WildSurvive Forum

86 Children have died of Swine H1N1 since Spring

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says about half of the child deaths since September have been among teenagers.  (VERY UNUSUAL)

And overall for the country, deaths from pneumonia and flu-like illnesses have passed what CDC considers an epidemic level.

The CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat (SHU'-kit) says, "These are very sobering statistics."

This new strain is different from regular winter flu because it strikes the young far more than the old, and child deaths are drawing particular attention. Eighty-six children have died of swine flu in the U.S. since it burst on the scene last spring — 43 of those deaths reported in September and early October alone, said CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat. ( two months into this school year, and we've already surpassed the average yearly pediatric death rate from influenza). We haven't even entered peak flu season yet.

That's a startling number because in some past winters, the CDC has counted 40 or 50 child deaths for the entire flu season, she said, and no one knows how long this swine flu outbreak will last. Half of those early fall child deaths are among teenagers, also surprising as preschoolers are thought to be most vulnerable.

From August 30th - Oct. 4th in the U.S. , 2,321 people have died of influenza.

We've had the swine flu go through the call center where my wife teaches, about 2 months ago. About a dozen confirmed cases of people were hit including my wife who was out for 2 weeks. The scariest part of it was her problems breathing,  and needless to say there were a few touchy nights.

The really odd thing was that between us, we took no precautions assuming that infection was all but certain, but as it turns out, I suffered nothing more than a slight cough and congestion for about 36 hours before it was done.

~ That's just it, this virus has gotten around so easily because nobody has natural immunity to it. So some folks have died, some get really sick, and Some folks barely get sick, but they are still contagious for DAYS, spreading it. Nothing you can do about it. 

The virus hasn't changed or "evolved" into anything worse yet, because it hasn't had to. It has an entire planet to infect as is. Once people begin to develop resistance, and mount an immune response either naturally (by catching it), or from a vaccine, the virus will be forced to evolve and reassort with other viruses to exist.

And this particular virus has three species (that we know of ) Birds, pigs, and people in which to tweak itself.

tatonka thanks for calling it by its accual name, its got nothing to do with pigs..........other than they fact they can contract the flu as well

my cousin is a pig broker........and the fact the CBC still calls it SWINE flu.....really is traxing on farmers around here

my cousin is a pig broker........and the fact the CBC still calls it SWINE flu.....really is traxing on farmers around here

Really??  I would have thought that people were a bit more intelligent than that.  It always intrigues me how a word can completely change its context.

I've always said one man's insurgent is another man's freedom fighter.

Well today it was reported that the H1N1 flu vaccine is behind in production

I am getting mine today as work is administering it to the employees today.

just like any other flu to me. I'm not going to get vaccinated. if i die from it, O darn. the last time I had a flu shot was when i was 5 and i've only had the flu twice in my life... so I figure theres more people out there that need it more than me.. take care of the kids first.

Hmmm well so much for me never getting the flu... We have had quite a few cases at school and now I think I'm one of them...

It's hard not to get when you have no immunity to it SK.

Hydrate yourself, don't do anything but rest and if you get worse and worse, go to the hosp.

You need to go to the Doctors and be tested SK. It could be pneumonia or bronchitis or the H1N1 flu. But it is something you need to be concerned with. The temp is the bodies way of fighting infection. And it is better to stay home and get better than go to school and infect others.

You need to go to the Doctors and be tested SK. It could be pneumonia or bronchitis or the H1N1 flu. But it is something you need to be concerned with. The temp is the bodies way of fighting infection. And it is better to stay home and get better than go to school and infect others.

I concur, if you're not better in the morn then get to a doc to be on the safe side. Fever are the in-thing with this flu going around and there are more than a few school age people dying from what they would have fought off last year.

I'm with King here, I never get the flu, and if I get it, oh well...

Famous last words.    :dead:

Still just have a fever, doctor is full, and I'm deffinately not payin 200 bucks for the swine flu test...

Nah you don't need the test. They won't even hardly test unless you're going into the hosp. anyway but see the doc, full or not and get a script if needed.

Sk, That's why your parents have health insurance. It's better to go now than incur larger hospital bills if you end up in the hospital or worse.

Agreed. Better to have the bills now when you can get them. Before you know it, things may change and medical bills and attention become a luxory.

~ Since there is a lot of misinformation about this virus circulating, I thought I would clear it up.

First of all,  NO doctor's office tests for Swine flu (H1N1).  Swine H1N1 also called Novel H1N1 is an influenza A virus. So what the doctor's office does is give a rapid flu test to determine if you have Influenza A.  They do this by doing a nasal swab test. If you test positive for Influenza A, you have greater than a 99% chance of having Swine H1N1. (the reason they know this is because the CDC releases information every Friday, and over 99% of every flu virus they test has been Swine H1N1.) If a patient is really sick (on a ventilator, or about to be) the hospital will often send samples to the CDC to get a definate diagnosis and to also have the virus sequenced to keep up with mutations.

The Doctor's office is NOT sending samples to the CDC, because they were told to stop doing this back in July. The CDC was swamped, and they only want samples from Critical cases, or lethal cases. This way, they only study the most lethal strains.

The problem is, the Rapid flu test that Doctor's offices use, and that Hospitals use, is practically worthless in detecting Novel H1N1. As a matter of fact it has over a 60% False negative test rate. So mostly this virus is going by undetected (until somebody gets very very sick).

This virus has an Avian PB2 gene that causes it to grow way further down in the Respiratory tract than seasonal flu. So when they swab your nose to look for the virus, they don't find it.

If you have flu-like symptoms, tell the doctor to swab your throat instead of your nose. They will have a much better chance of isolating it that way.

This is important because most people are NOT getting treated with an antiviral, even though they have severe flu-like symptoms.

The CDC reported that over 40% of the children who died of H1N1 in the last few months, did NOT receive Tamiflu. Of the ones who did, over 90% of them got it too late to be effective. All because of a rapid flu test that was never designed to pick up H1N1.

There is a widespread strain of H1N1 that is Tamiflu resistant. But it is ALL sensitive to Relenza. If they give you tamiflu, and you don't feel better, you might need relenza. Or just ask for Relenza to begin with.

Don't let anybody tell you that you probably have regular seasonal flu. According to the CDC, Regular Seasonal flu is nowhere to be seen. It might never be back. A pandemic often eradicates the other flu strains, and then everything evolves from the new strain.  

So basically, if you have flu-like symptoms (Fever, nausea, chills, body aches, sore throat, cough, or pneumonia) don't let the doctor tell you it's not flu (based on a rapid flu test done in his office.) tell him you're concerned that the test can't pick it up, and make him give you an antiviral anyway. If they refuse, then tell him you want it written on your chart that you were concerned about the test not being accurate, and that he refused to treat you. (He'll probably treat you.)  A lot of lives might have been saved, if doctors had treated symptoms instead of a test.  :thumbdown:

The rapid flu test is worthless...   and from what I see at work, it's getting even MORE worthless. I've seen some really sick kids with flu symptoms who test negative. These kids have pneumonia, and high oxygen requirements.  They test negative for flu, and negative for RSV. and yet..... they have fever, chills, nausea etc.  and NOBODY is getting an intiviral.

Very strange symptoms showing up in all my years of experience. That scares me.

I called the clinic and asked if I should get a swine flu shot because I had an appointment any way and they are still taking names because they still dont have enough.

I called the clinic and asked if I should get a swine flu shot because I had an appointment any way and they are still taking names because they still dont have enough.

~ Just buy  some hand sanitizer gel, and keep it in your truck. This virus just doesn't spread as easilly as regular flu does. Use hand sanitizer after you go anywhere in public. After you pump gas etc. Since I started doing that last April, I haven't even caught a cold.

"There is a genetic mutation D225G (google it) on this virus that may be more widespread than we think, and if so, the vaccine doesn't target it. (It is also a polymorphism that was present in the 1918 virus). I figured they'd never make a vaccine and mass produce it before the virus started mutating. What's more, a lot of the victims (that they found that mutation in) upon autopsy, had the regular wild-type novel H1N1 growing in their upper respiratory tract, and the D225G strain was growing in their lungs. So some virologists are wondering if the vaccine targets ONLY the novel wild-type H1N1 will it selectively create more success for the D225G strain (which is more lethal.) Just keep doing common sense strategies...  avoid crowds, and keep hand sanitizer in your truck, and use it everytime you get back into your truck.

"Ukraine has reported 388 pneumonia deaths in the past several weeks and agency reports described 90 cases which involved total destruction of both lungs.  Recently released sequences from Mill Hill in London included 4 fatal cases and all four cases had D225G, which was not present in the other six sequences which appear to be from milder cases.

Many of the fatal cases in the United States have also involved ARDS and hemorrhagic lungs, raising concerns that isolates with high levels of D225G can produce the increasing levels of such fatalities being reported throughout the northern hemisphere, including cases in Norway."

http://www.examiner.com/x-27581-H1N1-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m11d25-H1N1-D225G-mutation-a-reason-of-concern-Part-2

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11200906/D225G_Norway_Ukraine_WHO.html

~ here's the deal of late. Nobody's hardly even testing for this virus because we can't find it with our rapid flu tests that were made to detect human seasonal flu. It's always been hard to get a positive flu test for it, and it's getting even harder for some reason. So nobody knows what the virus is doing. Our own hospital doesn't even send in samples anymore on ventilator patients who have it.

It's becoming pretty much tamiflu resistant (from what I see at work), Relenza is the antiviral of choice now. There are STILL people in our unit on ventilators because of this virus, so don't think it's gone away. It just can't spread as easily as seasonal flu does. There have been NO seasonal flu cases identified by the CDC in months. It's ALL swine H1N1. And most of those cases are flying under the radar.

The severity that it attacks some people seems to be related to viral load. It can't spread that well from person to person, so most people do not get a huge viral load when they do get infected, but when they do...  they get way sicker than they would from seasonal flu.

The Virus lacks a Lysine (amino acid) at position 627 (All of our seasonal flu viruses DO have a Lysine at position 627, and this allows the virus to attach at lower than body temperature in the nose, the 1918 H1N1 virus also had a Lysine at position 627.) The current H1N1 has a Glutamic acid at position 627, which is a signature Avian feature. This prevents the virus from spreading like seasonal human flu. When the flu virus attaches in the nose, then every sneeze puts out a tremendous viral load. This virus can't do that... yet.

Right now, this virus can be deadly when a person is infected with a large viral load....  it just can't spread itself around that easily. This explains why most people have mild symptoms, while a few people die from it. It's all about how MUCH of the virus gets into your body.

If this virus, as it is, acquires a Lysine at position 627, it will become way more virulent.

It really hasn't needed to change or recombine to be successful so far. The question is, when it starts bumping heads with acquired immunity or vaccine immunity, will we start to see changes then? Influenza is a master of metamorphosis, and this particular virus can jump species faster than the media can jump to conclusions. 

Time will tell.