to die is denying media reports that she had a pre-existing medical condition. Steven Trunnell told CNN's "Larry King Live" Monday night that his late pregnant wife was "a healthy woman" who had never been diagnosed with "major medical complications of any kind."

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/05/19/Husband_says_wife_had_been_healthy_until_swine_flu_z/

The World Health Organization says that 27 people in our country have died of Swine flu. This number has grown even larger today, but won't be released to the W.H.O. until several days from now.

Here's a Nine year old who died in California, that they are finally admitting did not have ANY chronic underlying health problems...

http://www.ktvu.com/news/19658330/detail.html

Now you read obscure tiny articles that say things like "Sixteen New Yorkers have been killed by the virus, the latest being a victim in their 40's"....

http://www.fox44.net/Global/story.asp?S=10525691 No details.... just imbedded stories you have to search for on the net.

The bottom line is, this virus is attacking an unusual population of folks than regular flu does, and nobody knows why. That's the truth. NOBODY knows why it is attacking young healthy people. That's scary, and that's why the media downplays all of these deaths to maintain the common "lull". :smoke:

These people who are dying are NOT a bunch of sickly, feeble folks on their death beds. censored.gif They are regular folks like you and me.

If you died tomorrow of Swine flu, would they be able to find "something" else wrong with you to lull the rest of us into believing that we're not as sickly as you are. That's just wrong. This is America.... we ALL have underlying "issues" LOL!

Taken, the media is so gungho on sensationalizing everything else, why aren't they jumping all over this too?  :unsure:

Well they recorded the first death around me due to the H1N1 flu. A 15 yr old boy passed yesterday. He was on life support in the hospital. And there is still another child that is on life support due to the flu. It has run rampant through the schools around here. So instead of just closing the schools a week early and containing this they are still making the kids go to school.

That is horrible!  Why was it so important to make the kids go to school when it was life-threatening to do so?  :unsure:  I just don't understand. :nono:

Commentary South of the Equator, it's Winter, and it's peak flu season. Reports are coming out of Argentina that made warning bells go off in my mind. First of all, a herd of pigs down there have contracted human H1N1 (the same thing happened in 1918) the virus shifted back and forth between Swine and People, at random, gaining momentum, shifting and drifting....

"New Mutation found in H1N1 in Brazil"

June 18, 2009

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/06/17/New_H1N1_virus_mutation_found_what_it_means/

Soaring Death Rate in Buenos Aires Raises Pandemic Concerns

Recombinomics Commentary 18:03

June 27, 2009

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/06270901/H1N1_Buenos_Aires.html

Medical Emergency in Buenos Aires Raises Pandemic Concerns

Recombinomics Commentary 23:43

June 27, 2009

"There have also been reports of travelers from Argentina testing positive at airport checks in multiple countries. These travelers should provide multiple samples for sequencing studies to determine if there have been changes in the virus"

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/06270902/H1N1_Buenos_Aires_Emergency.html

Hospitals Verging on Collapse in Argentina

Recombinomics Commentary 23:28

June 28, 2009

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/06280901/H1N1_Argentina_Collapse.html

(Is this a preveiw of what our up and coming flu season will be like?)

Get ready friends. That's what I've been doing. :thumbup:

You know Taken, I've always supported your information and will always continue to. I just want to throw this in there for face value.

My brother and his new wife just got back from Buenos Aires where his wife's parents live. I just got off the phone

with him and her, and she said there was no "buzz" about a pandemic or any worry over there about healthcare.

There may be a threat, I'm not negating that, but it might be localized and not as wide spread as we might conjure that it may be.

For example:

I have been in the middle East, particularly Iraq. It was some time ago, but I know all the cities and regions they mention in the news. Now, Iraq is about the size of California, and most people think the whole country is fighting and in chaos and that you can't travel anywhere without hitting a roadside bomb or being kidnapped and getting beheaded. But, in my experience, the amount of areas that the likelihood of that happening is about small......very small. The comparison, is like thinking California is ALL a hell zone because of the crap that went on in South Central LA. But the whole country is jaded because of the media. We haven't been there so we think the WHOLE country is bad. It's just not the case.

Ok, my 2 cents. 

You know Taken, I've always supported your information and will always continue to. I just want to throw this in there for face value.

My brother and his new wife just got back from Buenos Aires where his wife's parents live. I just got off the phone

with him and her, and she said there was no "buzz" about a pandemic or any worry over there about healthcare.

There may be a threat, I'm not negating that, but it might be localized and not as wide spread as we might conjure that it may be.

For example:

I have been in the middle East, particularly Iraq. It was some time ago, but I know all the cities and regions they mention in the news. Now, Iraq is about the size of California, and most people think the whole country is fighting and in chaos and that you can't travel anywhere without hitting a roadside bomb or being kidnapped and getting beheaded. But, in my experience, the amount of areas that the likelihood of that happening is about small......very small. The comparison, is like thinking California is ALL a hell zone because of the crap that went on in South Central LA. But the whole country is jaded because of the media. We haven't been there so we think the WHOLE country is bad. It's just not the case.

Ok, my 2 cents.

~ Well I don't know anyone from Buenos Aries, I only know what I find on research websites. The media isn't "hyping" all of this up at all. :unsure:

These articles are not on mainstream internet. They aren't on "Yahoo news", or CNN headline news. I find them on very well-respected Scientific websites.

It doesn't surpirse me in the least that there is no "buzz" about a pandemic or any worry there about healthcare. Do any of her relatives work in a hospital? In the articles that I posted (If you read them) it mentioned that the Buenos Aries doctors were "More concerned about seasonal flu" than H1N1. That's a Bizzarre thing to say seeing how H1N1 has completely outpaced seasonal influenza all over the world, and seeing how we're in the middle of the first Pandemic in over 40 years. 8|

It sounds to me, like everybody is downplaying this Pandemic. I have to ask myself "why?". There's a fine line between sharing information and creating panic. It's like driving with one foot on the gas and one on the brakes.

There's not a lot of "Buzz" about pandemic in The United States either. :nono: In the first few weeks back in April, they announced every single case.... now you hardly hear about it. Every week in our country young Americans die of this flu. Last year in June, there weren't 45 people aged 14-50 dying of influenza, but you probably haven't heard any "buzz" about that either. :smoke:

As a health care worker, I find that astounding, and I am in awe of the media's power to tell folks what and who (Michael Jackson) to focus on. wacky115.gif

four weeks ago, 17 People in the United States had died of H1N1.

three weeks ago that number went to 27,

two weeks ago, it climbed to 48,

one week ago, it reached 89

This past Friday, it climbed to 127.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

Most of these victims are between the ages of 20 and 50 years of age. That's not normal. I don't care how you look at it. Influenza doesn't go around killing 20 year olds.... until now. Of COURSE they don't want us to focus on it. There's no vaccine. There won't be a vaccine for many months. Why focus on the shortcomings of our Healthcare, when we can focus on Farrah, and Michael? :whistle:

I hesitated even logging on and posting anything at all.

Just because of the attitudes I get everytime I do. :peace: My collegues at work are plenty interested in what I have to share. That's who I've decided to communicate with. We're in the first mild wave of the first Pandemic we've seen in over 40 years. And nobody is going to hear any "buzz" until somebody they know is dead, because we're Americans, we're all addicted to "speed", and have attention spans like gerbils. That's just how we roll. cool14.gif

:wave:

~ I like to take my lessons from History itself:

"The prospect of a pandemic might also just be too disturbing to consciously consider. The same disbelief existed in 1918. From fancy dress balls in the Johannesburg City Hall in Spanish costume emblazoned with “Spanish flu” to Londoners holding “sneezing parties” with a bottle of champagne given as prize to the lustiest sneeze, the citizens of the world in early 1918 ridiculed as a joke the threat of “Spanish Influenza.” They were not laughing for long"

A year after California Senator Hiram Johnson coined the famous phrase, “The first casualty when war comes is truth,” public officials were publicly lying to downplay the 1918 pandemic so as not to undermine the war effort. One of the leading pandemic historians notes how this resulted in a public backlash:

People could see while they were being told on the one hand that it’s ordinary influenza, on the other hand they are seeing their spouse die in 24 hours or less, bleeding from their eyes, ears, nose and mouth, turning so dark that people thought it was the black death. People knew that they were being lied to; they knew that this was not ordinary influenza.

According to historians, the first reaction of most authorities during the 1918 pandemic was “just flat-out denial.” The Chief Health Officer of New Zealand told the papers to “tell your readers not to get upset.” Rome’s Chief Sanitation Officer belittled the flu as a “transitory miniscule phenomenon.” Poland’s Public Health Commission and Rhodesia’s Medical Director issued the identical bromide: “There is no cause for alarm.” Toronto’s Medical Officer was saying, “There is absolutely no necessity for anxiety,” even as the plague arrived on their doorsteps, echoing the Health Commissioner of New York City: “The city is in no danger of an epidemic. No need for our people to worry.” The resulting mistrust of government officials only added to the climate of fear, a scenario modern-day officials are in danger of repeating.

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history,” Aldous Huxley once said, “is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.”

http://birdflubook.com/a.php?id=82

Well we had another child die of from complications from the H1N1 flu around here. So both kids came down with it and were hospitalized in critical condition and both passed away. They were really young also.

Well we had another child die of from complications from the H1N1 flu around here. So both kids came down with it and were hospitalized in critical condition and both passed away. They were really young also.

~  Tatonka, do you live near Buffalo N.Y. ?  Or are you talking about a new cluster of kids?   8|

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/06220901/H1N1_Buffalo.html

I hesitated even logging on and posting anything at all.

Just because of the attitudes I get everytime I do. 

I have read a lot of history books in my time on this hunk of rock, I do not recall one bit of good ever being accomplished by the meek or timid. If it weren't for those brave scientists who saw the truth and taught told it to others we might still be believing the earth is flat.

There are those of us who read a few things ourselves and look forward to your posts.

illegitimus non carborundum!!!

Buffalo. 

I'm sorry for the parents of those children, that has to be utterly devastating to a mother or father. But I am glad then that's it's not a new cluster....though it's hard to imagine there won't be more of them.

The fact is, nobody can predict a killer influenza virus any better than we can predict a killer tornado. All we can do is track them. They are both phenomenal events stirred up by Nature... a pinch of this, a dash of that. But they do occur in a seasonal way, and they cannot be prevented, or stopped. They just have to spin themselves out. There are F5 tornados, category 5 Hurricanes, and, even though they only come around once in a hundred years or so... there are F5 influenza viruses. Nobody knows how to predict the birth of a monster. (As much as we'd like to.) So in this world of Science we have Storm chasers.... and virus hunters. Some people are just fascinated by what they cannot control.

Any storm predictor will tell you that everybody gets mad when they've been told to hunkerdown for no reason, but they get even MORE angry when they've been told not to worry, and they end up losing loved ones. It's a loose/loose situation, because they can't be exact, and the public expects exactness. :nono:

So how do you survive what you cannnot control? You keep your eyes open, and stay prepared. :thumbup:

How do we prepare for a tornado?

We watch for the signs.

How do we prepare for a lethal influenza virus?

we watch for the signs. :arigato:

When it's all said and done, that is all that we can do to survive any natural threat.

Watch for the signs, pray for the best, but prepare for the worst.

And for those who aren't savy at looking for "signs" here are a few: this is just from one random state New Jersey:

"The state Health and Senior Services Department says the latest victim is a woman in her 40s from Bergen County who had underlying health conditions.

The five others in New Jersey who have died from the H1N1 virus include a 79-year-old Hudson County woman, a 36-year-old Union County man, a 15-year-old Somerset County boy, a 10-year-old Sussex County boy and a 49-year-old northern New Jersey man.

I'm telling you, those are NOT normal victims of flu.

Isn't that what we do around here? Watch for signs, compile data, look for trends and patterns, and prepare? Thanks for your time in researching this. I am greatful for the material to read through and study.

Patrick Timpone, radio talk show host:

"Here lately, there has been a lot of Dumb talk (If you don't mind my saying) about this H1N1 flu coming back this Fall with a vengeance. Would you please comment on that sir, if you don't mind?"

Henry L. Niman, Ph.D. - Molecular virologist:

" I can tell you that right now, the 2009 virus is tracking with the 1918 virus, and there is NO indication of that NOT happening. So far, it's right on track."

(for over 3 years, taken by the wind has been silly, and joking and making an appearance with her buddies, when I get serious............. and disappear to get my sh*t together, alarms should go off in your brains. whip.gif

When the proverbial party girl of survival doesn't show up to the party..... get hypervigilant. :ninja:

http://www.oneradionetwork.com/patrick_talks_with_flu_expert_molecular_virologist_dr._henry_l._niman_on_the_flu_pandemic/

Taken, I take you seriously! :hug: 

I wish I didn't have to work in a huge office with hundreds of hacking, coughing, sneezing people.  I just finished a round of antibiotics for bronchitis.  The people at my office have that same upper respiratory infection that all the people had over at the other bank.  So, I've been exposed to it for six months and finally caught it.  :mad:  I can just imagine how bad it's going to be with flu season coming.  :scared:

Taken, I take you seriously! :hug: 

I wish I didn't have to work in a huge office with hundreds of hacking, coughing, sneezing people.  I just finished a round of antibiotics for bronchitis.  The people at my office have that same upper respiratory infection that all the people had over at the other bank.  So, I've been exposed to it for six months and finally caught it.  :mad:  I can just imagine how bad it's going to be with flu season coming.  :scared:

~ That's why I wanna go on the Wild Survive Camping trip this Fall....   :P  I'd rather be camping when all "that" goes down.  :rofl:  I sure as heck don't wanna be at work.  :thumbdown:

~ Well, on this past Friday, the Swine flu death toll in our country rose to 211 people. (The CDC updates their website every Friday at 10:00am EST.)

So, for those who don't realize it yet, our country leads the World in Swine flu cases and deaths now.

So "What's the Big deal about Swine flu?"  Not much yet....   except that the folks who DO die from it are WAY younger than the folks who normally die from influenza. And....... despite what you may read, they do not ALL have underlying health conditions.

This virus kills young adults, and children in the prime of their lives. THAT, in and of itself, is news......  only for some reason it is not. I've never in my live seen a "Downplaying" of events, like I've seen with this virus.  :unsure:

If there was some weird food poisoning event going 'round this Summer, that was killing forty to fifty Americans every single week of the Summer, from nine year old kids to 45 year old grown-ups  ................... Do you think there would be some publicity about it?  :glare:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

You have to ask yourselves WHY?  And why did the President warn us, on Friday, of an impending flu season more severe than normal.?  8|