WildSurvive Forum

My friend Hande Kurt in Istanbul, Turkey posted this picture on Facebook.  She is involved in the health care field and keeps up with worldwide health issues.

swinefluj.png

I'm moving to Africa........

~ Get Your BUG BAGS ready....    :hugegrin:

Since the experts are predicting a much more severe flu season than normal dominated by this Novel H1N1 flu that many of us have no exposure to, you could very well find yourself waking up in the middle of the night feeling like you've just been hit by a truck come flu season.  8|

The experts are telling people who live alone that they need to find a Flu Buddy.... somebody who will promise to help you out should you catch influenza (and vice-versa).

They also are saying to keep an emergency Flu Box (sort of like a bug out bag... only there will be no bugging out so we'll just call it a Bug Bag) next to your bed so you won't even have to get up to find your medicine/kleenex/gatorade, bottled water, extra blanket, thermometer, even a garbage bag lined bucket to puke in.  :thumbup:

Here is a manual you can down-load on how to treat influenza at home.  (You might want to put in your BUG BAG.)  :P  Other Doctors suggest that you put posters in your room that say

things like DRINK FLUIDS!  or EAT SOMETHING!  so that when you awaken from your delierium from time to time, you'll remember to do what you're supposed to do. If you've never had a pandemic strain of influenza, you might think this is silly, but seriously.... you can easily be THAT sick.  They are predicting that hospitals will be overwhelmed and you will be told to just stay home and manage your symptoms on your own if possible.

http://www.birdflumanual.com/resources/Home_Influenza_Treatment/files/Good%20Home%20Treatment%20of%20Influenza/Default.asp

Guest blacksmith

wow glad you keep posting all this

wow glad you keep posting all this

~ You're welcome, blacksmith.  I've downloaded that manual, and I've read it, and it has some very good advice in it. I think it's a must have since it IS free. It was written in anticipation of a Bird flu Pandemic, so in the manual, where it says bird flu, just plug in the words Swine flu instead.  ;)  Even in 1918 97% of the people who caught that bad flu, lived through it, so we have to start getting ready to fight the darn thing if we have to.  :thumbup: 

I'm glad you mentioned that about flu buddies.  I have some friends who live alone and we agreed a long time ago that if we don't hear from each other within a certain amount of time, we'd go check on each other.

Guest blacksmith

you had better I have to got to take you fishing yet

~ The Nation's leading authority on Swine flu (Dr. Henry Niman) has a "'bad feeling" about this upcoming flu season. Not only is he a leading expert, and molecular virologist who studies influenza, and the founder of Recombinomics website, he also is a friend of mine on another website "Flutrackers" (a website I've been a part of for several years)  :whistle: . (that map up there is his handywork)  He knows I'm a health care worker who distrusts the government, and he sent me a personal message two days ago telling me not to hesitate to take the H1N1 flu vaccine.  :unsure:  He doesn't buy into the hype of conspiracy anything. He's a scientist and just sticks to the facts. With his advice, I'm taking whatever vaccine they come out with because Niman "says". And I trust him.

here's his latest interview (the last few minutes)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igO-O33WkG0&feature=related

start at minute 0649 (if you're in a hurry)

~ Well, I've always said that I wished I could catch this Swine Flu in it's mild form, but now the experts are saying that might not be a good thing.  :unsure:

Now, the going theory is that since this 2009 Swine H1N1 has just recently jumped species (From pigs to us). It's been mild throughout the Spring and Summer for the most part, because we are "new" to it,  and all the while it's learning how to spread more efficiently in this new host (people), and between this new host.

Scientists are now speculating that catching it again (after having it earlier in the year) will NOW elicit a MUCH stronger immune response from a person's body since their body will now recognize it, and that these folks who have caught it earlier in its milder form may actually be the ones whose bodies elicit a cytokine storm effect.  :scared:

We really don't know how all of this works because the only other time in History that a pig flu jumped to people and spread worldwide was in 1918. Every virologist out there is speculating on it's next move.

So in a nutshell, the 1918 virus may have become deadly because it spread far and wide and caused only mild symptoms in a number of people all over the planet, and when these people caught the virus again, their bodies overreacted to it. Just like when somebody is allergic to bee stings, the second sting elicits a much worse allergic response.

Interesting theories coming out.  :thumbup:

What the Virologists are saying to each other:

Today, (8/10/09) 02:00 PM  

niman  

Registered User   Join Date: Feb 2006

Re: Mexico Swine Flu Re-infection Spec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgauspohl  

If this is happening in Mexico shouldn't it be getting a lot more media coverage since it has implications for all of us? How much acquired immunity can one expect from a H1N1 vaccine compared to how much you get to an actual real case of H1N1? Does the fact that people in Mexico are getting sick/infected with H1N1 a second time dampen our expectations of how much protection the H1N1 vaccine will give us?

Dr. Niman, do you have any thoughts you could share on these questions?

Quote from Dr. Niman:

"The virus is constantly evolving. I just took a quick look at the HA sequence from Bogata (released today at Genbank), collected in late June. It has FOUR new acquistions. The virus knows what it is doing. It needs to change to survive and it has been doing so for eons (hand waving about new infections in swine and humans in 1918 notwithstanding).

It will rock and roll this fall."

~ Swine H1N1 is really blowing up all over the Southeast since schools started back three weeks ago. We have a surge of cases (School aged children) in our hospital just these past few days.

Also, evidence suggests that the strain that's circulating is Tamiflu resistant.

This is a concern because in early September, the entire Nation will be back to school. We've had colleges in Alabama having to close classes temporarily. Many schools are suspending classes. Also, our ventilator Rep. told me yesterday that they have NO ventilators left to rent. They've had to send everything they have to South America for the Flu season that's raging south of the Equator.  8|

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/08200901/H1N1_South_School.html

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/08220902/H274Y_WA_NC.html

Aside from all that, the one thing in the news that has alarm bells going off in my head is that this Pandemic Swine H1N1 has been found at two Turkey farms in South America.  :scared:

This virus can be transmitted to birds....  So we have the makings of a perfect storm. We NOW have a virus that is capable of jumping readily from Pigs to Birds to People, and all influenza viruses can recombine and better enable themselves to spread. That news is scary.

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/08210901/H1N1_Turkey_Chile.html

~ Swine H1N1 is jumping to Birds...   We now have a virus spreading pandemically that can jump between three species. Birds... Pigs... and People. They say this virus is tracking with the 1918 virus. Maybe this new Bird jump is the reason it became so virulent in October of 1918.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aVFyGLKvnTLw

Swine flu deaths in Latin American Rise to 1,300.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ge8aRYWE6EzUx2edZMasUOmj8ajg

H1N1 was one of the major issues parents brought up during orientation at Wingate University yesterday and today.  The school is 2 miles from a major hospital, thank goodness!  They are fully prepared to quarantine anyone who tests positive for the flu.  Unfortunately, by the time a sick kid goes to the infirmary, he's already exposed everyone in each of his classes, everyone in the cafeteria, everyone on his hall and in his fraternity, etc...but at least the university is trying to contain it.

All of the bathrooms have big signs telling the kids to wash their hands and HOW to wash their hands and to turn the water off using the paper towel they dry their hands off with.  Most of the classrooms have big bottles of hand sanitizer by the front door.

There has been two confirmed cases of H1N1 in my sons school. They called classes off for the entire week. They are returning to school on Monday. It appears that it may have already spread to the county high school although it has not  been confirmed yet. My wife works at one of the local colleges and they are preparing for a major outbreak. They were told to do this by Federal and State Agencies.

~ It doesn't really have to combine with Birdflu to become more virulent. All it has to do is gain one mutation, one amino acid change in the PB1-F2 sequence at position 66...    That's the change that was found in the 1918 virus.

"a single point mutation would remove the stop codon,

and produce a PB2-F2 protein. You can see from the sequence that's all

it would take. Of course, reassortment could also do it, but it's not

necessary."

Hopefully... we can dodge that bullet.

I really think we are in for a disaster of epic proportions with this.

~ well, the virus is changing and mutating constantly. You could be right. The guys who study these virus sequences say they are about 30 days behind the virus always. It takes that long for samples to be collected and sent for testing, and for the virus to be isolated and studied, and for the sequences to be published and compared.

So I keep my eyes open for changes in death rates, and I'm ready to stay home if I have to.  Right now, it kills only about 45-50 people per week in our country. That number is posted each Friday by the CDC. it was 522 last Friday. So this Friday it should still be under 600.